Silent Starter
Registered since

Jan 17, 2016

HDMI ARC v.s. Optical Audio Cable

Hello,
I've got a Samsung KS8500 TV and my SoundTouch130 is currently connected through the HDMI ARC. 
Question. What is Bose recommendation for the audio input and output. Does leaving the audio return through HDMI ARC point more stable/recommended ? Or is it better to have a separate optical audio cable back to the Bose receiver? 
Base on Bose's expert opinion, which option provides the best audio experience to end user ?
Thanks,
Alvin
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 11, 2014

Re: HDMI ARC v.s. Optical Audio Cable

Hi Alvin,
In the situation you describe HDMI ARC and an Optical connection are simply two ways of accomplishing the same thing. We usually only suggest adding an optical cable in instances where a TV does not support ARC or where ARC features are not working as desired. (some specific TV's will not send streaming media content across ARC for instance).
For our purposes with your SoundTouch 130, Both methods of connection will produce an equivalent listening experience with great digital-quality sound from your TV. 
Thank you for your question!
Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

How about on a Soundtouch 300 soundbar? Is using an optical connection a lesser listening experience than via the HDMI? Am I losing quality as a result? Thanks
Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 22, 2016

There should be no difference. In both instances a digital signal is sent to the soundbar for conversion.

Highlighted
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Jan 23, 2017

Bose Support informed me that OPTICAL is better as HDMI ARC might be compressed