Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 24, 2016

Re: Disable Auto-off on Soundtouch 20?

And by return, I mean return the Bose... Definitely not the dot. Thanks! 
Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 31, 2016

Like most people, I assume when I buy a device it wont shut off on its own decision 20 min later with no option to stop that.  I assume Bose is going to come through on a firmware fix for existing owners.  If I'm wrong, then my opinion and custom of Bose for the last 20 years will change.
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

May 16, 2016

Hi all,

Thank you very much for your patience.  We are not currently aware of any changes related to the timing of the AUX input, however, we are making changes to the Bluetooth functionality for better interoperability with the Echo Dot. Because of this, we recommend the use of the Dot connected via Bluetooth.

Currently, the systems do go into one of two standby states after 20 minutes of Bluetooth inactivity. 

1. If your SoundTouch speaker is actively connected to a Wi-Fi (or wired) network and you haven’t used your Dot to stream audio to our system for 20 minutes, the system will enter into a network standby state indicated by a dim solid-white Wi-Fi indicator. In this case, the best way to start streaming again is to ask “Alexa, Reconnect to Bluetooth”. Your Dot should then reconnect to its last connected device which would likely be your SoundTouch speaker.
  2. If your SoundTouch speaker is NOT actively connected to a Wi-Fi (or wired) network and you haven’t used your Dot to stream audio to our system for 20 minutes, the system will enter a low-power standby state.  In this case, the Alexa command will not work. You will need to press the power button on your system or remote to re-activate the connection.

A software update coming later this month (November), will change the way your SoundTouch speaker transitions to standby.  This change will allow the speaker to remain connected to the Dot after 20 minutes, regardless of network connection, as long as the Dot is still connected to power.

Note:  We have done most of our development and testing with the Echo Dot Gen 2 and suggest that version for optimal performance.  Gen 1 may work just fine, but we did not have the ability to fully test that application. 

Chenjas1, as the SoundTouch Portable does not support Bluetooth, this application will not be extended to your Portable. Many apologies for the inconvenience.

Also, we will be working to release an Alexa skill coming in 2017.

Thank you

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Nov 4, 2016

I'm in the same boat.  Have two soundtouches but can't use them with my Alexa Echo Dot which I just found out, bummed! It keeps shutting off which makes the Amazon Echo Dot fairly useless with these speakers.  Hope to see the firmware update fixing soon!  Thank you.
Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 21, 2016

Hi Brent-
I use my Dot with the AUX input.  I don't want to the Bose to sleep, ever.  The above workaround is insufficient.  Even if I switched to using Bluetooth, it's far too cumbersome to have to tell Alexa first to reconnect bluetooth every time I want her to do something.  Please just update the unit so that we can disable sleep mode, permanently.
Thanks.
Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 10, 2016

Hi Bose,
I've invested quite a bit in a house full of SoundTouch devices and I want them to work with the Echo Dot. As-is, the BlueTooth functionality is flakely, which is why I use the AUX input. Even if you were to release firmware to fix its flakiness, I don't want to have to ask my Dot to reconnect to Bluetooth before I use it. The benefit of the Echo Dot is it's "omnipresence" and having to *only* say "Alexa" to wake it up and give it a task. Having to wait five or ten seconds for it to reconnect to BlueTooth each time, well, you guys might as well just forget the update entirely. You're not helping your customers with it.
Please explain in layman's terms why you're unable to provide a way to disable the auto-off feature. From our naieve standpoints, it seems like a boolean switch in the logic that would prevent the thing from shutting off, but there's obviously more to it than that, so if you're not going to do it then give us some background as to *why* because right now it feels like we're being ignored.
John
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

May 16, 2016

Although there are no current plans to disable the Auto Off while using AUX in, it certainly sounds like a great feature request. I will be sure to pass this on to our development team here for further investigation. 

Thank you   

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 31, 2016

Hi Bose,
Its one thing to admit a mistake (which is what happened) and apologize it can't be fixed.  This poorly implemented feature of auto-off without disable is not normal and makes the item not fit for the marketed purpose.  
Its another thing to spin a story that the fix would be a 'great feature request'.  That is just insulting to your customers and I presume some legalistic tactic to cover over the unit not being fit for marketed purpose.
I have gone to the main bose website and page for the item and given it a one star review that it deserves.  I suggest anyone else reading here and feeling the same do so as well.  It does not require signing up for an account to post a review -- just have to give your email so they confirm it.  Not sure if links post here but he is where to go. https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/speakers/wireless_speakers/soundtouch-20-wireless-music-system.html
One star until Bose decides to fix it or swap me for a unit that is fit for the marketed purpose.
Thank you
Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Nov 21, 2016

Just spoken to technical support and they're unable to give a date for firmware release to FIX this problem i.e. a means to disable Power Saving (for BT & Aux).
How such a feature could get left off during product development is beyond me - especially given that other speakers made by Bose (prior to SoundTouch) have the feature to disable ALL power saving.
Given the above, how can Bose be bundling this with the Amazon Dot, when it simply doesn't work...?
https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/speakers/wireless_speakers/soundtouch_10_echo_dot_pkg.html

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Nov 21, 2016

Regarding the 'great feature request' comment... just like to point out that this is a 'feature' found in earlier Bose products... so I think this is a case of someone having dropped the ball.