lars_bose_user
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Apr 18, 2017

HomePod release confirmed - AirPlay 2 for SoundTouch?

Hi Bose-Team!

Today, Apple finally revealed the release date of the HomePod speaker. It is ready for preorder this Friday and starts shipping on the 9th. I would suppose that this applies to the release of AirPlay 2 as well.

You informed the Bose community that a software update will be provided to most Soundtouch speakers to utilise the benefits of AirPlay 2 (incuding HomeKit-features). As you promised to release the update and share more on product compatibility and functionality specifics until the end of last year, I suppose that you now have all details at hand and can finally provide us with details on the update? 

I am (just like so many others) desperately waiting for some details on the update that includes AirPlay 2. Please let us know which product will receive this update and when. I have postponed buying additional Soundtouch speakers (at least three) for months now while waiting for this update ...

Thanks! 🙂

26 REPLIES 26
James_S
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Jan 5, 2017

Re: HomePod release confirmed - AirPlay 2 for SoundTouch?

Wait to hear what Apple says about AirPlay 2 before Bose even talks about it. My guess it wont be in their systems until 3 to 6 months from now.

Highlighted
Piffmuff
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jan 8, 2018

"What Apple say?" What do you mean? AirPlay 2 is realsed and we know plenty of it, same does bose. Supprisingly bose doesent tell us anything tho. I was antisipainting full remake and realse of soundtouch app today or in the next couple of days. I cant belive how tight bose are playing their cards. And i really dont understand to what purpose. Ofc iget there might be heavy restrictions in working with Apple. But come on, b&o and sonos have given some info to their customers atleast. 

So bose, could you now tell us anything about the future of ST and AirPlay 2? Can you now give us any info?

anyhow, im still on the fence regarding buying an ST300, considering ordering an homepod instead Then changeing to sonos. ID rather go with an corp That dont hold their customers in the shaddows.....

Denziloshamen
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Sep 18, 2017

You’ve obviously not read more than the headline for the release of Apple’s HomePod then. They’re releasing it half baked as they can’t get everything to work still. Out of the box, there’s no AirPlay 2, multiroom support or stereo pairing. Airplay (1) will work, but that’s your lot.

Apple have said the features will launch “later in the year”, so goodness knows when that will be.

For once, with multiroom and stereo pairing, it seems that Bose are actually ahead of a competitor. Do not expect Airplay 2 for many months and certainly not before Apple manage to get to work in their own speaker.
QzzB
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 31, 2017

Would like to just add, I did a search on Sonos Forums, and they are being just as vague as Bose, and I think for clear reasons. Apple might of released the HomePod, but until Apple release any form of API, coding or technical details to developers, its impossible, and irresponsible for Bose, Sonos or anyone to confirm compatibility. They dont know the basics, such as will the Hardware work, will the software affect the current featureset. 

Sonos forum (https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/airplay-2-only-for-the-new-sonos-one-6791...) has the same discussions, including Sonos saying: 

we haven't shared all the details on this one and will be keeping it pretty quiet for a bit as development is early on and things tend to change

Think you need to give Bose and the other manufacturers time to analyse so they can give a measured, accurate response. I will admit Bose are not the best in replying to feature requests or giving customers updates, but Airplay 2 will only allow you to do what can already be done with the SoundTouch; multi-room speakers. Yeah it might be easier when using the Apple Ecosytem but we all have this functionality already and Airplay 2 will just be the same. If you really want full Apple/Airplay 2 I think the best option will be Apple TV/HomePods as its "full Apple" rather than a 3rd party vendor hooking into Apple's API. 

Piffmuff
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jan 8, 2018

First off; the AirPlay 2 protocol is out! Yes, there are some features like stereo and multi that’s not included in this version but AirPlay 2 is still out.. which means that Bose now know officially what to deal with! But every moron know they have been working close with Apple lately considering AirPlay 2. So in my opinion Bose should at least tell us **bleep** they are working with, what products and solutions to excpect!

Secondly, Sonos have given of more info, they have given info about which prod that most likely will get implemented.

So no, Bose are not satisfying their customers here, considering they are a premium retailer they should **bleep**ing give premium feedback.

But yeah, still trying to keep my cool and wait.. wait for stupid ducking features like an alarm clock on my expensive SoundTouch system in 2018.. and if u believe that im the problem, pleas take a read in the forum and community.. look how long Bose have been giving out those stupid answeres “I’ll pass they request to the engineering dep.” “currently I don’t know where or what development are thinking”

It’s amazingly poor treatment of customers to not even try giving them them most info you can! And yes, I fully understand they have to hold contracts and firm secrets. But this is just ****
QzzB
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 31, 2017

Bose are known for good sound, if Airplay 2 is not even offering Stereo, then I wouldnt expect Bose to release anything. Sonos have mentioned it will be included in all forthcoming speakers but have not said what current ones will be getting it - unless im missing something?? 

Im not saying your the problem, and I support anything that makes better features for customers, but you have to bear in mind how tech works. You buy some technology based on the current featureset, not anytihng else that might happen in the future. Being frustrated there is no alarm clock feature when its not a current featureset of the product makes no sense. If you needed a wifi speaker with alarm clock so vitally, why buy a bose?? 

I hope that we get new features and technology, but ultimatley, the ST range has been designed to be SoundTouch, not Airplay or anything else that might come out years after development. I hope its added, but if its not you should be happy with the featueset when you purchased, and cant be angry that a specific feature that didnt exist when you purchased isnt added. 

Bose like any other manufacturer, has to decide what to invest in and what to develop. Apple AirPlay I believe comes with a cost to be ale to use the API (think i read it in another forum). Is this worthwile for Bose to pay? If the full API isnt out yet, how does Bose know that the hardware will work? Stereo and multi-room might end up having much higher memory/cpu requiremments so some of the range might not work for example. 

I do fully agree that Bose support/communication is Lax and poor. They mention that they are going to do something and dont post anything of substance - so im with you 110% on that and the feedback should be better and this is something that Bose need to work on massivley. 

Also I would like to mention, and have said in multiple posts, communities like these often have many more negative comments than postive. people generally only take the time to post/respond and discuss negative experiences with products and services. Why would 95% of customers be visting a support forum if you didnt have a problem? Some people do post positive and try and help, but most will be negative. Thats true of almost every support forum for products on the web. 

Piffmuff
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jan 8, 2018

Well, first; thank you for being reasonable. I’m willing to admit that I lost my head abit in the latest post considering my language. But I still think you are wrong.

1. “Bose is known for good sound” well, so is sonos and b&o, why are they implementing and embracing AirPlay 2 even tho it still in “mono” ?

(And yes, I believe, but not 100% sure, that they have given out info on what speakers will get updated. I’ll get back with a link if there is one) ((b&o have given specific info about support))

2. Yes, we do buy technology based on the current specs and features. But NO, that does not mean we don’t invest for it to **bleep**tion in the future! Okay, I’ll give u that an alarm clock was not mentioned and buuhuu I shouldn’t anticipate that it’s coming. (Even if it’s ludacris that basic simple things like that it’s not there!) STILL, you don’t go buy or in my opinion invest in an PlayStation 4 based on the current games. It is ofc an reasonable assumption that Sony will make upcoming games available for the PS4 based on the current specs. Same with ST, it’s an WiFi-multi room system. It connects to your smart phone via an app. Ofc I am assuming there will be updates and implementation of upcoming future tech. So should you!

Same way I anticipated that my old iPad whould get new apps and updates until the specs made it obsolete. (iOS 10 is an 64bit and my old iPad was not) this took at least 7 years, I was aware off it, apple shared why they went with 64bit os and it’s perfectly fine! I dissent go rant up apples community for that. That’s how tech works, in my opinion.

So yeah, not trying to make a fight, and not trying to offend you or anyone. Yes, I agree that community’s like this aren’t evenly represented considering happy or disgruntled customers.

Anyhow, I’m just frustrated about the lack of info and taking it out on the forum here. Sorry for that

Btw, Bose ST was designed to support AirPlay. Some ST prod still support it, and AirPlay is not hardware but software, and doesn’t require anything else than Bose signing with Apple(ofc not for every product) And they have done so, and they have been working with Apple for months now.. just give us some info about it!

QzzB
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 31, 2017

Thanks again for your feedback. I still cant fully agree for the following: 

1. Im not saying Bose is better than the others, its up to the companies to decide their rollout strategy. Maybe Bose with AirPlay 2 in its current form, doesnt want to comit given that Apple has already delayed the HomePod and the featureset isnt up to what Bose want to implimnet (again I fully agree that if this kinda thing is the case, Bose should say so!) 

2. I think you are comparing things like Apps with Services offered nativley by the OS. For example, when Siri was announced on the iPhone, Apple didnt retrospectivley add it to the previous generation. There is no technical reason Apple couldnt of done this, as Siri is mearly software. Fact is Siri is a feature, and decided not to impliment the Feature. Bose features are baked into the product, much like Siri. Its not a 3rd party App. In comparison, Bose has a API which app developers can use to create their own Apps and doesnt require anything further in the OS, similar to iPad apps not being version specific as you mention. This is 3rd party development Not Apple so not comparable. 

and in regards to the AirPlay support, it has been dropped from the newer models of the ST range, so that would imply there was a reason (cost or Technical were not sure) but they dropped fro mthe newer product ranges. Bose do still support the older products where AirPlay was listed as a feature, as it was a advertised feature for that range. 

When you buy into a ecosystem (i.e. SoundTouch) you should make a informed decision based on the current featureset. Thats not to say that I dont agree more sohuld be added, however i dont see the logic of getting irate because a specific feature isnt implimented when it wasnt the feature in the first place. I would agree that if AirPlay is in a product, it sohuld be upgraded to AirPlay 2. I know Airplay is just a software API, however there will be a overhead of the API and processing of the sound signal, that is what im refering to as to the hardware. Lets say Apple's API and encoding to Apple Sound Format requires alot of CPU, and the ST 10 cannot suport this- without alot of dev it would be impossible and irresponsible to start suggesting updates. It might be Bose being over-caucious than Sonos, but thats a company decision. Just because one has, doesnt mean they all work in the same way. 

You also have to take the measured approach of does the AirPlay 2 features actually make senese? what does it do over and above the SoundTouch function? At the moment I can use spoitfy connect to play directly on a speaker then sue the ST app to sync speakers. OK,  i agree that it would be good to be able to do this from your phone in one click, but is it really that lacking? Development on adding AirPlay 2 could slow down the SoundTouch development for non-apple users and basically duplicating functionality that Bose neeed to constantly update (when apple release new updates). This could be worse for users who are happy with the way it currently runs and slow down the addition of more services and updates). 

Again -  I would like to maintain that I am not saying I dont expect updates and enhancements, but this is a very specific 3rd party feature rather than a steaming service to be added to the ST firmware. Bose could do better at updates and keeping us updated

If Apple are not launching wiht multi-room or Stereo, it would suggest they are having problems coding this - so might require more overhead to process the stereo or mulit-speaker features - as the HomePod is already delayed.

I am just trying to give a level argument and maybe another view of why we are where we are. Again, I totally agree the lack of udpates from Bose, and they are not communicating with customers, however customers can do one of two things, 1. Make the best of it and use the products/features that are currently avalible or 2. decide that Bose Development is not to your liking and move elsewhere. I beleive it lessns your point when using bad language - if you make a well reasoned argument then you will be taken more seriously than f'ing and blinding over things. Chances are Bose are going to disregard the comments. 

I just want to finish by saying, that when AirPlay 2 was announced, I did post to support this feature, however I do beleive let Apple Launch, sort out the bugs and fix all features before releasing a half-baked featureset. It will only cause more problems and more irate customers in the forums. 

Apologies to keep going on, however I feel as a community we are better to be more reasoned in our posts and less "shouty", would you respond or take into account someone who can come accross agressive and swearing in feedback?? Chances are no. 

rawkfist1501
Silent Starter
Registered since

Feb 9, 2018

Since none of the users here seem to have the proper technial experince (or at least in dealing with Apple).. 

Airplay 2 is out, but in beta. Im testing it now and it works fine and Apple has (and is known for) allowing 3rd parties and developers to have free, easy access to the APIs such as homekit. I think the only thing is perhaps a usage fee or something for the hardware. Not sure on that.. But this is purely up to Bose whether they intend to add compatibility. Yes they would have to add the software, but they also would be including another stream of users that would use the Apple prdduct built ins over using yet another third party app. And I cant say im all that fond of the Bose app. Its very finicky at best and Im definitely not going through it for WiFi. The idea for WiFi systems is to have to open and mess with as few settings and apps as possible. 

Also I love Bose products. im using the Acoustimass system and the Cinemate GS system with two Apple TVs and they sound great. And what's better is that the Apple TV makes them into airplay accessible audio sources. So it frustrates the crap out of me that Bose would remove support for airplay. Literally sent back the ST 10 bc of this. 

And as far as Airplay goes, it has the SAME functionality, but far easier to use if you have an Apple device. Airplay 2 allows stereo speaker linkage and multi speaker use. Its in beta 2 so I give it a month before its release knowing the beta timetable. And devs and third parties had access ahead of time. Sonos recently announced they would support AirPlay 2 and it will work alongside HomePod (which I just got today and it sounds fantastic). But being a Bose fan, I came here hoping for good news.. but instead I see myself moving away from the multiroom/portable side of Bose. 

Anyway I hope this came across civil. Not trying to sound as aggressive (or passive aggressive) as the last peoples. This is partially so Bose can see what I think coming from both worlds. I want harmony and not having hoops and disjointed methodologies of playing music.