Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 15, 2016

Connecting the Soundtouch 520 the right way

Hello,

I have a Samsung UHD TV and a Samsung 4k Blu-Ray Player and the Soundtouch 520.

First, I connected the Soundtouch via HDMI ARC to the TV. Everything works fine there. The Soundtouch is getting the correct signals when I watch TV or Netflix.

The problem comes with the lack of HDCP 2.2 support on the Soundtouch. My dealer told me to simply connect the Blu-Ray Player directly to the TV and use the optical cable on the Soundtouch for the sound. When I do this, the Soundtouch does not receive any DTS audio. It always says LPCM 2.0 when i watch a DTS audio track. When i watch Dolby Digital, the Soundtouch shows Dolby Digital 5.1. I asked my dealer again and he told me to connect the optical cable between TV and Soundtouch, not Blu-Ray Player and Soundtouch and configure the TV to use optical as audio output. As a result I have to tell the TV everytime which audio is playing, DD or DTS. I don't believe that this is the right way. What am I missing here? What is the perfect solution to connect all components? If needed, I can provide the Model Number of the TV and Blu-Ray Player.

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Re: Connecting the Soundtouch 520 the right way

Hello Michael863,

Thank you for the post. What is the model number of your TV? The way this is setup from your TV to the SoundTouch 520 sounds like the best case for the components you have. Have you check to see if there is an update for your TV at this time? Seems like the TV is asking every time which audio, have you checked the settings in your TV to see if there is an "auto detect" for audio sources, so you wouldn't continue to get that message? 

Let me know if this helps.

Regards,

Joel

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 15, 2016

Hello Joel,

my TV is a Samsung UE55MU6459U and my Blu-Ray Player is a Samsung UBD-K8500.

Yesterdy I've tried some things out. Now the TV is connected to the Soundtouch via HDMI Arc and the Blu-Ray Player is connected via HDMI directly to the TV. I tried to use optical from the Player to the Soundtouch, but the Soundtouch does not recognize the optical input. I have to go the system options of the Soundtouch everytime and change the optical setting from TV/Auto to BD/DVD. Then i get the correct audio tracks, but when i want to use my TV instead of the Blu-Ray Player i have no sound. I have to switch the optical setting from BD/DVD to TV/Auto again. I don't think this i right? Why do I have to select BD/DVD at the Soundtouch anyways? Nothing is connected there. Is something broken? Every device is up to date, too.

Kind regards

Michael

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi Michael,

From what I gather from what you have stated, there is an HDMI going from the TVs ARC port to the Bose console into the TV port correct? Then you have an optical cable coming from the Blu-Ray player to the Bose console correct? The only thing I can think that is happening is because you have both an ARC connection and optical connection and trying to assign it to TV it bounces back. The reason is you can only use one or the other for the TV not both audio connections. To keep things simplified, I would only use an optical cable from the TV to the console, and as far as it asking what type of audio it is when you put something on, either DD or DTS, this is just your TV asking what type of audio you want it to send out to the external speakers. If you are unsure why you keep seeing this message on the TV, I would contact Samsung to see if there is a way to disable or have the TV auto detect these settings for you.

Hope this helps

Thank you,

Joel

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 15, 2016

Hi Joel,

my local dealer, a Bose "expert", told me to connect the TV via HDMI Arc to the Soundtouch and use the optical cable parallel. The Blu-Ray Player still connected to another HDMI port on the TV. When i tell my TV to use the optical as sound output, i have to tell the TV everytime what kind of audio format the source is playing. That is annoying. Why does the Bose system have such problems to receive the audio signal via optical?

Regards

Michael

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hello Michael,

Oh, i see. Typically we only recommend HDMI ARC and optical in tandem on the SoundTouch 300, not the 520. Can you try just the HDMI ARC and see if it helps? So basically remove the optical connection from your DVD to the Bose console and leave the HDMI from the Blu-Ray to the TV. As far as the TV asking what type of audio, this is a feature in the TV itself.

Let me know if this works.

Regards,

Joel

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 15, 2016

Hi Joel,

when i try this, only Dolby Digital works, not DTS. I think it's an issue from the TV. I asked Samsung about this, but I'm still waiting for an answer. Next week a local dealer will try some things out with my Bose system and when we don't get any sollution, I will say goodbye to Bose.

Thank you for you help.

Regards

Michael