evansvilleace
Participant
Registered since

Feb 17, 2019

Disappointment since day 1

I love the sound quality of my SoundTouch 10, I really do... when it works.

The trouble is, I have to fight with it every single day and even then it doesn't work properly.

• The Bluetooth button on the remote is useless.  I was told that you can't use it unless the speaker is already connected to a bluetooth device... in which case, why is it even there?  
  • The speaker cuts out intermittently while playing music.  This happens while connected via AUX or Bluetooth.  I was told to power cycle the device when this happens.... but it happens every day.  It's not like it's a one-off occurence.
  • The speaker's fade-in system can't be turned off.  If I'm using it for sounds in my classroom, every sound has an awkward "fade-in" transition applied to it, even when connected via AUX.  Some sounds are so short that you can't even hear them.  I have to play barely audible white noise behind whatever it is I actually want the students to hear so that the fade-in doesn't cut it off!
  • The speaker sometimes gets off sync and the sound is delayed.  Terrible when playing videos.  The speaker is off by as much as 5 seconds sometimes!  Again, power cycle to fix.
  • The speaker does not remember connections with Bluetooth devices.  My phone and car remember each other when I get in the car.  My PlayStation controller and console remember each other when I press the Power button on the controller.  Why is it that this speaker can't remember the computer or phone it was connected to?
  • The speaker disconnects after about 4 hours of connection.
  • The speaker maintains connection when it should have disconnected, and falls into a "connected, but won't play anything" state which requires me to power cycle and reconnect everything.

I've told all of these to customer reps over the phone and I get the same answer - Unplug the speaker, wait 20 seconds, and plug it back in.  So, to remedy this as best as I can, here is my daily routine: Plug in the speaker in the morning, connect my devices, unplug my speaker at lunch, plug in my speaker after recess, connect my devices, unplug the speaker when I go home.  Even after all of this, I still find myself having to remedy issues. Is this not ridiculous?  Is this the actual, intended use of the product?

Before anyone asks:  Yes, I have updated this speaker and check for updates on a routine basis to see if these problems are fixed.

I bought this to make my life easier in the classroom. It's insane that such a "high-quality" brand would cause so many headaches.  Like I said, I'm a teacher, so I don't exactly have money or time to spare.  I went for a high-quality brand because I didn't want a cheapo product to have to troubleshoot or to cut out and break... well, this isn't much better.  Twenty seconds to restart a device is just the right amount of time for 25 students to begin talking and getting that settled is another 2-3 minutes out of class time....

</rant>

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Joel_D
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Re: Disappointment since day 1

Author Accepted Answer selected by evansvilleace

Hello evansvilleace,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the Bose Community.

We truly appreciate all of your feedback and apologize for all of the frustration.

The SoundTouch series products were designed for home use on a Wi-Fi network and not stand alone Bluetooth speaker. This does sound like there may be an issue with your SoundTouch 10 from all the problems you have described and you can certainly setup service with us.

A speaker I would of personally recommend for a classroom setup would be a SoundLink Revolve + since it is a portable Bluetooth speaker that can be charged and not tethered to a power cable and also doesn't require a Wi-Fi connection or updates to work.

If you do have any other questions, let us know.

Kind Regards,

Joel - Community Support

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Joel_D
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Author Accepted Answer selected by evansvilleace

Hello evansvilleace,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the Bose Community.

We truly appreciate all of your feedback and apologize for all of the frustration.

The SoundTouch series products were designed for home use on a Wi-Fi network and not stand alone Bluetooth speaker. This does sound like there may be an issue with your SoundTouch 10 from all the problems you have described and you can certainly setup service with us.

A speaker I would of personally recommend for a classroom setup would be a SoundLink Revolve + since it is a portable Bluetooth speaker that can be charged and not tethered to a power cable and also doesn't require a Wi-Fi connection or updates to work.

If you do have any other questions, let us know.

Kind Regards,

Joel - Community Support

View solution in original post

evansvilleace
Participant
Registered since

Feb 17, 2019

Well, then, I suppose my issue is with Best Buy, as they were the ones who recommended this.... too late for a refund or exchange, though. 😞