Highlighted
Advisor
Registered since

Jan 9, 2017

Does DHCP binding - set static IP address help to make connection more stable?

Hoi,

Sometimes one or more of my speakers are "not found" in the app.

Does setting a static IP address for my ST devices (DHCP Binding in my router) help making the (wireless) connection more stable?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Dec 22, 2016

Re: Does DHCP binding - set static IP address help to make connection more stable?

Author Accepted Answer selected by albertvanderiet

No, the assigned IP has no effect to the soundtouch app. I have fixed IP's for my Soundtouch-Devices and sometimes I need to restart the app when no speakers are found.

As long your DHCP does not giv a very short lease time (only a few minutes) everything is fine. And also in this case, the renewal will mostly result in the same IP address as the device had before.

In short: when you use a standard home router with no special setup, you should not have to care about this DHCP scenarios.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Feb 28, 2017

Re: Does DHCP binding - set static IP address help to make connection more stable?

I was asking to myself the same question. I fix ip adresse of the soundtouch bar 300, but i would like to do it also with the sunround. But i dont find the mac adresse of the surnound...

Highlighted
Advisor
Registered since

Jan 9, 2017

Anyone?
Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Dec 22, 2016

Author Accepted Answer selected by albertvanderiet

No, the assigned IP has no effect to the soundtouch app. I have fixed IP's for my Soundtouch-Devices and sometimes I need to restart the app when no speakers are found.

As long your DHCP does not giv a very short lease time (only a few minutes) everything is fine. And also in this case, the renewal will mostly result in the same IP address as the device had before.

In short: when you use a standard home router with no special setup, you should not have to care about this DHCP scenarios.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Dec 22, 2016

The sourround speakers do NOT connect to your home WLAN - they connect to the internal ST300 wireless interface directly and so don't show up in your home network.