Dan_Seweri
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Sep 26, 2017

Echo Dot 3 and SoundTouch Bluetooth Connection Problem

I have three SoundTouch devices (one SoundTouch 10 plus two SoundTouch Wireless Links) and three Amazon Echo Dot 3rd Gen in three different rooms. Every single SoundTouch-Echo-Dot pair suffers from the very same problem: After saying "Alexa, connect speaker" I can hear the tone that indicates that a connection has successfully been established. But afterwards I cannot hear any output from the Echo Dot on my SoundTouch devices. If I say "Alexa, tell me a joke" I can see the blue light ring blinking on the Echo Dot, but I can hear no sound on the SoundTouch. 

The three Echo Dots 3rd Gen replaced older 2nd Gen devices. With the older devices I never experienced a similar problem. It seems that there is a Bluetooth interoperability issue with the latest generation of Echo Dots.

10 REPLIES 10
LoveTech1998
Silent Starter
Registered since

Dec 26, 2018

Re: Echo Dot 3 and SoundTouch Bluetooth Connection Problem

Are you using multi room? Multi-Room Music will not work over Bluetooth, so if you have a Bluetooth speaker paired with the Echo Dot, you'll need to connect the two using the 3.5mm jack. 

Dan_Seweri
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Sep 26, 2017

I do not use multiroom in this scenario. The scenario that does not work is very simple: My SoundTouch simply acts as a satellite speaker connected via Bluetooth to the Echo Dot.

I bought the Echo Dots 3rd generation some weeks ago and used them as a drop-in replacement for my older Echo Dot 2nd generation. With the older Echo Dots 2 everything worked fine. 

I also tried to unpair the Soundtouch and the Echo Dot and to pair it again. After pairing I can hear the acoustic signal, that the operation had successfully completed. Via my Soundtouch I can hear Alexa say that I can simply connect the speaker via a voice command in the future. But a few seconds later when I say "Alexa, tell me a joke" I can't hear anything.

IMHO there is something going wrong in the interpretation of the Bluetooth protocol. I can't tell whether the problem is caused by the Echo Dot or by the Soundtouch. Since the Echo Dot works fine with other Bluetooth receivers my gut feeling tells me that the Soundtouch is to blame.

LoveTech1998
Silent Starter
Registered since

Dec 26, 2018

Thanks for clarifying, Dan. Question: have you enabled the Bose Soundtouch Control “skill” on your alexa app? I think this will pair them over wi go which may be a more stable option.

Also, have you tried unplugging everything and “forgetting” the sound touch on the echo dot and basically starting from scratch.

Also, if the soundtouch connects to other devices like a phone or computer this might be hindering it too.

Outside of that, hopefully a Bose technician can see your question and hep out. Good luck!

Dan_Seweri
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Sep 26, 2017

Please believe me: I am not a beginner. All settings are correct. My Echo Dot 3 devices are replacements for older 2nd gen Echo Dots. With my older Echo Dots everything works perfectly, but not with the lastest generation of Echo Dots.

There is a bluetooth interoperability issue with Bose SoundTouch and Amazon Echo Dot 3 since I can constantly reproduce the problem with different devices. Bose and Amazon should look after that issue.

MikeBose
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jan 20, 2019

Hi, I got the same problem today. I paired my ST30 for the very first time with EchoDot 3rd Gen via BT. For the first 1-2 min everything worked fine. I could ask Alexa to play Adele and listened to it quite clear and comfortable through my Bose ST 30, with the exact volume I expected (with the same volume as from using single ST 30 without Echo, just streamed from Spotify). Then suddenly the volume dropped. But only, if I paired it via BT with EchoDot 3rd Gen. Then I went to another ST 30 in the second floor and connected it just with my Smartphone (not through EchoDot). And I got the same problem: the music through BT was so silent that I nearly had to increase to max output at my smartphone and max volume at the ST 30. Looks like the coupling with the first ST 30 even broke my other ST 30??? I do not have any explanations for that. Hopefully, Bose experts can help?!?

@Dan_Seweri wrote:

Please believe me: I am not a beginner. All settings are correct. My Echo Dot 3 devices are replacements for older 2nd gen Echo Dots. With my older Echo Dots everything works perfectly, but not with the lastest generation of Echo Dots.

There is a bluetooth interoperability issue with Bose SoundTouch and Amazon Echo Dot 3 since I can constantly reproduce the problem with different devices. Bose and Amazon should look after that issue.

Hi MikeBose,

Thank you for the post, and I'm sorry to hear about the issues you're having.

Can you power cycle your SoundTouch 30 systems?  If this does not help, can you do a factory reset on just one of the SoundTouch 30s?

Before reconnecting an Echo Dot, can you try a smartphone and see if it is working again?  What kind of smartphone are you using?

Best Regards,

Brandon - Community Support

MikeBose
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jan 20, 2019

Hi Brandon,

So, I power cycled and did also a factory reset. Now, my pure Smartphone (Samsung, Android) with BT and connected with ST 30 works again. Thanks for the hint.

But the BT coupling with EchoDot still is extremly silent. I have to put EchoDot to nearly max volume and ST 30 in similar manner to hear at least a silent sound. Seems, like the bass volume is there but nothing else. Any advice on that as well?

Thanks.

Hi Dan_Seweri,

Are you still experiencing an issue connecting your Echo Dot 3 via Bluetooth?  If so, we'll probably want to escalate this issue.  Would you be willing to collect log files from your system?

@MikeBose: That's great to hear that at least your smartphones are working.  If possible I'd like for you to collect log files as well.  Instructions are located HERE.  

Best,

Brandon

Steedee
Silent Starter
Registered since

Mar 27, 2019

Hi,

I cannot connect my SoundTouch 20 to my 3rd generation Echo Dot either.

Something is not working.

Please help or send fix.

Thanks