SM
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 28, 2016

DLNA Streaming; Equalizer Presets

Maybe I am missing something. But other WiFi devices support "stream to". On the Bose SoundLink 30, if I try to stream from Windows Media Player on a PC or another DLNA source like Windows mobile "Play To", an error occurs. Similarly, I have to select a playlist in a roundabout manner from the Bose software to "stream" it to this speaker, rather than select the stream and send it to Soundlink from the source hardware / software. I also found an article in your knowledgebase that states that you can stream directly from Apple streaming software. I suspect that streaming from a DLNA compliant player is deliberately being blocked since DLNA is an industry standard and Apple streaming is apple proprietary. Or maybe I am missing something and would like to be educated. Since I cannot stream from a DLNA source, I do not have the option to set the equalizer preset at source or select playlists etc. And since DLNA is blocked or not built into the hardware / software properly, I cannot send media from my portable device unless I buy a device that Bose has built software for. So, Jason G, rather than put all your team's effort into building new software (I like the new version of the software though, much better), please also look into expanding support for industry standards and extending your public remote control APIs for others to develop apps.
In this day and age, I do not see why standards should not be followed and proprietary approaches are still prevalent. This "my way or highway" approach has resulted in the demise of many a company, like Sony (inventor of digital music, MP3 players, CDs and BluRay) and now Apple is heading in that direction pretty soon unless they take action quickly. Customers should come before the company's whims and fancies. And the companies that are following standards are making billions more than others, so the excuse cannot be that this is being done to standout in the market. Look at Google and the Microsoft-ecosystem. They have made more money when aligning with the industry and lost money every time they tried to disobey the industry norms.
1 REPLY 1
SM
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 28, 2016

Re: DLNA Streaming; Equalizer Presets

Sorry, seems like the DLNA issue may have been resolved in the last firmware update. I am now able to stream from Lumia Play To app. My apologies for above post without checking. I would like to retract it.
High five to Bose team for fixing that