Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jun 16, 2017

Intermittent / crackling sound soundtouch 300 (and its turning my TV off)

Hi Bose Community!

I'm experiencing quite a few problems with my soundtouch 300, I have had it for 2 months now and no matter what device I use the soundtouch isnt playing ball. I have tried turning it off and on again / unplugging everything and waiting / running through setup on countless occasions. The only time the soundbar works perfectly is when I listen to music using the app. However I dont use that, I have an Amazon echo because the soundtouch doesnt support amazon or apple music! When I play PS4 or watch Virgin Media / Amazon Video / BBC iPlayer etc... I dont have a good experience with the soundbar at all.

My setup is as follows:

Bose soundtouch 300 linked to Samsung UE55KU6000 TV via HDMI (ARC)

Virgin media box linked to Samsung UE55KU6000 TV via HDMI and linked to 200mb broadband via ethernet

PS4 linked to UE55KU6000 TV via HDMI and linked to 200mb broadband via ethernet

The problems I am facing are as follows:

1 - When I play my PS4 the sound turns on / off intermittently every 10 to 15 seconds (sound off lasts 2 to 5 seconds)

2 - When I play my PS4 using headphones the soundbar is not producing audio (as I expect), the soundbar turns my TV off every 10 minutes (presumably because there is a sleep timer? which I cant amend in the settings...). 

3 - When I switch to Virgin Media after using my PS4 the soundbar emits a horrible popping / cracking sound. I need to power off all of my devices and switch back on.

4 - When I watch Virgin Media without having accessed my PS4 there is a faint, inconsistent popping / cracking sound.

Overall I've rarely had an experience where I can enjoy the amazing sound that this soundbar is capable of. Its really frustrating.

Any guidance would be most appreciated.

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jun 16, 2017

Re: Intermittent / crackling sound soundtouch 300 (and its turning my TV off)

Can I have a possible solution off a moderator please?

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hello nelo2309, 

Sorry to hear about the experience you've had so far. From what you've reported, it sounds like all of the issues you experiencing, could be Consumer Electronics Control (CEC) related. To be sure, we should test connecting the SoundTouch 300 to your TV via a digital optical cable. If all of these issues stop, then we can be sure it is HDMI/CEC related. If the issue continues, then we will know to troubleshoot elsewhere. If possible, please try connecting the soundbar to your TV via a digital optical cable, and remove the HDMI/ARC connection. Report back to us with your results. 

Also, for Playstation 4: In the PS4 settings menu under "Video Playback Settings", change the "Output at 1080p/24Hz" option from "Automatic" to "Off" to avoid flickering/intermittent video. 

If we determine that the issue is CEC related when using the HDMI/ARC connection, try the following steps (first reconnect the HDMI/ARC cable, and remove the digital optical):

• Locate the HDMI-CEC setting for the SoundTouch 300 in the SoundTouch app. 
  • In the SoundTouch app, select Menu > Settings > Speaker Settings > [select the system] > Advanced Setup > HDMI-CEC. 
  • To change the current setting, select the empty circle next to the preferred option
    • Default On Enables CEC 
    • Alternate On: Prevents unintended source switching and may fix CEC inconsistencies 
    • Off: Disables CEC 
  • Choose Alternate On, and see if this helps. 

Let us know how this goes!

Best Regards

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jun 16, 2017

Hi Brian,

Thank you for the reply, the issue with the PS4 is resolved.

I have tried the optical cable for a couple of days and there is still a slight crackle, but it is significantly reduced. I have had 0 instances of intermittent sound with the optical cable also. I would determine that the main issue is HDMI related. I'd like to resolve this as one of the reasons for buying the soundbar was HDMI ARC capability (and the benefits it brings vs optical).

I have tried to switch the settings to Alternate on and it doesnt do anything to improve the issue.

What are the next steps to resolve this issue?

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

May 16, 2016

Hi nelo2309, 

Can we try to make the ARC connection again, but this time with a different HDMI cable to see if the fault may lie within the cable itself? Can you also try to unplug your TV as well as the soundbar from power for 30 seconds to see if this is corrected by a reset? Is your  TV up to date with the latest software rev? If not, can you try to update the TV to see if it helps?

Thank you 

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jun 16, 2017

Hi Bose Team,

I've had this product for 3 months now and although the crackling sound has gone i'm still facing repeat issues.

My issues now are:

> I have used 3 HDMI leads to date. My TV is blacking out for 2 to 3 seconds at a time every minute or so.

> Often the TV does not recognise the bose speaker at all, I realise this when the bose speaker turns off all of my devices after 10/15 minutes because its not in use... the only way I can watch any television for a prolongued period of time is by unplugging the bose device altogether, making it a very expensive paper weight.

> It does work better with optical cable, but whats the point in spending £600 on a soundbar that only works with an optical cable, i'd rather have my money back.

I have other bose products, and have used bose products all of my life without any issue. The quality has always been excellent. This one however has caused me nothing but trouble, which is even more frustrating given the price I have paid.

Surely my only resolution is via warranty replacement? I'm constantly met with repeat and different errors at every avenue.

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi nelo2309,

I'm sorry to hear you are experiencing this issue. I can definitely understand the frustration. I'd be happy to see what we can do to help. 

First, have you already tried adjusting the SoundTouch 300's CEC settings as posted earlier in this thread?

Next, could you please try a full system HDMI reset? Disconnect power from your TV and soundbar. Also, disconnect the HDMI cable connecting the TV to the soundbar, from both ends. Disconnect power from any other source device connected to your soundbar. Also, disconnect it's HDMI cable from both ends. After at least 1 minute, reconnect the HDMI cables, then reconnect power to the TV, soundbar and any other source devices. Retest the system.

Let us know if anything changes!

Best regards,

Brian