lizethkemny
Silent Starter
Registered since

Feb 12, 2018

Re: HomePod release confirmed - AirPlay 2 for SoundTouch?

Learn how to use the touch controls on HomePod and what the different status lights on the top of HomePod mean: https://www.howtoisolve.com/homepod-touch-gestures/

lars_bose_user
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Apr 18, 2017

Hi all,

Thanks for all you answers and thoughts on the topic!

I certainly did not want to blame Bose for the delay of AirPlay 2 integration, especially after hearing that Apple kicked out AirPlay 2 of the latest iOS 11.3 beta. The Bose support stated in this discussion, that there are still no news yet. It might even be delayed until iOS 12. How annoying! 

However, I would highly appreciate an answers from Bose to the question which SoundTouch speakers will be able to receive the AirPlay 2 update. In my case, I would buy three new SoundTouch speakers right away if I knew that they will support the update.

QzzB
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 31, 2017

It would be good to get some confirmation about the product lineup, but if Apple cant even tell you when its coming, it would be irresponsible of Bose to actually make promises they cant keep until it has been finalised by Apple.

Unfortunately, I think we might need to just wait this one out.
tippex
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Apr 26, 2018

While I have been very patient with Bose and Airplay 2 support bearing in mind a lot of the delay appears to be on the Apple side, Sonos have today announced which speakers will be supporting Airplay 2 (https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/4/25/17283114/sonos-apple-airplay-2-support-details).  The issue appears to be that not all Sonos speakers are able to support Airplay 2 due to the processing power involved and the amount of audio that needs to be buffered.

How far are Bose away from making a similar announcement?  I bought a Soundtouch 300 and subwoofer as well as a Soundtouch 20 series 3 not long after Bose's Airplay 2 announcement last June (https://twitter.com/bose/status/871833192524730369?lang=en).  It is somewhat of a frustration that any questions regarding Airplay 2 appear to be directed back to a statement made by Bose in the forums nearly a year ago.

I am not looking for a firm date but a bit more information would be appreciated.  I have spent a lot of money on Bose kit on the promise of Airplay 2 compatibility, yes this was probably a bit stupid on my part and I may have to start from scratch to actually achieve what I am looking for if Bose don't come through on their promise, but surely with Airplay 2 now in beta and Bose being a launch partner there is more information available.  I am not, however, expecting a helpful response based on other responses on these forums.

Emulord
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 3, 2017

Then we both are stupid, haha. I bought a set of ST20 + 2 ST10 + ST Adapt last year, following the announcement, and truly hope that this won't end up being a letdown.

I might very well buy another set of speakers designed by a competitor if these, while brand new, won't let me create the "home cinema" I am patiently waiting for as of now.

Anyway, the relative lack of news is not really Bose's fault, the implementation not even being final on iOS and Apple's very own HomePod.
tippex
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Apr 26, 2018

@Emulordwrote:
Then we both are stupid, haha. I bought a set of ST20 + 2 ST10 + ST Adapt last year, following the announcement, and truly hope that this won't end up being a letdown.

I might very well buy another set of speakers designed by a competitor if these, while brand new, won't let me create the "home cinema" I am patiently waiting for as of now.

Anyway, the relative lack of news is not really Bose's fault, the implementation not even being final on iOS and Apple's very own HomePod.

If Sonos are able to annouce which of their speakers are going to be compatible with Airplay 2, I fail to see why Bose can't.  I just want to know if I am keeping my speakers or putting this forray into Bose down as a (rather expensive) bad experience.

lars_bose_user
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Apr 18, 2017

Hi Bose-Team!

As Apple finally released iOS 11.4 with AirPlay 2, how about you provide us with some insight into the SoundTouch product lineup that will support your AirPlay 2 update?

Which SoundTouch speakers will be provided with the update and when will you provide the update?

Thanks a lot! Smiley Happy

czbird
Silent Starter
Registered since

May 31, 2018

Just evaluating between Bose 300 and Yamaha 2700. The only thing keeping me away from going with Bose is the lack of AirPlay support. Please confirm/deny this *will* (not *might be*) implemented, and you’ll have one more customer.

Hi lars_bose_user and czbird,

Thanks for the posts.  As of now, there is no timeline available for the release of Airplay 2.  If we hear anything at all, we will update the community 

Best Regards,

Brandon - Community Support

Angryofm
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Nov 1, 2015

In other words forget it, AP2 will not happen for our existing product line but might be part of a new product launch sometime in the future...

just as with all the previous Bose promises, AP2 will never happen, no sign of the Bose name on Apple’s AP2 site, it has been removed, it was there 12mths ago when AP2 was announced.

i see the slow demise of Bose in this product arena, they can’t support what they have sold now so they don’t stand a chance against Apple and Homekit once the ball starts rolling.

3yrs of crummy unreliable software and the most user unfriendly app have sealed their fate, better stick to headsets Bose...