Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Feb 11, 2017

Re: DO NOT BUY SOUND TOUCH SERIES SPEAKERS - READ WHY BELOW

Again have to say that my experience has not at all been like this. I have 5 speakers over 2 floors of my house, all of which never give me any problems. All are connected via Wifi and I never get dropout. 

I also work in IT, and dont have a complicated network (Virgin Router in Modem only mode and two AirPort Extremes connected via ethernet). I do find it curious that people who say they work in IT and have enterprise grade routers (i.e. Cisco etc...) are you doing any QoS or packet shaping or have any firewalls to block anything and/or using different subnets for the network?? These speakers are designed to work in a simple network - im not a Network Expert (I work on the software not the network) but have a basic grasp of it.

Also what devices do you have? I have 4 x ST 10 (WiFi Only, no Ethernet) and a ST 30 (Does have Ethernet but I dont use it on that due to location). I did have no end of problems when first setting up, before I got the AirPort Extreme's but I know i had problems with the rubbish Virgin Router firmware and signals. 

There are a few annoyances with the App and interface, but overall I have found the sound quality good and reliable. 

Also to answer the alternatives, would it not be Sonos?? That is the most well known Wifi speaker and been out alot longer than SoundTouch. 

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Feb 11, 2017

Good luck with support. Hopefully they find a solution. Just a FYI, I am also a Virgin Media Customer with the SuperHub 2ac - The WiFi is apalling. When standing next to it I got no more than 70mbps (I pay for 200). I also have Sky Q installed which uses the home network and no end of problems. 

I found that buying my own router (Can recomend the Apple AirPort Extreme) and putting the virgin router into Modem Only mode fixed all of my conenction issues and now I get 200mbps when running speed test (well actually 214). 

I know I have always had a problem getting the signal upstairs, so I purchased a second AirPort (as they can rebroadcast the signal) and ran a Cat 5 through the house to upstairs, and plugged that in. Since then I dont have any problems with any bit of kit, Bose, Sky, Mobiles, Laptops or iPads. 

I dont rate the Virgin SuperHubs and in my experience they are usually the cause of most problems rather than the Bose kit. 

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

May 29, 2017

I do have a much more sophisticated network than you have. Mostly for fun since computer networks is a hobby. 

The reason I have different VLANs is basically to separate broadcast domains and also for security. If some bright kid hacks my WIFI network - good luck, he will be stuck in a network that will only have unrealiable devices and does not pose any threat to my other VLANs. 

If you use Internet radio, it really depends on the reliability of that radio station. If you use a NAS as the music repository (using Twonky server for example) is when things get a little out of control (once or twice every couple of weeks). I use to be like you and say that my Bose speakers were awesome and flawless, but when I really started to use it everyday is when I noticed these glitches. 

Sonos, I will look into it. Have you guys seem the new line of connected speakers from Bang Olufsen ? is it worth a try ? 

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Feb 11, 2017

I do use them every day, I primararly work from home, and often stream radio or bluetooth from laptop which is synced. Never a issue. 

Again, it brings me back to my point of the Bose ST, being a consumer product, means they start messing up when you have a more complex network.

I like my home stuff (TV, Media boxes, Speakers, Laptops, iPads, phones, etc..) to be on a standard network. When I have to do technical stuff, including VLANs, I use VMware ESX so its a virtual network rather than semgenting my home network into VLANs. In my opinion I recon thats why I dont see the same problems, all of the VLAN's, Firewalls and security are either slowing down the syncing, due to the packet inspections, routes etc... or its blocking the protocols that Bose use. You cant really expect something that is designed to be used in a home envrioment to work on a complex VLAN/Firewall/Multiple Router/subnet network. 

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

May 29, 2015

Before you go full legal and increase the consumer cost for these products if not run Bose out of business, let me share my experience with SoundTouch.  In summary, wonderful.  I've had absolutely NO issue with my speakers connecting to my wireless network and have had no issues with the sound continuity and quality.  And I've added SoundTouch radios and speakers to my network one at a time.  My whole home is wireless, including parts of the exterior, and I couldn't be more happy about it.  

As for the SoundTouch app, I've had no issues with it; it runs just fine on my Mac, iPad, and iPhone.  The only feature I wish it would have would be the capability to run individual channels on individual speakers.  I am using the Apple TimeCapsule router and have had no issues with that either.  

Wireless is NOT flawless, but this ecosystem practically is - at least that has been my experience thus far.  I'm sorry you're having trouble and believe me, I don't like that word "troubleshooting," and dinking with electronics and configuration anymore than I have to. Life's too short for that nonsense, and I guess what I'm also saying is that if I ever do have trouble with my equipment I'll take it back and if I can't get a suitable replacement or fix, then I'll throw it away and not get it again.   

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 31, 2016

I have finally solved all my Soundtouch connection and App complaint issues by purchasing Sonos system components.  OMG, what a difference!  Not only do all my Sonos components stay magically wirelessly connected, but the Sonos iOs App actually allows me to control Bass and Treble in addition to setting a SLEEP Timer to shut the system down.  Accordingly, I am giving my existing Soundtouch equipment away to other family members to avoid a total loss.  This was an expensive lesson learned.  As a longtime Bose customer and fan, I ignored Sonos considering it not worthy of serious consideration for purchase.  Boy was I wrong!  After considering Bose's inability or unwillingness to offer straightforward answers to many of the ongoing legitimate questions asked in this community area, I have decided I will never again purchase Bose products. IMO, the company's lack of concern about customer satisfaction is obvious, noteworthy and unacceptable!

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 17, 2014

....still can't believe these units are 2.4 only. Having 5.0 would have solved so many issues. 

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 6, 2017

Hi Everyone

I have bought 3 pair of Soundtouch SA-5 and lifestyle 600/650, all three units were installed in basement next to fios wifi router and connected through ethernet to router, and i have installed bose speakers upstairs but only in my study room when i play a music through android app, the music is not streaming at all like youtube red/ youtube play music app but it is keep playing in andriod samsung s6 edge plus. but when i move out from my study room then it is playing the music very well. I don't see any issues with other rooms which is little far from my basement but the study room is very close to basement. I am having this issue only in study room. I tried using connecting to 5g network in the system, phone and to even my laptop wifi connecting to 5g but still it is giving problem not to play music. But if i play a music through wifi streaming then there is no issue at all, only having problem through bluetooth connection. My study room has apple time time capsule/wifi and i changed apple time capsule to 5g network still no luck. Spent lot of money for unit and built in bose speaker in the ceiling but not able to play music and not able to enjoy the music. Very disappointed. I also tried 5g network for the system and direct ethernet connection to fios router from the system but didn't work. Only having trouble in study room, distance for signal is not an issue, when i go to deck it is working fine and anywhere in the room it is working fine. only having problem in study room, i guess it could be my laptop signal or apple wifi station or hp printer is using wifi to my laptop. I tried to switch off all these electronic devices and tried to play a song from youtube red and play music but no luck. Please help me out to solve this issue. 

Thanks and much appreciated

Highlighted
Leader
Registered since

Apr 3, 2016

Hi @subflow,

At least all Series III models DO support 5GHz networks, since I switched all WLAN problems are gone.

Cheers,

Central

Highlighted
Leader
Registered since

Apr 3, 2016

Hi @send2mkn,

Try to cconnect your device to the speaker in your study room with buetooth. I guess that will solve your problems ...

Cheers,

Central