DaveZ
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Apr 18, 2017

Re: DO NOT BUY SOUND TOUCH SERIES SPEAKERS - READ WHY BELOW

@Angryofm

Have to disagree on this point.

How can Bose be responsible for a user's ignorant knowledge of wifi?

JimF
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Dec 16, 2016

Agreed @DaveZ, Bose has no control over how their customers set up home networks.

Short of offering a proprietary solution, like the Sonos Boost, Bose can't do to much to assure consistent performance. Especially in a less than optimal configuration. 

It's up to the user to sort this out. The solution I presented in an earlier post works well for us.

mikelnyte
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 26, 2017

I just purchased a soundtouch 30 (series 3) so far its been playing everyday with no problems. Do you think if Bose focuses on the app/software these connection issues can be fixed? or is it a hardware thing and I should go and return my Bose?

paul.pharoah
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 23, 2017

I think the hardware is fine (I am not techical geek).  I have no problem connecting my Sound Touch to the Wifi and tuning in to Internet Radio and I have no problem connecting my devices using Bluetooth.  However, I frequently have probs connecting my music library on my computer via Wifi and had to reboot both computer and Sound Touch to get the to talk to each other.

FranklyFJ
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 10, 2015

Hi all
Interesting to read these issues. I'm UK based, Virgin Media customer, SoundTouch10 owner. Bought it c2years ago and initially found SoundTouchapp on iPhone dreadful - pc and iPhone clashed, speaker would disappear from home network, reboots after reboots etc etc and I wanted to return - I did speak to Bose support and got some tips but was definitely left with the impression they were overwhelmed with the variety of ways we would all use our systems. I persevered, have kept app updated and thankfully the system stability improved. However terrible BBC R4 today - constant dropping of signal - hence why I'm online - problem is occurring direct via wifi AND using SoundTouch app radio function. Just about to check earlier suggestion about the wifi router setting of 2.4 or 5. Hoping the radio issues are short lived - I do admit I have been disappointed by the issues with the ST10. Not everyone can afford multiple speakers and devices so this was an important investment for me. Bose always stood for sound quality (I know Bose through friend's SoundWave devices and speakers) and that I can't fault - however I concur with others that this appears to be very poor design of software/connectivity hardware.
Qzzb_UK
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Feb 11, 2017

If your not happy with the product, why not just return it and go elsewhere? I.e. Sonos?? 

Personally I have had no issues with my system. Have 5 speakers and had no problems. I have setup my own Wifi as I had weak points throughout my house (two Airport Extremes connected via Ethernet). I think most of the problems could be put down to Wifi Routers. Before my AirPort I used the router provided by Virgin, had no end of problems with all streaming devices and signal. 

Consumer rights (at least in the UK) allow for a full refund if the product does not meet the specification - I would of just done that if your having such drastic issues.

FranklyFJ
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 10, 2015

An update - BBC radio 2 and 4 continues to drop out on the wifi AND via the app. However it does NOT drop out when (connected via Bluetooth) playing R4 via BBC iplayer radio app from my iPhone (using the very same wifi and in same room). nb. ST10 is in the same room as the wifi router and I have no issues with other wifi connected devices.
Conclusion: it's an issue with the Bose radio itself.

Please can someone at Bose advise me asap - I listen to radio all the time and it's one of the principal reasons I bought this ST10.
I will also post this issue to another thread as I would like resolution on this point.
Qzzb_UK
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Feb 11, 2017

I tried this on my ST 10 and there was no problems with the Radio 2/4 at all. Bear in mind that Bose are not responsible for the streams, they have the directory but dont personally broadcast out the radio. Also the BBC iPlayer App might use a different stream to the bose one

FranklyFJ
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 10, 2015

Thank you Qzzb
I am now in discussion with the support team (thanks v.much for our conversation Mike!) and we have agreed what to investigate next to try and identify what is causing the issue.
We'll report back in due course.
Highlighted
fmiranda
Audible Advocate
Registered since

May 29, 2017

Okay I get it, BOSE is a piece of crap, but what are other options we have? Other brand ? which one? 

I will gladly sell my Soundtouch speakers if we had a solid alternative. My Soundtouch speakers work, but only because I'm a highly skilled IT person, otherwise they would be used as standalone speakers. I guess most people just use it as a standalone speakers. Everytime I had to put all speakers in sync for a party or something like that, ALL WIRED (NO WIRELESS CRAP) from time to time (not often but it would happen once or twice) would lose sync and some speakers had to be rebooted to get in sync again.  

Although all my WIRED network is CAT6, my core network switch is a Cisco SG300, all the Bose speakers use a 100BaseT connection (from the last century) - either it does nto require it or Bose got cheap on it. If WIRELESS (which is crap) it only support 2.4Ghz networks (from last century as well).