stevebkk
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 16, 2015

Re: DO NOT BUY SOUND TOUCH SERIES SPEAKERS - READ WHY BELOW

Your welcome to your opinion but its value is limited here.

Thanks

Steve

Highlighted
PelhamB
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Apr 3, 2017

I have lots of problems too, for what is supposed to be a high quality product.

This morning, I had been listening from iTunes for 10 minutes, when suddenly it just cut out. No reason, no explanation. Nothing else on the network has changed. 30 minutes later, having reset it about 3 times (AUX for 15s), still nothing. 

The fact is, these steps such as resetting or having to reconfigure should be needed once in a blue moon. People on here seem to spend more time doing that than actually listening to music - and that just isn't right.

I respect stevebkk for actually taking steps to fix things - always take my hat off to people who act, rather than just talk. 

And I also agree that the SoundTouch app is a disgrace - it looks like it was cobbled together by a 12 year old. On my machine, it spends its whole life just refreshing. It is a shocker.

Since getting my Bose Soundtouch for Christmas (2015), I've moved home and where I live now has Sonos kit and amps installed in some of the rooms. All I can say is - WOW. Major leagues v school leagues is the level of comparison I would give. 

Philwag
Audible Advocate
Registered since

May 1, 2017

I can only confirm, what the majority here said, do not buy any Bose ST Product atm, if you get problems, there is no way to resolve them. And if the product works without flaws, it is not that much better than comparable products from sonos pr other suppliers. So taking the risk is just not worth it.
heatman5
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Dec 8, 2016

Stevebkk,

I have many of the SoundTouch products ranging from a few months old to within a month of the first SoundTouch product launch. I have been very satisfied and so has my wife who I bought the first SoundTouch 30 for. Without exception, I have found every shortcoming I've experienced to be directly attributable to my own wireless network. I've resolved all issues with Bose via telephone tech support. I couldn't be happier. More importantly, my wife couldn't be happier. As far as quality, I couldn't ask for more. I owe nothing to Bose and they owe nothing to me beyond what all normal retail sales entitle the customer. So, please believe me when I say that I am truly sorry to hear of your dismay. I can see you are very upset, but with this much energy to put into an online forum, you should also be able to follow tech support advice. I don't agree with you about Belkin, I'm not aware of anything "state of the art" that they sell- at least not in networking. If you are a troll you need to exert your energy elsewhere. If you're not a troll, you need to exert this excess energy into helping resolve your own issues. I'd start with your wifi network and pc. There are my own thoughts, my own 2 cents as we say here in the US. I hope you put an effort into helping resolve your own problems, maybe your lawyer will come over your house and help you troubleshoot your wifi network. I have no use for lawyers, I've always been able to resolve my own problems myself. Just sayin....

JimF
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Dec 16, 2016

Steve,

Perhaps you're asking too much from your wifi network.

Multiple speakers plus computers, tablets, mobiles and whatever else you're connecting can create a choke point in your home network. Take a lesson from Sonos, they understand this and offer a separate wifi access point to their power users specifically for music streaming.

Thankfully we don't need to purchase an expensive router to accomplish the same thing. We have four Soundtouch units, one 520 hooked to ethernet plus a portable and two wireless adapters hooked to a separate "Bose-only" wifi network created from an old Apple Airport Express ($35 on eBay). Besides Soundtouch equipment, nothing else is connected to Bose-only and other wifi connections in our home run through a different router. Both wifi networks are hard wired to the modem through a single gigabit switch.

Implementing this setup isn't too difficult but just confirm two things:

• Your 2.4 Ghz 802.11 networks operate on separate channels
  • Wifi routers are set up as access points so all devices will be on the same network (no subnets)

This setup is inexpensive to implement and there's plenty of information online on how to do this. Once done, you'll likely experience a dramatic improvement in connectivity. 

TimDonovan
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Oct 6, 2016

I'm very outspoken on these forums about my personal poor experience with Bose. They have a habit of not only getting a few of the big things wrong, they consistently get the small things wrong too. What holds them back the most is a poor software design & development (and testing) team. 

The speakers are good, the idea is sound (pun intended) it's just badly implemented. Throw in hardware stability problems (Bose, I'd be a lot more forgiving on the small things like terrible UI, terrible API, no Alexa support still etc. if my speakers actually at least worked the way intended) and, well you can see the general discontent on this forum.

As it stands, I frequently have speaker audio drop out, frequently have speakers be unfindable by the app, frequently have to powercycle speakers to get bluetooth to connect etc. Not what I'd expect from a premium brand. I would wholeheartedly join this lawsuit if I was able, but I'm not in the USA. 

Instead, and until things are sorted, I'll continue to help, but warn, users on the forum here and generally trash talk Bose whenever it comes up in conversation, because they've lost my brand loyalty. 

TableRocked
Strident Supporter
Registered since

May 15, 2016

I've gone from wanting to take back my ST30, ST10's, ST300, and ST300 sub, to now wanting to purchase more ST10's for the rest of my home.  The only culprit I run into now is when my iPhone goes to the 2.4GHz  ssid on my wifi router instead of the 5GHz that all my ST units are setup on.  As long as I stick with 5GHz and as long as my 5GHz booster is working, all has been very stable and well with my ST units for the past couple months.

The units seem to have quite poor wifi receive sensitivity as they can list wifi reception as "fair" and be only a few feet from the antenna of the wifi transmitter, thus, I believe, the crux of their problem.  If they had researched their wifi chipset and antenna more, examined its RF characteristics and link budget, I suspect much of the headaches we all experience would not be occuring, at least from a connectivity standpoint.  I've solved it with my own booster for now.

The iPhone app now appears very stable

JJDynamite6
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 30, 2017

Has Bose fixed any or your issues?

paul.pharoah
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 23, 2017

I agree legal action is of limited value, but I too am having recurrent problems with my speakers.

The speakers are connected to my Wifi without problem.  I can pick up internet radio stations.

However, the Soundtouch App on my Macbook Air time and again will fail to find the speaker and give me a message that

No speaker found

Make sure the speaker is plugged into power and try again.

Each time the only solution I have found is to go throught he whol;e process of reconnecting.

This is pathetic from a company selling an expensive product.

Angryofm
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Nov 1, 2015

You have some good ideas and responses in your reply but really it's BOSE that have made the mistake of expecting too much from a wifi network, not the poor customer who has paid for an expensive product that will never work reliably on most home wifi networks...

Why do you think Sonos have a network bridge as an option? Because Sonos realise that most wifi networks these days are so congested that reliable streaming and finding of a ST speaker is going to be very hit and miss without a dedicated wifi network for the speakers...

On top of that it's not just the wifi network that is troublesome, i have 3 of my 6 ST boxes wired to my router via network cable and somehow they still manage to randomly disappear!

To expect to end user to have enough knowledge to set up a dedicated network that *might* fix some of these ongoing problems is a bit much, it should be BOSE's problem, not ours...