Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 8, 2017

Re: Disable Auto-off on Soundtouch 20?

Unfortunately it seems Bose are completely uninterested in this feature, a real shame. I gave up trying to disable my auto-shut off and instead have set up a system where the output from my echo dot is via splitter connected to an old ipod nano which plays an inaudible 'click' every 15 minutes. Solved the problem for me and sound quality doesnt appear to be affected. 

Overly elaborate solution though - I too wish Bose would just sort this very simple problem out. It has lost them customers already and will continue to do so..

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 5, 2017

Just chiming in here to say that disable auto off via telnet on the Soundtouch 20 definitely still works, and it sticks 100% of the time except for when you manually unplug the Soundtouch 20 or lose power in your home. 

***macOS users:  Apple has infuriatingly decided to disable native telnet support in High Sierra, but you can still re-enable native telnet support via home brew or you can use a 3rd party telnet client such as ZOC

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

May 8, 2017

Yup... I'm also still doing it. Works great. Can't believe Bose still haven't actioned this yet as an actual feature... Fecking useless company.
Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 26, 2017

LOL!  I respect the ingenuity though.  Bose HAS to pickup this feature... I actually saw some promising stuff in this article (granted it's 4 months old), about Amazon releasing new APIs and SDKs to make it easier for wi-fi speakers to work with Alexa.  

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/8/29/16219876/amazon-multi-room-speaker-playback-echo 

Until then, I think I'm going to try your solution.  Just curious... how'd you get an inaudible "click" sound on your ipod?

-Andy

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 26, 2017

Cool, thanks DRU.  I'm an ultra newb when it comes to this stuff. Like... literally first time I ever opened a terminal on my mac was to try this out.  Is there a step-by-step for dummies I could follow to try this?

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 8, 2017

I found one on a sound effects MP3 website, bit of trial and error but the one I ended up using was called ‘latch click.’ You need to have a bit of a play between making sure it’s loud enough to keep the speaker awake but not so loud that you can hear the click every 15mins. Have a track of ‘silence’ which lasts 15mins and the click track playing on continuous loop.

Bit of advice, put the iPod in series with the speaker, rather than in parallel, and the sound quality doesn’t seem to be affected.
Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 8, 2017

It doesn’t work on the new Mac OS as they’ve removed Telnet from terminal. You can download a telnet client for free from the App Store though, or if you have windows use Microsoft telnet. Once in the client follow the instructions here, making sure both your speaker and the computer are connected to the same network:

https://ntotten.com/2017/01/19/disable-auto-shutoff-on-bose-soundtouch/

My IP was consistently 192.168.1.2 (instead of the Xs in the post).

If you have a soundtouch 10 and get it working let me know, I’ve been trying for months - get a confirmation but can’t get it to ‘stick’!!
Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 26, 2017

IT WORKED!!! Thank you!!  I installed Homebrew then followed the instructions you posted -- https://ntotten.com/2017/01/19/disable-auto-shutoff-on-bose-soundtouch/.  Aux always on!  WOO HOO!! 

Thanks for the advice!

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 8, 2017

Do you have a soundtouch 10 or 20?
Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

May 8, 2017