Jerezano
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 15, 2016

Does Bose Soundtouch 120 support 4K Resolution

Hi everyone in this forum I'm planning to purchase soundtouch 120 but my only concern is about the 4 k resolution if someone know please let me know it be very helpful...
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
mayitojr
Silent Starter
Registered since

Apr 19, 2016

Re: Does Bose Soundtouch 120 support 4K Resolution

Allow me to jump in with my own personal comments....  Do not let Bose store personnel tell you that ST120 or even ST130 are 4K compatible.  They are not, maybe in the future but not today!  The only way you can enjoy true 4K with either of those units is for you to run a HDMI 2.0 cable direct from your cable/satellite to your TV ARC input or my case that I own a Samsung 8500 series direct to their cumbersome "mini connect unit".  Then you run an optical cable from your TV output to the ST120 console optical input; start your TV & then you start your ST120 by pressing the TV button.  You now can enjoy 4K at its fullest.  FYI, if you have directv, you are only getting 3 channels; 104, 105 & 106.  
Another thing to consider, if you have other devices, viz. playstation, blue ray, etc. you will need two HDMI cables; one as described above & another one for your ST120.  Those devices will not work (seeing a picture) if you are still connect direct to your TV (your Bose on TV mode).  You run all those cable direct to the Bose module & when you are ready to watch your blue ray, you switch the cables in your TV & press BD-DVD in your Bose remote; what I have done is to mark the HDMI cable that I use to watch my blue ray & the other one I use to watch 4K. 
I understand this sounds super complicated & no-sense whatsoever when you are planning to spent precious $$$ in this new system but Jerezanito that is the way I currently enjoy my ST130.  Good Luck,

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 11, 2014

Re: Does Bose Soundtouch 120 support 4K Resolution

jerezanito,
While technically the systems are 4K compatible, they do only support HDCP 2.1 and not 2.2.  Many newer  devices require that all connected HDMI products support HDCP 2.2 to pass 4K video. This does create a problem for the SoundTouch system’s console and prevents its ability to pass video from these sources.
 For this reason, we recommend that owners connect their 4K sources directly to the TV with HDMI and output the TV’s audio through a digital audio connection to allow the Bose system to reproduce the Dolby Digital or DTS formatted surround sound. 
We apologize for this news but encourage you to stay tuned for new product announcements that will always be available first on Bose.com