Community Manager

FLAC Files With ID3 Tags Workaround

Problem:  
Some users may experience an inability to play FLAC files from their music library due to their tags being in an unsupported ID3 format. 
Workaround:
Convert the file tags to the supported FLAC tag (Vorbis comments) format. 
Background information
From https://xiph.org  
What kinds of tags does FLAC support?
"FLAC has its own native tagging system which is identical to that of Vorbis. They are called alternately "FLAC tags" and "Vorbis comments". It is the only tagging system required and guaranteed to be supported by FLAC implementations.
Out of convenience, the reference decoder knows how to skip ID3 tags so that they don't interfere with decoding. But you should not expect any tags beside FLAC tags to be supported in applications; some implementations may not even be able to decode a FLAC file with ID3 tags."
Important Notes

• The following process was completed using a third party tag-editing software. Since Bose does not produce this software, we cannot officially support it or its application. This is merely a suggested resolution for those attempting to play FLAC files with ID3 tags.
  • Save a copy of your files to avoid any unexpected results from using a tag editor.  This process will permanently alter the music files you are working with.  
  • A software solution is being explored for a future SoundTouch update but a timetable is not available at this time.
  • We recommend that you perform this process on one file as a test to confirm it has been successful and  will play properly on your SoundTouch system.  If the process works, you can then select multiple files to convert going forward to save time.
  • Sync the SoundTouch Music Library after the changes have been made.  This can be done by selecting the SoundTouch Library icon in the system tray, right clicking it, and selecting Sync Music Library. 

Identifying the Issue
There are many programs that can perform these tasks.  We have investigated using the free MP3tag for Windows program found at http://www.mp3tag.de
To determine a file’s tag version using MP3tag:

• Select the file to be checked.  
  • Right click the file in MP3tag and note the tag version. If it contains a reference to ID3vX, it needs to be converted. 

Migrated Image

How to Convert Tags Using MP3 Tag

• Highlight and right click the file(s) to be converted
  • Select Remove Tag

Migrated Image

• Confirm the action  

Migrated Image

• Immediately select Edit > Undo Remove Tag

Migrated Image

• Note that the tag information returns in the left hand panel of the application

Migrated Image

• Click OK

Migrated Image

• Select File > Save Tag

Migrated Image

• Right click the file again and select Properties to confirm the change in the tag version. 

Migrated Image

6 REPLIES 6
billprew
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 1, 2014

Re: FLAC Files With ID3 Tags Workaround

Just so you know, I was using FLAC files that had the correct FLAC tags, and they still will not play.  When I go into the app and Explore to mymusic folder, and click on a .flac file, it doesnotplay and displays the message "Selectmusic content from the EXPLORE menu.".  So no go here...
~bill
RicoLeTarmo
Silent Starter
Registered since

Dec 12, 2015

It still does not work 😞
Highlighted
Community Manager

Bill/Rico - There is another FLAC problem separate from the ID3 tag issue that is scheduled to be resolved in the next update.  It's quite likely that this will apply to the issues you're having.  
DDJKSA
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 11, 2016

Thanks Bill.  Jason, I'll try the workaround but really this is very poor implementation and planning on Bose's part.
DDJ
GregWalcott
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 2, 2016

This is not working.  I installed the latest soundtouch app on my PC, removed ID3 tags (there were none it was type "()"), resynced, tested it, added FLAC tags in media monkey, verified them in MP3Tag as instructed above, tested it, resynced, tested it again.  In all cases, it does not even see the files.  It will play MP3s.  It sees WAVs but will not play them ("Select music content from the EXPLORE panel." message).  And these files play fine on my PC in Foobar 2000 as well as on my squeezebox over logitech media server. Jason, when can we expect the next update?
Migrated Image
SoundtouchUser
Silent Starter
Registered since

Oct 29, 2016

This solution does not work. I used the described application to check that my FLAC files have only FLAC tags. I tested almost all possible FLAC formats - I tested FLAC files which were encoded using the recommended configuration (16 bit / 44.1 KHz, as described in this article in the Knowledge Center (https://www.soundtouch.com/KnowledgeCenterView#!/feedtype=SINGLE_ARTICLE_DETAIL&id=kA0400000004NRKCA...)) and I also tested FLAC files which were encoded using among others the following other configurations: 

• 8 bit / 44.1 KHz
  • 24 bit / 44.1 KHz
  • 16 bit / 22 KHz
  • 16 bit / 42 KHz
  • 16 bit / 48 KHz
  • 24 bit / 48 KHz

The SoundTouch 10 Series III speaker with the latest software updates could not read any of the above-mentioned files. 
I used the application MediaMonkey Version 4.1.14.1813 (latest version) to encode the FLAC files from a CD. It encoded the FLAC files using only the FLAC tags - I checked it using the application recommended by you. 
I am very disappointed about the lack of support for the FLAC files in the SoundTouch 10 Series III speaker.
I am especially disappointed due to the fact that Bose lies in the specifiactions of the SoundTouch speakers regarding the support of the FLAC files (as described in this article in the Knowledge Center (https://www.soundtouch.com/KnowledgeCenterView#!/feedtype=SINGLE_ARTICLE_DETAIL&id=kA0400000004NRKCA...)). In my opinion Bose should write in the specifications that the SoundTouch speakers do not support the FLAC format (or at least delete the false information about the support of FLAC files) and not waste the time of the users by proposing some solutions to this lack of support which do not work.
It was the first speaker bought by me, because I wanted to test how it works before I buy a bigger SoundTouch speaker from Bose. I hope that you will add the support for the FLAC files to the SoundTouch devices.