manishmatu
Registered since

Dec 27, 2015

How does SoundTouch 30 handle 96/192 kHz FLAC files?

Hi,
After your latest software update, SoundTouch 30 Series III can now play upto 16-bit/44.1kHz FLAC files. How does SoundTouch 30 handle 24-bit/96kHz and 24-bit/192kHz FLAC files? Does it play these files by down-sampling or does it reject these files (not play them)? A significant percentage of my music is in these better-than-CD-Quality FLAC files ..... hence, this question.
Thanx.
cheers,
- manish
7 REPLIES 7
Bose_-_George_P
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 11, 2014

Re: How does SoundTouch 30 handle 96/192 kHz FLAC files?

Hi Manish,
Audio files which are in an incompatible format (such as 24-bit FLAC files) will generally not appear in the Music library at all. However this depends on whether they are indexed from a computer or a NAS drive. 

If these files were to show up in your library they would definitely not play, and likely they would generate an error code. 
Thank you for your question.

manishmatu
Registered since

Dec 27, 2015

Hi George,
Thanx for your quick response. Not what I wanted to hear .... but, so be it. Obviously, SoundTouch30 will not meet my requirements. I also heard music from CineMate 15 and Companion 5 alongwith the SoundTouch 30. I liked the CineMate 15 sound too, and Companion 5 was OK. A couple of questions about them:
1. All my music in FLAC files is on my PC, connected via ethernet to my router. My second option is to install a high-end sound card in my PC (like, ASUS Essence STX) and run a coaxial cable from the sound card to the CineMate 15. Can the CineMate 15 play ALL flac files (including 24-bit/96kHz and 24-bit/192kHz) under the above scenario?
2. My third (& last) option is to connect the Companion 5 to my PC via USB cable. Can the Companion 5 play ALL flac files (including 24-bit/96kHz and 24-bit/192kHz) under this scenario?
3. If 'no' to 1 and 2 above, is there any Bose product that can play ALL flac files?
Thanx.
cheers,
- manish
manishmatu
Registered since

Dec 27, 2015

Just to be more specific to my post above .....
In point 1 above, the high-end sound card ASUS Essence STX can handle 24-bit 96/192kHz FLAC files via its coaxial SPDIF port.
In point 3 above, pls suggest a Bose product in the same price range as SoundTouch 30/CineMate 15.
Thx.
Bose_-_George_P
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 11, 2014

manishmatu,
the only issue playing certain file formats with the SoundTouch systems is that they are accessing and decoding these music files from a drive without help from any other software.
In the case of the Cinemate or Companion 5, your computer will be decoding those files through a 3rd party music player. (WMP, VLC, etc.). Those two speaker systems will play the direct output from your computer's sound card, and so functionally they can play any filetype the computer can play. 
Hope this makes sense. 
manishmatu
Registered since

Dec 27, 2015

Makes perfect sense, George. I thought this is how these two products should work .... thanx for the confirmation.
Now, I have two options:
1. Use software to down-sample my 96/192kHz FLAC files to 16-bit/44.1kHz FLAC, and buy a SoundTouch 30 to play them via ethernet.
2. Buy a CineMate 15. Install a high-end sound card in my PC and run a coaxial cable between the sound card and CineMate 15. Play my 96/192kHz FLACs also.
Decisions, decisions, decisions!!!
Thanx, George for ur quick, unambiguous and honest answers. I appreciate them.
cheers,
- manish
Thomas_O
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 22, 2015

Update: Please see here for our latest information on FLAC compatibility. 
SM
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 28, 2016

jusr received my brand new sound touch 30 today. very disappointed to know that this hulk with tiny speakers cannot play hd flac. also, the sound is not even as "rich" as my sound link mini, somehow. and there is practically no loudness / tone control. need high bass at low volume but the bass is defaulted to max already. minute mobiles have lot more features and intitutive software interfaces. please tie up with a software company. you guys are not in the software business. for now, i think i will have to use it as a bluetooth speaker only, not as a network player.