Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Sep 1, 2016

Constantly losing connection

My Soundwave Touch constantly lose connection with my wifi! Each time that I want to use the iPhone app it cannot find the Soundwave Touch on the wifi, so I have to go through the tedious process of setting up the system. Then it works Ok until the next time...I have had this problem since I bought the Soundwave Touch more than 6 months ago. I have hoped that updates of the software would solve the problem, but no. I have installed every update of the app and the Soundwave Touch.
Grumpy
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 11, 2014

Re: Constantly losing connection

Hi Grumpy,
The setup and network connection process you describe should only ever need to happen once uppon initial setup. If you are being forced to perform it more than once, something is definitely not working normally here.
Does the Wi-Fi connection LED on the back of the Wave SoundTouch turn yellow when this happens to indicate disconnection? or does it remain white telling us that the system is still connected to Wi-Fi?
In the case that the LED remains white, the most likely explanation for this behavior is that your phone is automatically switching between different network names (SSID's) for better signal. If your router broadcasts an alternate version of the main network, often labeled as a "guest" or "5g" version of the standard network, Then this could be the cause of our issue.
To solve this, we would need to make sure that the phone remains connected to the same segment of the network that the speaker is connected to, otherwise it will be unable to detect the presence of your speaker. This may mean removing one of the alternate versions of the network from the phone's wi-fi list in order to constrain which segment it connects to.
Please check for this and let us know What you find. If you need more assistance resolving this, please also let us know the brand and model # of the router you use. Thank you. 
Highlighted
Registered since

Sep 10, 2016

I am having similar problem. In my case has nothing to do with the phone network. My ST10 will just stop networking until reset. In my case modifing moving the ST10 to another WIFI Network triggered the mess.
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Sep 1, 2016

Hi George,
The LED on the ST remain white when the disconnect happens. I do have two alternative versions of the network (5g and _ext). However, the disconnect appears even when I have removed ("forgotten") these alternative versions from my iPhone. I have also reset the ST to factory settings without effect - the disconnect remains. The router is Compal CH7486E. Hardware VersionV1.0, Software Version CH7486E-5.510.5.11-SH.
Grumpy
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 11, 2014

Thank you for that information. Next time this happens, rather than going through the entire setup process, unplug power to the system for 30 seconds to reset and see whether that also brings the system back to being detected.
If so, we may want to set your router to use a fixed channel for Wi-Fi. This would me logging in to the router's configuration and choosing a number under the Channel options instead of the default "auto" setting. We usually suggest channel 1 or 11 for this.
Also: Does your home use any other Wi-Fi hardware in addition to the Compal router? (Extenders, repeaters, Access points, etc.) If so, try disabling these for a while and see if the same issue persists.
Let us know.
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Sep 1, 2016

Hi George, I thought that the problem was fixed after having received telephone support on Wednesday from Bose. The solution seemed to be allowing ICMP (e.g. I disabled ICPM blockin in the firewall settings of the router). I then could connect with the app on my PC as well as on iPhone and iPad. But today the same problem appeared - no system was found on network. In addition to unblocking ICPM, I had also inactivated the 5GHz-channels on the router. For the 2,4 GHz I had chosed 6 as a fixed channel, and I had set the bandwidth to 20 MHz. I do have an extender, but I have disabled that network on my iPhone. Still, the ST system was not found by the app. I followed your advice above and unplugget the system to reset. Then the system was detected by the app both on iPhone and PC. A suggestion from the Bose telephone support was that the pedestal was deficient, in spite of it displaying a white light. What do you think about that? Any other solutions?

Grumpy
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 11, 2014

The only last thing we can suggest is to test things out with your extender completely unplugged and disabled temporarily. See if removing it from the chain resolves the issue.  
We're glad to hear you have connected with our phone support group as more direct troubleshooting of this issue is possible through that medium. If they have determined that the system may be in need of service then we would recommend following up with that process next.