Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Muhlyssa
Participant
Registered since

Jul 5, 2016

Hung-up at Naming Speaker

Today we had to reset our Wi-Fi and it messed up my speaker. I've tried reconnect it and it's getting hung up at the NAMING SPEAKER.

The error message that pops up says "Can't Connect - Something Happened and we couldn't add the speaker to your Soundtouch account. Please try again later.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Keith_L
Community Manager

Re: Hung-up at Naming Speaker

Author Accepted Answer selected by Muhlyssa

No worries Muhlyssa, the information about the networks does still have relevance if connecting the speaker to your network using a computer, as it is still possible for the speaker to end up on a different network to the computer if you have more than one available. As it does not sound like you do have more than one network, however, the issue is likely elsewhere in the setup.

As you mentioned the problem started when you restarted the router, was this a power cycle, where you disconnected the router from power briefly, or was this a full reset of the router? I would definitely recommend checking the settings on your router against our recommended router settings HERE, as it is possible that one of these settings changed when the router was restarted and needs changing back. If you want a hand with changing the settings on your router then your internet service provider or router manufacturer will be able to assist with this.

I'd also recommend checking to see if you have a firewall enabled on the router or PC that may be blocking the speaker from linking to your account. Try temporarily disabling any firewalls while you set up the speaker and see if you still get the same error message.

Let me know how you get on!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Tegan_M

Hello,

Thanks for reaching out.

So I can provide you with the most accurate information, what product do you own? Please use this link to help you in identifying your product model.

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!
Muhlyssa
Participant
Registered since

Jul 5, 2016

SoundTouch 20 wireless speaker. 

Machine is connecting to WIFI but is unable to name device and connect to my Bose account or application

Tegan_M

Thank you very much for confirming this for us. 

Firstly, so we can see what the speaker is telling is regarding your connectivity, what is the LED status of your product is? What is its color? Is this also stable or pulsing?

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!
Muhlyssa
Participant
Registered since

Jul 5, 2016

It's solid white (not pulsing)

I have don't hard reset and restore to factory settings.

I am able to connect the device to my home WIFI. It is unable to connect to my sound touch account, I've tried it via the desktop and the iPhone app. It won't get past "naming speaker" - it tries for about two minutes, then I get an error message that states - Can't Connect. Please see image. Thank you.cantconnect.JPG

Keith_L
Community Manager

Thanks for confirming that for us Mulyssa!

If the setup fails at this stage, it usually means that your speaker is in need of an update. If the firmware version on the speaker is too old, the app can have trouble adding it to the app. You can update your speaker by following the steps shown HERE. I tend to find the USB cable method is the easiest way to update the speaker, so I would recommend trying that first!

You'll notice in the link there are a few update files you can download, so you do need to make sure you download the correct file for your speaker. If you are unsure whether your speaker is a series I, II, or III then the product identifier at the link @Tegan_M will let you know if you search the serial number.

Let me know how this goes!

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
Muhlyssa
Participant
Registered since

Jul 5, 2016

Thank you. I was able to identify my speaker and updated the firmware. I am still getting hung up and getting the same error message.

cantconnect.JPG

Jeff_G

Do you have more than one internet connection in your home? Many routers offer a 2.4ghz band and a 5ghz band. By default, these are generally synchronized. For SoundTouch products, we recommend splitting the bands.

If the bands are already split, something that could be happening is that your phone was connected to let's call it "NETWORK A", during setup, you set the speaker up with "NETWORK B". Your phone connects directly with your speaker during setup via WiFi using "Bose SoundTouch Network", but once you enter the details for NETWORK B and it connects, your phone will automatically jump back to NETWORK A. The problem with this is the two devices are on different networks now and are not directly communicating which can also cause the issue seen in your screenshot. To remedy this, ensure you set the speaker up to the same network as the phone so when the phone switches back to its original network, both devices are on the same network to allow communication between each other to continue. 

To get back to setup mode, I recommend holding Preset 1 and Vol- together for around 10 seconds. 

You can find out about our recommended router settings here.

I hope this helps!

Muhlyssa
Participant
Registered since

Jul 5, 2016

Thank you for your response.

We only have one internet connection in our home.

I am attempting to connect to via my computer, not my phone, so the instructions you've listed aren't exactly applicable.

Considering I was having no problems with my Bose until we recently restarted our router, does having that information help you troubleshoot at all?

Thank you for your time.

Muhlyssa
Participant
Registered since

Jul 5, 2016

Also, the device is connecting to our home WIFI - that's not the issue. The issue is connecting to Bose to connect the speaker to my account.