Intermittent Soundtouch 4203 Errors Since Recent Updates
I have one Soundtouch 20 and two Soundtouch 10 speakers which I have had no major issue with over the last 12 months or so HOWEVER there was a forced update of the Apps and Speakers recently and since this update I have had nothing but issues. Some or even all of the speakers are randomly not connecting but may show on the App on my iphone as connected but then not on the App on my PC where my music collection is stored and vica versa.
My PC is hardwired to my Wireless router but intermittently I can not see my music collection and have been getting a variation of error messages as a result. As a result I have been in a constant cycle since these updates of having to keep rebooting my PC, re starting my Wireless router, removing and re adding speakers just to even get Internet radio to play.
Sometimes I can then get my Music Library recognised but not always. Strangely though when I can get an album to play from my Music Library more often than not after about 10 minutes the music stops randomly and I then get a 4203 error but not always. Sometimes I can wait a short while and try again and I can play from my Music Library but more often than not I have to reboot either my PC (Muisc Library) or my router to get anything to play.
I have disabled the Windows Firewall, which doesnt appear to have made any difference and I have also tried removing and re adding the Music Library on my PC, which I have done several times, as well as removing all the speakers and re adding them numerous times. Please can someone advise or help because I am close to giving up on these speakers.