Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Nov 4, 2017

Connections to soundtouch drop in/out

I've got a Soundtouch 30, a stereo pair of 10's, a 300 (with surround speakers), and a pair of wireless link adaptors.

The problem is that despite there being a very big signal (i.e. network), if I have 3 or 4 differrent devices on, then music will simply stop playing and then intermittantly restart again (repeatedly) on one or more of the connected devices.   Why won't these devices play consistently?

Rebooting doesn't work, regardless of whether I restart my router, cablemodem, or individual soundtouch components.

Any ideas?

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Re: Connections to soundtouch drop in/out

Hi ctwombly,

Thanks for the post, and sorry to hear about the issues you're having.

What is the brand/model of the router you are using?

If you connect the 30 or the 300 via Ethernet, does the intermittent audio stop?

Does your router support both 2.4 and 5 GHz networks?  If so, can we switch some devices over to the 5GHz band and see if this helps?

Let us know so we can get this resolved for you.

Best,

Brandon - Community Support

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Nov 4, 2017

I use a Netgear AC 1750, which supports 2.4 and 5 GHz.   My TV is currently the only component using the 5 GHz side of the router.

The 30 doesn't seem to have the problem - though once in a while it seems to need re-booting. 

For Soundtouch gear, I've got:

1 X 300 (with rear speakers)

1 X 30

2 X 10's (configured as a stereo pair)

2 Wireless adaptors (inputs for an old surround receiver, and a powered sub woofer/satellite speaker set)

I wouldn't think these would be enough (even if all were runnng at the same time) to cause this kind of an issue.

Suggestions? 

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi again,

Thanks for the info.  I would certainly recommend putting one of the systems on Ethernet if possible, as we only recommend four wireless SoundTouch systems maximum on a home network (due to the increased possibility of congestion and interference).  In our FAQ for SoundTouch, it states:

"For most homes, we expect you can have up to four speakers connected wirelessly. For more than four rooms, we recommend using Ethernet wired connections to some of them."

Can we try Ethernet and see if it helps out?

Best,

Brandon