tww
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Nov 10, 2016

Error 1652 playing some songs from iTunes library

I have an iTunes library playing through a NAS (Western Digital twonky). Most of those songs play fine on the Bose SoundTouch devices (I have a SoundTouch 10, 20 and Wireless Link Adapter).

Every now and then I find a song that will play under iTunes but not on a SoundTouch device. You Can Do Magic by America is one of those songs that won't play on SoundTouch, producing an Error 1652. Based on other recommendations for this error, I tried to download an upgraded format of the sond from iTunes but this song doesn't seem to upgrade better than an AAC 128 kbs format.

Can anyone else confirm whether this song based from an iTunes library will play on their SoundTouch device? Is the format the problem?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Error 1652 playing some songs from iTunes library

Hi tww, 

Can you try the steps outlined in the articles HERE and HERE to see if they help? Please let us know if you have any additional questions. 

Thank you 

tww
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Nov 10, 2016

Ok, this music file from iTunes turns out to be a Protected ACC format which is listed as not supported.

How often are music files "protected" and what does that mean in this case...protected from being able to listen to it (execpt on the iTunes app)? Is it possible to tell whether a copy on another album would be "protected" before I buy it again?

Hi tww, 

Thank you for responding. There's a great article HERE generally explaining about this. There's also another article HERE about how to update your music files so you can play these as easily as the others. Let us know if you have any others questions. 

Thank you! 

Highlighted
tww
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Nov 10, 2016

Thank you for the links to those articles...

The first one, Why Are Some iTunes Files "Purchased" and Others "Protected," does nicely clarify the difference... although I was not impressed with the social warning that I might get caught for stealing from musicians by "sharing" music that I purchased---with myself? I guess I should assume the author means with other people but a legitimate case to make a copy was not discussed. If I had known when I purchased those songs that I would not be able to play them on my own media server in my own home then I would have returned them for a refund; I will watch for that in the future.

I followed the steps in the second article, "KILL THE DRM IN YOUR OLD ITUNES MUSIC PURCHASES." Unfortunately out of 13 "Protected" songs that I have only one of them got replaced with a "Purchased" song; the rest remained "Protected." So the article's conclusion that DRM (Digital rights management) is gone and removable appears to be only sometimes (rarely?) true (unless I am missing something, but I made multiple tries).

Hi tww,

It's definitely a tricky subject.  Thankfully, most music purchasing services nowadays don't use DRM or have an option to purchase DRM-free music.  

Unfortunately for the 12 songs that you have that are still 'protected', you may have to contact Apple to see if they can be replaced with DRM-free tracks, or purchase them again (which certainly isn't the best option, but an option).

If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,

Brandon