Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Dec 26, 2017

Issue playing internet radio streams

Hi, I'm new here! Smiley Happy

I have both a Soundtouch 20 III and a Soundtouch 30 III. I mostly use these devices to play internet radio streams. In general this works just fine, but sometimes I experience problems starting a stream. When this happens, it usually is the case on all of my presets and on both the '20 and the '30. It connects and then immediately shows the stop icon (square) on the display.

The stream itself is not the issue though, as I can start it right away on my tablet. Cold starting the Soundtouch does not help. The only thing left to do is wait and try again a little later.

Both devices are connected over wifi using an Apple Airport Extreme router.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Re: Issue playing internet radio streams

Author Accepted Answer selected by MarcV

Hello all, 

Thank you for your posts. A firmware update that addresses the DHCP lease time issue was released today. Details can be found here. Please try updating your system(s) by opening the SoundTouch app, selecting the speaker at the bottom of the screen, and selecting the option to update. If you own multiple speakers, please repeat this step with each speaker by swiping left or right, once the device tray is open in the app. 

Please let us know if this helps!

Best regards,

Brian - Bose Support

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Dec 26, 2017

Hi 

I'm having the exact same problem on my soundtouch 20. I think it might be the latest firmware update. Is it even possible to degrade to a previous update? 

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

May 16, 2016

Hi MarcV, 

Welcome to the community! The first thing I'd check is the signal strength going to your systems. Here is the procedure to do so:

In the SoundTouch app, choose the menu icon in the upper left
Choose "Settings" -> About"
Select the desired system to view that system's information. Signal strength is listed as "RSSI Signal Strength"

If the systems are showing less than ideal signal, THIS article can help. Curiously, does it only happen when you play to both systems in tandem or does it also happen when playing to a single system? Which stations to you notice this with? Please let us know. 

Hi charly3950,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing this. Same questions to you. Can you check your signal strength? Does it always happen with the same stations? Did this occur after the last update? Let us know. Unfortunately we don't have a good way to downgrade.

Kind Regards

Brent - Bose Support

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Dec 26, 2017

Hello Brent,

Thanks for your reply!

I have the Soundtouch 20 in the kitchen and the Soundtouch 30 is located in the living room. The '30 is very close to the router and indicates GREAT signal strength. The one in the kitchen only has FAIR signal strength. However, both have the issue. The issue is not the playing but getting the stream to start. And when the issue is there, it's usually there on all presets from unrelated stations. But once I can get it to play, it keeps on playing forever without issues.

I don't think it is related to the two devices playing together or not.

Regards - Marc

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi Marc,

Thanks for the info.

Have you tried a power cycle on the Airport Extreme?  If you could, unplug the power on the router for 30 seconds, along with your SoundTouch devices, plug back in, and retest.

I'm also guessing that when you have trouble playing radio stations on the SoundTouch systems, you're not also having general internet issues with other devices, correct?

Best,

Brandon - Bose Support

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Dec 26, 2017

Today I haven't had any issues. I now have connected the '30 directly to the router via a ethernet cable to avoid excess wifi load when playing grouped with the '20. I have the impression that the '30 is now faster in connecting to the stream. We'll see how it turns out Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

May 16, 2016

Hi MarcV, 

Thank you for the update! Please keep us posted. 

Kind Regards

Brent - Bose Support

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Dec 26, 2017

No more issues with the Soundtouch connected via ethernet. The other one connected via wifi still encounters problems but I'm now only using this one as a slave.

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi there Marc,

That's good to hear, thanks for the update.

Best,

Brandon - Bose Support

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Dec 26, 2017

Well, this morning it happened again, with the speaker connected via an ethernet cable, so the wifi has nothing to do with it. None of the presets wanted to start playing. It connects ot the stream (or so it seems) and then directly shows the STOP symbol (white square) on the display. Pushing the pauze/play button on the remote does not make it start...