Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 23, 2016

Full DLNA Support - WHEN?

This is a straightforward question to BOSE, I dont want any BS or avoiding the question

WHEN are you going to FULLY support DLNA servers for streaming of local media i.e. from a NAS?

For those who dont know soundtouch doesnt fully support DLNA so you will likely run into problems like this guy has with plex

https://community.bose.com/t5/SoundTouch-Archive/Bose-App-with-Plex-Media-Server-DLNA/td-p/602

I also use plex and experience the same issues. I am just about at the end of my tether with soundtouch

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Re: Full DLNA Support - WHEN?

Hi there,

Thanks for the question.  If you are looking for an exact date where all DLNA servers will be supported, I can safely say that that exact date does not exist.  When major updates are released for SoundTouch, they typically include stability fixes which will hopefully include DLNA functionality additions as well.  I'm looking forward to this as well; I have PLEX running on my home server.  However in the meantime I have been able to use foobar2000 (https://www.foobar2000.org/) along with the DLNA server addon (https://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_upnp) with great success.  

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Best,

Brandon

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 23, 2016

Seriously Brandon, is this the official answer you are giving from Bose? There are likely to be thousands of people using your hardware to stream from their local media sources - firstly you didnt answer the question, then you answered a question that i didnt ask and finally you made recommendation to "try" another server software when you cannot possibly know every users hardware! (this is what is known in the trade as a brush off)

I asked when will DLNA be FULLY supported with Bose products as you have previously stated (see above linked thread) that they are not. I also asked for no BS. The question was not when all server softwares will be supported but if Bose hardware was DLNA certified it should cooperate with all servers anyway.

Now please, the world is reading and waiting for some firm information before most users put their Bose products on eBay. When will Bose products fully support DLNA?

Please dont fob us off with another mindless answer

Highlighted
Advisor
Registered since

Apr 11, 2017

I think Bose has either a huge resources problem or a huge communication problem. The right approach would be to publish quarterly announcements, stating what features are currently in development and stick to a predicable release cycle:

"Hey guys, right now we are working on:

- DLNA support

- sound equalizer

- Sleep timer

- <some other stuff>

They are planned to be released in Aug 201. Thanks for your attention, have a nice day."

Otherwise, it just creates an impression of stalled product development. I don't know why - is it because Bose has a dev team that is just too small spread so thin that they just can't manage to push out features at any reasonable rate, or is it that they've gone full Apple and want to announce only if something is fully ready. Well, you can forgive Apple for the radio silence, because Apple actually delivers huge, useful features like clockwork.

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Mar 1, 2017

@sadsack5000

Nowhere in the linked thread did Bose say they would make SoundTouch 100% DLNA compliant. Nor to the best of my knowledge have i ever seen them say this publicly nor is it anywhere in the marketing.

Brandon answered your question perfectly well, there is no set date for this and neither have Bose commited to this anywhere. Maybe they will maybe they wont. Thats the answer like it or not

If this is a must have feature for your use case then im afraid you made the wrong purchasing choice.

Dont be under the illusion that theres thousands of people waiting for this response as this was never a feature advertised and also is fairly niche in the grand scheme of things. The alternatives Spotify/streaming services, NAS drive, Windows and Mac library streaming suffice for the majority.

Sadsack5000, I have a question for you?

Where do you get off being so rude and arrogant to people?

It shocks me peoples attitudes online sometimes, acting like children. If you act like this in person you wont get very far.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 23, 2016

@Jbaker thousands of people spend good money on soundtouch products clearly totalling millions of dollars of profit for Bose yet they provide software which is buggy, lacking and in many ways unusable. Now let me see, here in the knowledge forum there is a guide on how to connect the soundtouch device to a NAS https://www.soundtouch.com/KnowledgeCenterView?id=kA0400000004OED. And just how does the NAS communicate to the soundtouch device? Well if you dont know that pretty much sums up how ignorant you are.

People have every right to be annoyed. It is especially annoying when the community asks a very clear question that probably hundreds are eager to know and their representatives evade the question. And dont kid yourself DLNA is obviously a big deal for wifi speakers, you must've beamed down from Mars if you cant understand that. People want to know. That rubbish you just spewed does no good for the commuity and only reveals your ignorance to the consumer. Do us all a favour, stop posting here and get a hobby

Now back to the question.

I want to know when DLNA will be fully supported by BOSE. Im not talking about specific server software. Plex is a popular example which runs on a variety of hardware so if it makes it easier for you, when will BOSE support Plex?

And for those who dont know already SONOS already support plex straight out of the box

https://www.plex.tv/apps/streaming-devices/sonos/

Highlighted
Advisor
Registered since

Apr 11, 2017

Sadsack5000, hold on, bro, hold on.

To be fair to Bose, they never commited or announced full DLNA support, as JBaker noted. So we can't blame them. Now, whether it's a wise company policy not to support DLNA in their flagship wireless product - that's a wholly different question:)

And don't be rude to people. Really. You'll thank me later, when you graduate from high school:)
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Mar 1, 2017

@sadsack5000

Thanks for linking me to that article that states clearly that SoundTouch isn't fully DLNA compliant and recommends compatible devices. Had you done some research prior to purchase and read this article then you wouldnt be in this position.

I use my SoundTouch with a Synology NAS drive and knew that this would work prior to purchase from my own research. Stop making assumptions on what i do and do not know.

Ultimately i dont mind that you are asking about DLNA support and agree that this would be a good feature to add. 

The question you raised is a valid one but the way you asked it is very aggresive, arrogant and childish.

The people you are talking to on this forum are human. Treat them with a little respect.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 21, 2017

I totally understand the aggravation SadSack5000 feels!  I too have spent plenty with Bose over the years starting with their Lifestyle 50 back in the day when they were the super wow of sound setting the standard for audio quality with iconic visual design.  Even then, I remember a problem updating that system with a new, all-in-one convenience upgrade. I recall an Audio Authority rescue that actually provided the IR Remote compatibility.  This "Throw It All Away / Buy New" business model rules; so, don't hold a breath waiting on Bose to move on this, not so new, DLNA communication glitch.  Sadly, the awesome turned big, boring, & plastic, and a stellar brand closer to mediocre.  Product innovation, technology integration with inspired, satisfied customers may be some good strategies to avoid the tar pits that swallowed Xerox, Atari, Kodak and a few others...