Highlighted
lostinqueens
Silent Starter
Registered since

Mar 2, 2019

Is there a work around to playing a high definition m4a file on a Bose Soundtouch 30?

I think the bit rate on my m4a files are too high for Bose to handle. I have an m4a file on a Synology NAS with a sample rate of 44 100 Hz and a bitrate of 40kbps (as per Media Monkey). My Bose Soundtouch 30 sees the file but can't play it. I'm assuming the sample rate and bit rate are too high.

Does anyone know if there's a work around to this issue using the Synology without playing the track on a different network device and then streaming via Bluetooth?

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Feb 26, 2019

Re: Is there a work around to playing a high definition m4a file on a Bose Soundtouch 30?

Hi lostinqueens,

Thank you for reaching out. Hopefully we can work together to resolve this issue.

Its interesting as the Soundtouch 30 supports .m4a file format. So what i would like you to try if you can and know how to, is convert one song to a lower sample/bit rate. Put it back on the NAS and see whether it can be played. This will allow us to see whether the sample/bit rate is too high.

I would be interested to see the results. Keep us up to date.

Kind Regards,

Brandon_C

lostinqueens
Silent Starter
Registered since

Mar 2, 2019

Re: Is there a work around to playing a high definition m4a file on a Bose Soundtouch 30?

Brandon_C,

Thanks for the response. I converted all music to WMA 64kbps files and everything works as expected. It's a bit disappointing that high defintion m4a files cannot be played on the Soundtouch 30 but I have a workaround for now.

Thanks for your help.

Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Feb 26, 2019

I see. I will further look into this for you and get back to you if I have any updates. Please do the same if you manage to get this working. It will be helpful to know what the issue is with this.

Kind Regards,

Brandon_C