Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 9, 2017

Connectivity issues with SoundTouch 300 and VI300

Hi, I recently bought a SoundTouch 300 soundbar with the the Virtually Invisible 300 speakers. I've had many compatability issues with which I am hoping to get help. Please see my setup below:

• TV: Samsung 65" 4K LED TV (UN65KS8000)
  • SoundTouch 300 connected to HDMI 4 port
  • Virtually Invisible 300 rear speakers
  • Xbox One S (connected to cable box) in HDMI 1, PS4 in HDMI 2, and Nintendo Switch in HDMI 3

As many people have mentioned, the VI300 rear speakers are almost inaudible. I have them on a shelf right behind the couch, so they are at most a foot or two from one's ears, but it's really hard to hear. I've read that one can connect the speakers to the SoundTouch app, but none of my speakers connect via wifi. I've hardwired the SoundTouch 300 soundbar to my modem/router via ethernet, so I am able to control that one, but nothing for the VI300. How do I connect the VI300 speakers to the app so that I may adjust the volume? Additionally, any tips on connecting the speakers to wifi? It fails to even find my wifi network every time.

Additionally, in my Xbox settings, I am unable to select anything but "Stereo uncompressed" in the Audio Output settings. Is this setup not considered 5.1 uncompressed? I'm pretty new to the surround sound game, so I honestly don't really know. 

Sorry for the rambling! I hope someone can help. Thank you!

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Oct 16, 2016

Re: Connectivity issues with SoundTouch 300 and VI300

The Soundtouch App likes you to hardwire connect the speakers to laptop, PC, tablet, or whatever you are using on the first connection to locate the network you are using.  Have you tried that?  That may help out a lot with getting things connected to WiFi.

Highlighted
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Oct 16, 2016

I have an Xbox S and a Sasung 9000 TV.

You are probably going have to use optical to connect your ST300.  If not, when you have no sound coming thru the ST300 it will turn off EVERYTHING!!!  And I mean the TV, Xbox, etc.  Bose "promises" to fix this issue with Samsung but it's been months so am going to say it is just another Bose false promise/lie with a product thhey shoved out the door WITHOUT the needed and proper testing.

The ST300 connection I have is TV with optical.  Xbox One S, DirecTV, Xbox 360 are all connected by HDMI into TV. Once you have all working when you go into settings and audio, you will have option to change the optical and HDMI setting to uncompressed, bitstream, etc.  Then you can change the decoding to DTS or Dolby Digital in the Xbox S audio settings.  Personally I enjoy the Dolby.  DTS is just too loud with ST300.  If Bose allowed us to adjust treble, mid, and such...you know, more than just the bass setting...it probably make for better DTS expierence.

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

May 16, 2016

Hi blobofclay, 

To add on to GuyinPa75's post, once your SoundTouch 300 is on your network, added to your account, and updated with the latest software, you should be able to adjust the rears. Here are the steps to do so:

Go to Menu > Settings > Speaker Settings > [select your system] > Audio Settings. You should  see "Surround Level" and "Center Level" and be able to adjust them. 

Thank you 

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 9, 2017

@GuyinPA75 wrote:

The Soundtouch App likes you to hardwire connect the speakers to laptop, PC, tablet, or whatever you are using on the first connection to locate the network you are using.  Have you tried that?  That may help out a lot with getting things connected to WiFi.

I've hardwired the main SoundTouch 300 SoundBar, but cannot hardwire the VI300 speakers. The app finds the soundbar, but not the rear speakers.

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 9, 2017

@Brent_B wrote:

Hi blobofclay, 

To add on to GuyinPa75's post, once your SoundTouch 300 is on your network, added to your account, and updated with the latest software, you should be able to adjust the rears. Here are the steps to do so:

Go to Menu > Settings > Speaker Settings > [select your system] > Audio Settings. You should  see "Surround Level" and "Center Level" and be able to adjust them. 

Thank you 

I am able to raise and lower the volume of the main sound bar, but not the rear speakers. My modem/router is 802.11ac instead of 802.11n, does that cause issues? I imagine the rear speakers should be able to work with ac...?

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 9, 2017

@GuyinPA75 wrote:

I have an Xbox S and a Sasung 9000 TV.

You are probably going have to use optical to connect your ST300.  If not, when you have no sound coming thru the ST300 it will turn off EVERYTHING!!!  And I mean the TV, Xbox, etc.  Bose "promises" to fix this issue with Samsung but it's been months so am going to say it is just another Bose false promise/lie with a product thhey shoved out the door WITHOUT the needed and proper testing.

The ST300 connection I have is TV with optical.  Xbox One S, DirecTV, Xbox 360 are all connected by HDMI into TV. Once you have all working when you go into settings and audio, you will have option to change the optical and HDMI setting to uncompressed, bitstream, etc.  Then you can change the decoding to DTS or Dolby Digital in the Xbox S audio settings.  Personally I enjoy the Dolby.  DTS is just too loud with ST300.  If Bose allowed us to adjust treble, mid, and such...you know, more than just the bass setting...it probably make for better DTS expierence.

I'll look into hooking it up via the optical cable instead of HDMI. Seems strange that the HDMI would mess it up. I haven't really experienced any of those other issues, but hopefully that doesn't change. More than anything, I just want to be able to raise the volume of the rear speakers because I can barely hear them even when they are a foot away from my head.