Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 16, 2016

Internet radio drops intermittently

Hi

I am trying to listen to BBC Radio 6 Music and BBC Radio 4 on the internet radio stream. In the past these have worked reasonably well but over the last two days both stations have dropped out for a second or two at a time, every few minutes. I don't think it's my set up as I can listen to the same stations on TuneIn on the same speakers without problems. Is there an issue with the radio service? 

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 15, 2016

Re: Internet radio drops intermittently

Hello ViscountFishpond!

Thank you for writing in. Are you getting an error message when it drops out? "1011" by any chance? Usually, you can go to vtuner.com from a computer to see if radio stations are working well. 

Let me know if this helps!

Mohsin - Community Support

Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 16, 2016

Mohsin

Thanks for the reply. I don't get an error message. The audio just drops for a few moments. It seems to be intermittent: it doesn't happen all the time. It has though started dropping the audio on the secondary speaker in a group on other streams. Spotify for example. I don't know if this is related but suspect not. The speaker will drop out when first connecting three times then drop at the start of each track. Router is a Virgin Media Smart Hub 3. the signal strength on each speaker is "good". 

Kevin

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the info. 

If the streams on TuneIn seem to be working more reliably, I'd use them for the time being.

You report that you're also having an issue with Spotify cutting out as well?  Can we try moving your SoundTouch system closer to the Smart Hub to determine if range/interference is causing this problem?

Do the Spotify dropouts coincide with the BBC Radio 4 & 6 dropouts?

Best,

Brandon

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 16, 2016

Brandon

It's hard to say if spotify and radio drop outs coincide as I haven't run them simultaneously but the behaviour seems different. There is a pattern to the spotify dropouts: start of a new song usually. Radio streams seem more random.

One of my speakers is about 2.5 m from the router with a clear line of sight and no other wifi devices between it so I don't think moving it would help much. Signal strength on both ST10s is 'good' today with the 6 music stream dropping occasionally although one speaker - the closest and clearest line, has just dropped to 'poor' briefly.  Given the close proximity I'm surprised I'm not seeing better than 'good'.

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Thank you for the follow-up.

Do you know if your systems are 2.4 and 5 GHz network compatible?  It sounds like there may be a bit of interference in your area, which can absolutely cause this issue.  It also looks like the Smart Hub 3 has 5 GHz functionality, so with any luck it has already been enabled.

Best,

Brandon

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 16, 2016

Hi Brandon

The hub has a combined 2.4 and 5 GHz SSID. All devices are connected to the 5GHz channel.

Regards

Kevin