heatman5
Advocate
Registered since

Dec 8, 2016

Excess Users Connected Through My SoundTouch 30 1st gen

Hello All,

For a very long time, my home network has been rock solid. I have all Asus Wireless Routers connected in their proprietary AI Mesh Network. All are behind a Verizon 1100 Gateway. Only the Verizon Gateway is connected directly to the Internet. The Verizon Gateway provides all users (Wired and Wireless) with their LAN Addresses through the Asus Routers configured as Access Points (A/P's). A short while ago (a few weeks) I noticed that the Main Asus Access Point (RT-AC5300) was showing anywhere from 45 to 100 users connected to my network through the Bose SoundTouch 30 (1st gen). I've unplugged the Bose SoundTouch 30 several times and have left it unplugged for as much as 48 hours. Each time I plug it back in (power only, the SoundTouch connects to the AI Mesh Network Wirelessly), I will see at least 45 users connected, and as time goes by, up to 100 users will be reported as being connected to my network through the Bose SoundTouch 30. The Verizon Gateway DOES NOT SEE THESE USERS. The only users the Verizon Gateway reports are my normal family member devices. I placed a Chat Session with Asus. They don't understand it and say thay I need to contact Bose.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this before, if so, is it smething I should be concerned with? Especially since the Verizon Gateway does not report these (phantom) users? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Sincerely,

heatman5

8 REPLIES 8
Charlotte_G

Re: Excess Users Connected Through My SoundTouch 30 1st gen

Hello heatman5,

Thank you for posting in the Bose Community.

As you have such a unique setup, it is hard to establish what exactly could be the route cause of this.

Do you have any images of the router settings?

Also, is this affecting the functionality of the speaker or network?

Due to the nature of the community forums, it may be hard to go into depth with this particular issue. You may find it easier to give our support team a call and they will be happy to assist you with this.

Global Contact Us > Select your country > Scroll to the bottom of the page > Click 'Contact Us'

Warm regards,

Charlotte G - Community Support

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
heatman5
Advocate
Registered since

Dec 8, 2016

@Charlotte_G 

As far as images of router settings, no, I don't think I would post something like that online. Although I would say that it is not affecting the SoundTouch Speaker's performance, there is something odd about it. If the MAC Address that the Speaker lists as being first, is the primary MAC Address, it is the Speaker's secondary MAC Address that's being reported by the Access Point. Also, when I enter the LAN IP Address that the Access Point states belongs to the SoundTouch Speaker, my web browser sometimes  times out. Sometimes I'll get the SoundTouch's web page like I normally would. It's hit or miss. I'm baffled. But, as I stated earlier, the Verizon Gateway doesn't see any of this. As far as the Gateway is concerned, nothing is out of the ordinary. That's why I contacted Asus first. I'm keeping an eye on it, but, I've never seen anything like this before. Maybe Monday morning I'll call Bose Support to see if there's anything to be concerned about. Thank you for your reply.

Sincerely,

heatman5

heatman5
Advocate
Registered since

Dec 8, 2016

@Carlotte_G,

I tried to send you a PM, but the System doesn't recognize "Charlotte_G". I would send a "PDF" privately if possible. Thank you.

Sincerely,

heatman5

Jessie_O

Hi Heatman5,

Thank you for coming back to us!

I'm sorry you were unable to send anything across. 

Were you able to get through to the team? How did it go?

Kindest, 

Jessie O

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
heatman5
Advocate
Registered since

Dec 8, 2016

heatman5
Advocate
Registered since

Dec 8, 2016

@Jessie_O ,

I'm having problems trying to reply.

Sincerely,

heatman5

Charlotte_G

Hello heatman5, 

I'm sorry that you are having difficulty replying. 

Were you able to contact our support team?

Warm regards,

Charlotte G 

heatman5
Advocate
Registered since

Dec 8, 2016

Hello All,

I finally found the time to try to resolve this issue. I spent a good amount of time on the phone with Bose Support today. The Tech was extremely knowledgeable and left no stone unturned. He really went the extra mile to investigate this. His final conclusion and a I definitely agree with him, is that the Asus Wireless Access Point is to blame. The Asus Wireless Access Point is stating that the Bose SoundTouch has an IP Address that was not provided by my Main Router (Verizon Gateway G1100). If I enter the IP Address (into a web browser) reported by the Verizon Gateway, I get the Internal Webpage of the Bose SoundTouch. If I enter the IP Address reported by the Asus Wireless Access Point (into a web browser), I get nothing. The Bose Tech stated that he would discuss this with others at Customer Support and email me if anyone has seen this before of if anyone is aware of a solution. I thanked him very much for his time and effort. Then... I contacted Asus, who immediately assured me that this was just a glitch and I don't need to worry about it. I agree, somewhat with this, but I explained that there is still an issue with the Asus Wireless Access Point, such that I cannot accept it's reporting the wrong IP Address. He said he would email me forms to fill out and return. He did and I did. So I'm waiting for Asus's assessment of the issue. Sorry for the kong delay in this response, and I apologize for my long winded explanation. Thank you for listening.

Sincerely,

John Wagner

heatman5