cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
blueshoo
Participant
Registered since

Jun 21, 2019

Is it possible to have extension wireless speakers that will play simultaneously with my ST20 system

I have the Bose ST20 and was wondering if I could add extension speakers from Bose to play in the same room ala stereo or even 3.1 / 5.1?  TIA

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Liam_W
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Feb 26, 2019

Re: Is it possible to have extension wireless speakers that will play simultaneously with my ST20...

Bose Best Answer selected by Moderator Jessie_O

Hi again @blueshoo

Using the Wi-Fi function of SoundTouch, it would be possible to play the same volume to other SoundTouch speakers on the network in sync, although these will not play in the 3.1 or 5.1 format that you are after here.

This is done using the "Group Speakers" function of the SoundTouch app. When grouped on Wi-Fi, this will re-broadcast the audio from the original speaker to the other SoundTouch speakers, provided these are still connected to the same Wi-Fi network.

An example of this setup would be having 3x SoundTouch 20 Speakers ("Bedroom", "Living Room" and "Kitchen") all setup on your Wi-Fi. When in group mode, you could use a Wi-Fi, AUX or Bluetooth input to the "Bedroom speaker", and this would rebroadcast through Wi-Fi to play the same audio in the "Living Room" and "Kitchen" speakers.

I hope this answers your query, and please get back to me with further questions/if you would like further clarification!

Liam W

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Liam_W
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Feb 26, 2019

Re: Is it possible to have extension wireless speakers that will play simultaneously with my ST20...

Hi @blueshoo , and welcome to the Community!

All 3 series of the SoundTouch 20 Speakers are independent line speakers, and are not designed to be setup for 3.1 or 5.1 sound. These play 2.0 stereo surround sound by default, unless the source of audio is mono, in which case it will play the audio in this format.

When connected to Wi-Fi and grouped together, these speakers will play the same audio, and are not designed for directional 3.1 or 5.1 surround sound inputs.

If you're after 3.1 or 5.1 sound, my suggestion would be to look at our home-theatre range of products, such as the Soundbar 500 with accessory speakers, or the Acoustimass 10 series V system. If all speakers are used, the Soundbar 500 would play the front 3 channels with the Surround Speakers playing rear-left and rear-right. When used with an amplifier/receiver, the Acoustimass 10 V would play each channel through a single speaker, allowing you to move your front, front-left and front-right speakers more flexibly than with the Soundbar 500.

I hope this helps, and please get back to me with any questions!

Liam W - Community Support

blueshoo
Participant
Registered since

Jun 21, 2019

basically, I was just looking for a way to extend speakers into another room from my ST20.  Is that possible?

Liam_W
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Feb 26, 2019

Bose Best Answer selected by Moderator Jessie_O

Hi again @blueshoo

Using the Wi-Fi function of SoundTouch, it would be possible to play the same volume to other SoundTouch speakers on the network in sync, although these will not play in the 3.1 or 5.1 format that you are after here.

This is done using the "Group Speakers" function of the SoundTouch app. When grouped on Wi-Fi, this will re-broadcast the audio from the original speaker to the other SoundTouch speakers, provided these are still connected to the same Wi-Fi network.

An example of this setup would be having 3x SoundTouch 20 Speakers ("Bedroom", "Living Room" and "Kitchen") all setup on your Wi-Fi. When in group mode, you could use a Wi-Fi, AUX or Bluetooth input to the "Bedroom speaker", and this would rebroadcast through Wi-Fi to play the same audio in the "Living Room" and "Kitchen" speakers.

I hope this answers your query, and please get back to me with further questions/if you would like further clarification!

Liam W

View solution in original post