Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Dec 22, 2018

Difference btw soundtouch wireless adapter....

Hi...

I have a Bose cinemate 520 system and I wanna connect 520 system with samsung Smartthings.

So, I am  interested in Sound Touch wireless adapters. 

But, there are three adapters. 

1. Soundtouch Wireless Adapter (2014~2015)

2. Soundtouch Series II Wireless Adapter (2015~2016)

3. Soundtouch Wireless Link Adapter 

I think 1,2 have a bose link that controls cinemate 520 system, but 3 doesn't have it, so wireless link adapter can't 

control cinemate 520 systme (such as turn on, turn off, volume adustment ...)

I read the manual and watched bose home page, but I can't notice btw soundtouch wireless adapter (series I ) and Series II.

Would you tell me the difference btw 1, 2 ? 

Have a nice day.

Sincerely Yours.

Ham, Kyungwon

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

Re: Difference btw soundtouch wireless adapter....

hamkyungwon@gmail.com wrote:

Hi...

I have a Bose cinemate 520 system and I wanna connect 520 system with samsung Smartthings.

So, I am  interested in Sound Touch wireless adapters. 

But, there are three adapters. 

1. Soundtouch Wireless Adapter (2014~2015)

2. Soundtouch Series II Wireless Adapter (2015~2016)

3. Soundtouch Wireless Link Adapter 

I think 1,2 have a bose link that controls cinemate 520 system, but 3 doesn't have it, so wireless link adapter can't 

control cinemate 520 systme (such as turn on, turn off, volume adustment ...)

I read the manual and watched bose home page, but I can't notice btw soundtouch wireless adapter (series I ) and Series II.

Would you tell me the difference btw 1, 2 ? 

Your are correct, series 1 and series 2 connect to Bose systems via a proprietory connector to enable SoundTouch while retaining system control via the remote control. I added a series 2 to my Cinemate 130 which gave me control using my CImemate 130 remote as well as SoundTouch functionality and BlueTooth. Series 1 doesn’t provide BlueTooth. 

I believe Series 2 connects to a broader range of Bose systems than Series 1 using the proprietory port.

Series 3 connects via 3.5mm, composite or optical. System controls are not accessed with this kind of setup and is strictly for providing SoundTouch BlueTooth audio input.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Dec 22, 2018

Thank you for your kind reply. Now I see the difference and I must find series II.
Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

hamkyungwon@gmail.com wrote:
Thank you for your kind reply. Now I see the difference and I must find series II.

Contact Bose directly, they usually keep a supply of previous models on hand. I purchased my series 2 from Bose even though it wasn’t listed as a current item. Alternatively, I noticed there were some available on Amazon. 

In your original post you indicated that you wanted to enable a Samsung Things device. The series 1 and 2 adaptors are specific to Bose speaker systems and will give you SoundTouch features on a Bose non SoundTouch system. Series 3(current), with its multitude of connection options, may be more appropripriate for your Samsung speaker as an input device.

I order to get SoundTouch to work on your non Sound Touch components I would recommend a series 2 on your Bose system to retain remote functionality and a series 3 on your Samsung speaker. Then the two should communicate using SoundTouch over WiFi.