Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Dec 10, 2017

Connecting record player to Soundtouch 300 soundbar

Hi, I’m looking to connect my record player to the Soundtouch 300 soundbar without running it through my TV. If I got a Soundtouch 10 could I use that to plug the record player into and then rebroadcast that to the soundbar? Or is there a better way to accomplish this? Thanks for your help.
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

May 16, 2016

Re: Connecting record player to Soundtouch 300 soundbar

Hi Sarahhellems, 

Thank you for the post! As long as you have a turntable with a built in pre-amp or are using an external pre-amp, you should be able to rebroadcast the signal connecting to a SoundTouch 10. You also could use an analog RCA to optical converter and connect the turntable to the optical input on the SoundTouch 300 soundbar. Please let us know if you have any other questions! 

Kind Regards

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Dec 13, 2017

Brent_B,

I have soundbar 300 and will connect the TV to HDMI ARC. Can I connect my turntable using a converter from PHONOS to OPTICAL and connect to the OPTICAL IN in the soundbar? Does the soundbar support to have the TV connected in HDMI ARC and another source in OPTICAL IN? 

Highlighted
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Jan 5, 2017

@fly_high wrote:

Does the soundbar support to have the TV connected in HDMI ARC and another source in OPTICAL IN?

I dont think it does. The owners manual says the optical in is for TVs that dont have an HDMI ARC connector. There isnt a way to select the optical input instead of HDMI ARC.

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Feb 7, 2018

I have found a number of Digital to Analog converters, but not Analog (RCA) to Digital (optical).  I, too, am looking to connect a turntable to my Soundtouch 300 (which I love), but want to make sure I have everything set before purchasing required hardware.  Any updates or suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hello all,

Thank you for your posts. Since the SoundTouch 300 doesn't have an analog AUX input, there isn't a direct/easy way to connect a turntable. However, here are a couple of options to consider:

1. Use an analog to digital converter to connect to the SoundTouch 300's optical input. Please be aware, there are a couple of caveats here:
    • The SoundTouch 300 soundbar will prioritize an HDMI/ARC audio signal if it is detecting one. This may present an issue if you currently use ARC to hear audio from your TV. I'd recommend temporarily disabling the soundbar's CEC setting if you experience any issues with this. 
      • Locate the HDMI-CEC setting in the SoundTouch app.
      • In the SoundTouch app, select Menu > Settings > Speaker Settings > [select the system] > Advanced Setup > HDMI-CEC.
      • To change the current setting, select the empty circle next to the preferred option
        1. Default On Enables CEC
        2. Alternate On: Prevents unintended source switching and may fix CEC inconsistencies
        3. Off: Disables CEC
      • Press the X in the upper right to close the window
    • Digital to Analog converters are far more common than Analog to Digital converters. Be sure that any converter you try is converting to the correct format. 
  2. Connect to another SoundTouch speaker's AUX input, and use Wired Input Rebroadcast. More information on this feature can be found HERE

I hope this helps to provide some clarification. Please let us know if you have any additional questions!

Best regards,

Brian - Bose Support

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Apr 14, 2018

Hi Brian, I am looking at having the same situation: an optical out from the turntable going into the st300. my question is, what the settings on the remote should be? Should the signal from the turntable work when i just power the soundbar, and i leave the tv off (with the hdmi arc connected to the soundbar)? Thanks in advance!
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi derbeppo.

Thanks for the question.  The issue with this though is that when you attempt to turn the ST300 on with the remote control, it will send a command to the TV to turn it on as well.  Turning off the TV with the television (or Bose) remote will then send a command back to the ST300 to turn it off.  You would need to disable CEC in the SoundTouch system (by following Brian's directions) in order to make this function correctly.

If you have any more questions, please let us know.

Best,

Brandon - Community Support

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Aug 5, 2018

I am unable to connect my wireless record player with bluetooth to y sound bar? why is that

Highlighted
Community Manager - Retired
Registered since

Mar 15, 2018

Hello Eddiet1105

Thanks for posting in the community!  I have a few questions to help clarify the issue. 

Are you able to connect other devices like a smart phone or tablet with Bluetooth to the soundbar?

Is the soundbar in pairing mode (blinking blue LED) when trying to connect the turntable?  

Does the turntable connect to other Bluetooth speakers?

Let us know so we can further assist you!

Warm Regards,

Tony A - Community Support