lengsville
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Nov 2, 2017

Currently developing...?

To all mods,

I currently own 5 SoundTouch speakers, which when working, give pretty decent sound. The only thing letting the whole system down, and delaying my decision to expand my system, is the lack of (what i would call) basic features. I held back on an ST300 when it was released, and glad that I did. It is almost a standalone soundbar, barely SoundTouch compatible.

When requests or recommendations are made on here, the stock response is something along the lines of "I will pass this on to our Development team here for consideration". Thanks for doing that, but can we please have some feedback as to the software teams' response for each request? It would be good to know that some are actively being explored and developed, or if some are not possible.

A while ago, you made a post replying to SADLoyalist, vaguely listing what your development team were working on, or what was in the longterm pipeline. Can we please have something similar which relates to now? We can see that you are working on Alexa Skill for other countries (although no estimated timescale of months or years), and waiting for AirPlay2 to be released - but what else are you working on?

If the software were made opensource, you would be innundated with features, developed for free, for the community to benefit from. I would have no doubts that this would increase sales of units, and also be appreciated by existing owners. How long have owners wished for a simple alarm clock feature, or to utilise a preset button to 'join' an existing group of speakers?

As it stands, I am reluctant to purchase anymore SoundTouch products, and have already recommended the Sonos route to others when asked about my setup. They seem to pioneer the industry in available features. I am close to selling my whole setup, taking a hit (£££), and buying a product where the software/firmware delivers. It is in no way a threat, as Bose has already made the sale of the units I own, however, I will definately not be purchasing anymore SoundTouch products if this happens.

I cannot think that I am the only person in this position.

All we ask is for more feedback... and, of course, more features 🙂

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
James_S
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Jan 5, 2017

Re: Currently developing...?

I wouldnt buy something hoping that it would have the feature I want added in a future update. If what your interested in for doesnt have the features you want vote with your dollars and dont buy it. Espcially when it comes to partnerships combining technologies with other companies. Once a company has your money you have justified their decisions about what features to include or exclude because you bought it.  

Highlighted
lengsville
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Nov 2, 2017

Re: Currently developing...?

Thanks for the response.
At one point, Bose seemed to be ahead in this game. I accept that I made a mistake and bought in to a system that doesn’t wholly satisfy my requirements (hence the thought of changing my setup), however, every now and then features are released, bringing glimmers of hope that one day it may! I held back in my decision to buy an ST300 for a long time whilst Aux Rebroadcast was released. Unfortunately, it is heavily flawed for the application in which I had hoped to use it.
I really think that this forum could be used as a great market research tool to identify what the end users would like to see implemented in future updates - making their product range more appealing.
I would just like to see something to follow up the generic “I will pass this on to our software development team”.