Angryofm
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Nov 1, 2015

Re: HomePod release confirmed - AirPlay 2 for SoundTouch?

Actually the best thing that could happen would be for Apple to buy Bose, put some resuorces and decent software people in to the project, turn the ST range in to a Homepod range and do the job properly, give Sonos something to think about...

hdow
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 20, 2017

What you say makes sense to me. 

But right now, it appears to me that there are three basic drawbacks to buying a Bose multiroom system:

1. they don't support Airplay on their current speakers, and it's not clear that they ever will.

Fortunately for me, I bought two prior generation portable speakers, so with some judicious placement, and reliance on a tuner that accepts Airplay, I can get coordinated sound from my computer to where I need it. But it means a couple of my other speakers are left out of the loop. It would be nice to get them in sync, too.

2. their current speakers don't play nice with eero & other mesh wifi networks.

I certainly hope this gets solved. I planned to replace my aging Airport router with eero, but find that I have to keep the Airport network in place, only for the Bose speakers. Everything else is on eero, which is terrific - the signal reaches places Airport couldn't. But right now, I can't move my speakers everywhere I'd like to have them.

[UPDATE 6/27/18] I contaced eero support & they gave me a workaround to integrate my Bose system with eero. So I ditched the Airport system entirely. The workaround has worked flawlessly for several weeks now, & I can put my speakers anywhere I want. 

3. their portable speakers are not suitable for integration into a multiroom system.

My understanding is that the current crop of portable speakers can't be integrated into a group containing non-portable speakers. I managed to deal with this by acquring a couple of Series II portables, which can be integrated.

hdow
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 20, 2017

What you say makes sense to me. 

But right now, it appears to me that there are three basic drawbacks to buying a Bose multiroom system:

1. they don't support Airplay on their current speakers, and it's not clear that they ever will.

Fortunately for me, I bought two prior generation portable speakers, so with some judicious placement, and reliance on a tuner that accepts Airplay, I can get coordinated sound from my computer to where I need it. But it means a couple of my other speakers are left out of the loop. It would be nice to get them in sync, too.

[UPDATE 6/27/18] Ultimately I abandoned the attempt to integrate my tuner with my Bose speakers. Maybe when Airplay2 comes online with Bose, I'll give it another try.

2. their current speakers don't play nice with eero & other mesh wifi networks.

I certainly hope this gets solved. I planned to replace my aging Airport router with eero, but find that I have to keep the Airport network in place, only for the Bose speakers. Everything else is on eero, which is terrific - the signal reaches places Airport couldn't. But right now, I can't move my speakers everywhere I'd like to have them.

[UPDATE 6/27/18] I contaced eero support & they gave me a workaround to integrate my Bose system with eero. So I ditched the Airport system entirely. The workaround has worked flawlessly for several weeks now, & I can put my speakers anywhere I want. 

3. their portable speakers are not suitable for integration into a multiroom system. 

hdow
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 20, 2017

"You also have to take the measured approach of does the AirPlay 2 features actually make senese? what does it do over and above the SoundTouch function?"

This is a good question.

The short answer is that I believe that if AP2 is implimented on Bose speakers, I will be able to broadcast Apple Music directly from my iphone or ipad to the Bose speakers. Since Spotify is connected to the ST ecosystem, I can, by starting in Spotify on those devices, use ST to rebroadcast music to all my ST speakers. But I can't do this from Apple Music on my devices because ST won't allow rebroadcast from that source. So my theory is that if all my Bose speakers are updated to AP2, part of the deal will be that I can either broadcast directly to them, or rebroadcast, depending on how Bose impliments AP2.

You might observe that I should be able to connect Apple Music to ST via the "my computer library" link, but that is erratic in my experience - and anyway, I want to be able to control my music without having to go to my computer. Besides, if I'm going to do that, I can link directly to all my speakers, ST, AP or BT, using Airfoil. It's what I do for parties. 

hdow
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 20, 2017

"Since Spotify is connected to the ST ecosystem, I can, by starting in Spotify on those devices, use ST to rebroadcast music to all my ST speakers. But I can't do this from Apple Music on my devices because ST won't allow rebroadcast from that source. "

I've recently replaced my computer hard disk, & have taken the opportunity to clean out & update all the accumulated apps & files I have. I've reached the music update stage, & have learned that what I've quoted above is now incorrect (and may have been wrong all along...)

If I start with Apple Music on my iphone or other device, select a playlist or album, then select one of my ST speakers to listen on, I can use that speaker as the master speaker to rebroadcast to all my other ST connected devices, just as with Spotify.

What I can't do is is start with Spotify - I have to start with Apple music. I used to be able to access Apple Music as "My music library" from the ST app, but now find that I can't on any of my devices. But this may be because I've migrated all my computer based music to the Apple Music cloud (after making sure I had a backup of all the files on an external hard drive.)

From what I've seen, it looks like Airplay 2 will be on the new Bose speaker system 4, but will not be backwards compatible with systems 3 or 2. But I guess it won't matter, at least to me, since getting all my music on all my speakers is not an issue anymore - except for the inexplicable inablity to broadcast cds or radio stations I play on my Wave radio to any of my other ST speakers. 

hdow
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 20, 2017

<deleted>

hdow
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 20, 2017

@hdow wrote:

"If I start with Apple Music on my iphone or other device, select a playlist or album, then select one of my ST speakers to listen on, I can use that speaker as the master speaker to rebroadcast to all my other ST connected devices, just as with Spotify."

NOTE: in order to make this work, you have to first go to Apple Music/iTunes, start playing a song, and choose a Soundtouch speaker for it to play to. After that, you go to the SoundTouch app, where you will find that the speaker you selected is the master speaker, and you can create a group to rebroadcast to. This works from any Apple device which has Apple Music/iTunes on it.  

HOWEVER, the speaker you intially connect to must be connected through bluetooth. If you connect through Airplay, you will be unable to create a group & rebroadcast. 

As an aside, Spotify doesn't seem to care whether you start with bluetooth or Airplay. And it's easy to connect to from within the ST app. My problem with that is that the ST app doesn't let Spotify show my playlists or downloaded albums, so I wind up starting with Spotify anyway.