Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 23, 2017

I continue to have problems connecting

I continue to have problems connecting my computer (Macbook Air running Sierra 10.12.6) to my Soundtouch using the SoundTouch software.  If using wifi I regularly have to switch off both computer and Soundtouch speaker and reboot in order to get a connection.  If using bluetooth the signal is often dropped by the speaker even though it is only a couple of metres from the computer.

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Re: I continue to have problems connecting

Hi paul.pharoah,

Sorry to hear about the troubles you've been having.  

Do you have the SoundTouch application installed on anything else like a smartphone or a tablet?  Does it work on there?

How long as this been happening?  Did this start with the most recent update, or has it been going on for a while?

Thanks,

Brandon

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 23, 2017

I bought the speaker in April 2017 and installed SoundTouch then.  I think I have installed one software update since then (15.120.23 Protocol 59).  My first impression was that the problem was sovled, but it has recurred.  I have not tried using another device as I do not have an iPhone (only an Android phone) or an iPad.

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi again Paul.pharoah,

Thanks for the reply.  Can you try installing the SoundTouch app on your Android phone to see if it works or not?

Which SoundTouch system do you have?

It sounds like both Bluetooth and Wi-Fi are dropping.  When they stop working, are there any LED changes on the SoundTouch system?

Thanks,

Brandon

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 23, 2017

I have SoundTouch 30

I have installed SoundTouch on my Android 'phone and it connected fine (no way of it seeing my music library on my 'phone as far as I can tell).

However, SoundTouch installed on my computer fails to connect.  I get the "searching for speaker" and then "Hmmm, can't find any of your speakers...."

The speaker WiFi light is white.  I can still connect with my 'phone and I can press one of the presents and get internet radio, so it is definitely connected to the Wifi.  It is something about the SoundTouch software on the Mac.

I tried simply switiching off and unplugging the speaker then plugging in again, which usually works, but not this time.

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 23, 2017

So today I could not connect either Android 'phone or Macbook using Wifi.  I had to unplug speaker and power up and restart the computer.

Every time this happens the speaker is clearly linked to the WiFi because the preset internet radio always works.  It is a SoundTouch software isse.

Once the SoundTocuh app see the speaker I have no problems with it dropping.

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi paul.pharoah,

Thank you for providing this information. I'm sorry to hear that you are still experiencing this issue. Since the issue is happening on both devices now (Android phone and Macbook), I'm thinking this could potentially be network-related. Have you tried rebooting your router? If not, please try this. Simply unplug the router from power for about 30 seconds, then reconnect. Also, when you search for your home Wi-Fi network on your computer or mobile device, do you have only one network name appear? Or, do you have two separate networks that may look something like "my-network", and "my-network 5G"? Lastly, could you please provide us with the make and model of your router?

Please also try the troubleshooting steps listed here.

Thank you in advance for providing us with the additional details. This information will help us to proceed in the right direction to resolve your issue.

Best regards,

Brian

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 23, 2017

Thanks for working on this.

I have tried switching my router off and rebooting a couple of times.

I only have one newtowork option visible.

My router is a Ubee DVW32CB (supplied by Time Warner Cable).

I will be moving in 3 weeks and so will find out if the problem occurs with a completely different router.

It seems strange to me that the speaker has no trouble with connecting to the network.  It also seems strange that I cannot predict when there will be a problem.  Today I have been able to connect without any issues.  On the troubleshooting I have tried everything except: "On a dual band router, determine if the 802.11n and 802.11g networks have the same network name. If both networks have the same SSID, try disabling the 802.11n (5 GHz) network to see if the SSID conflict is preventing the system from connecting." because I do not know how to do that.

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hello Paul.Pharoah,

Thank you for this information. I've done a bit of research on your router, and it appears that this is, in fact, a dual-band router. Since you mentioned that you only have one network that shows up as available on your devices, I have a hunch that your router is broadcasting both a 2.5GHz and 5GHz frequency network, and they both share the same name (SSID). When this happens, your devices only see one network, but could actually be auto-hopping between the two different networks without your knowledge. This is fine for many devices, but for devices that primarily stream media (such as SoundTouch speakers), this can cause issues similar to what you have described. 

The easiest solution to this issue would be to rename one of the networks within your router's settings. A common practice is to simply add "5G" to the end of the 5GHz network name (SSID). 

Here is a link to your router's owners manual. Instructions on accessing your router's settings start at section 3.1.

If you need further assistance finding and adjusting the SSID or network names, I'd recommend reaching out to your Internet Service Provider. 

I understand that you will be using a new router within the next few weeks anyway. But, if you end up experiencing a similar issue, it may be worth going through these steps. 

Let us know your results!

Best regards,

Brian