Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Xyz987
Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Hi Res Flac Music With Bose Soundtouch 300

Would a listener be able to appreciate hi res flac file music using a Bose Soundtouch 300 with bass and rear surrounds?

5 REPLIES 5
Xyz987
Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Re: Hi Res Flac Music With Bose Soundtouch 300

I'm thinking there is probably no way to get the hi res music from my iphone to the Soundtouch 300 anyway because I'm not sure AirPlay 2 and Apple TV 4K don't support it anyway.  I guess you could hard wire from the iPhone to the Bose 300 if the Bose would support it and if it would actually make a difference.

rickatk
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

>Would a listener be able to appreciate hi res flac file music using a Bose Soundtouch 300 with bass and rear surrounds?

Yes... I have experimented with different audio files and bit rates and notice considerable difference in audio playback, especially where bit rate is concerned.

Often the sound is more lively and clear sounding because more of the audio signal (highs and lows) is left in the file either when decoding or streaming.

iTunes doesn’t support Flac files but you can convert the Flac files to Apple Lossless, which will give you the same quality audio file when using iTunes.

Apple TV 4 and Airplay will support an actual Flac file but you will have to find a Flac file player.

Here is a primer article for you:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.macrumors.com/2017/09/15/apple-flac-playback-4k-apple-tv-iphone-7-8-...

If you look around the internet you will find lots of resources for dealing with Flac or Apple Lossless files.

This fellow has done lots of work around hi res audio:

https://www.aixrecords.com/

Finally:

I have settled on the following strategy for dealing with digital audio files.

1. SoundTouch... I look for the highest bit rate streams.

2. iTunes and Apple Music (over Airplay) I set to 256kbits AAC for all my importing and encoding. Good balance between quality and convenience.

Xyz987
Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

I installed Vox on my iPhone 6S Plus to use as a player.  I might order a DragonFly Red DAC and Lightning to USB 3 adapter and subscribe to Tidal streaming.  I'm not interesting in buying a bunch of music and doing a bunch of conversions.  I would use headphones unless there is a way to stream hi res to the Apple TV 4K and hear the hi res on a Bose Soundtouch 300.

rickatk
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@Xyz987 wrote:

I installed Vox on my iPhone 6S Plus to use as a player.  I might order a DragonFly Red DAC and Lightning to USB 3 adapter and subscribe to Tidal streaming.  I'm not interesting in buying a bunch of music and doing a bunch of conversions.  I would use headphones unless there is a way to stream hi res to the Apple TV 4K and hear the hi res on a Bose Soundtouch 300.

You currently have all the ingredients for hi - res audio for your Bose SoundTouch gear now. With your Apple TV and Airplay connected to your SoundTouch 300, why not try a trial Tidal subscription using your iPhone, Tidal app and Airplay?

rickatk
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@Xyz987 wrote:

Would a listener be able to appreciate hi res flac file music using a Bose Soundtouch 300 with bass and rear surrounds?

This is an interesting review about Tidal music. I thought one of the reviews put it really well when talking about hi res sound:

"The sound seemed to open up and breathe a little more with the higher-resolution files“

https://www.crutchfield.ca/S-WTxqGdNqN5B/learn/Tidal-music-streaming-review.html?XVINQ=DGC&XVVER=AAA...