Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Oct 25, 2016

January Update

This update didn't fix anything for me. It became even worse. Drop outs, speakers disappear! All speakers worked well before the december update - what happened!

Since then I am doing nothing but changing router's config, lease time fixed ip, 2,4GHz, turn speakers on of, make resets, update a.s.o. what else can I do? Buy other ones that are working? Can you please make your systems working continuosly again!

15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Dec 18, 2017

Re: January Update

Same here, didn't fix anything, the IOS App is seriously broke. 2 Soundtouch 10's worked perfectly for a year, also installed a Soundtouch 30 at christmas. Since December, nothing but problems.

All iPhones in the house cannot see speakers. Have to close/re-open the App many times for them to be seen then suddenly they appear. Sometimes App finds one speaker, on closing and re-opening the App it finds a different one, or two, or none with no pattern.

Having to go round and turn them on with the remote atm. The app is next to useless.

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi norbie3 and Mark_S,

Thank you for your posts and providing this feedback. I'm sorry to hear that the latest update didn't resolve your issues. I understand that you both may have tried some of the following steps, but I'm going to provide a complete list of troubleshooting steps we should try (for you, and any others that may read this thread) if the update didn't seem to resolve the issue. 

1. Reboot your router and SoundTouch system(s)
    • Disconnect the power cords for 1 minute before reconnecting (router and SoundTouch systems). 
    • If you have a series I or II SoundTouch Portable, 20, or 30, you can reset by holding the AUX button on the SoundTouch system for 10 seconds. 
  2. If you have a dual-band router, ensure that each band has a separate SSID (network name).
    • Within your router settings, check to see if the 2.4GHz and 5GHz network bands are sharing the same network name. If so, change one or both. A common practice would be to simply add "5g" at the end of the 5GHz network name. 
    • Reboot your router after making this change.
    • Ensure that both your mobile device and SoundTouch systems are connected to the same network. 
  3. Check your system(s) RSSI (signal strength)
    • In the SoundTouch app, choose the menu icon in the upper left.
    • Choose "Settings" -> About"
    • Select the desired system to view that system's information. Signal strength is listed as "RSSI Signal Strength"
    • Ideally, you should see GOOD or GREAT. If you don't see either of these indications, you may want to consider moving the system closer to your router or connecting via Ethernet if your SoundTouch system allows. 
  4. Remove and re-add your SoundTouch system(s) to your SoundTouch account
    • Open the SoundTouch app
    • Select the menu icon in the top-left corner
    • Select Settings
    • Select Speaker Settings
    • Select your Speaker
    • Select REMOVE and confirm by selecting REMOVE again
    • Select ADD SPEAKER on the next screen that appears
      • If this doesn't appear, navigate back to the Menu > Settings> Add or Reconnect Speaker
    • Select "Speaker already connected to network"
    • Select the speaker and follow the remaining on-screen instructions to complete setup.
    • Repeat the above steps for any additional SoundTouch speakers. 
  5. Uninstall and reinstall the SoundTouch app
    • Download links can be found here
  6. If possible, connect your SoundTouch systems to the 5GHz network band, to avoid wireless interference on the 2.4GHz band.
    • Wireless interference is far more common in the 2.4GHz band as opposed to 5GHz. If you have a newer SoundTouch system that allows a connection to the 5GHz band (e.g. SoundTouch 10, 20III,30III, SoundTouch 300, LS600/650, SA5, etc.) but is currently connected to the 2.4GHz band, try switching over to 5GHz. The following factory-default steps should be used to reset the system's network connection. 
  7. Factory-default your system and re-add it to your SoundTouch account. 
    • Factory-default instructions can vary from one system to the next. For systems with the 6 preset buttons located on the top, you can hold Volume - and 1 simultaneously for 10 seconds. For other systems, please see our support page. Locate your product, and navigate to the appropriate factory reset instructions for your system. 
    • Steps to re-add your system can be found here

Please try the above troubleshooting, and let us know the result of each step. If you are still experiencing difficulties after going through the above steps, we request that you provide us with the following information:

• Is this happening on all devices using the SoundTouch app, or just one or a couple in particular?
    • Please list the make, model, and operating system (w/ version number) of any devices running the SoundTouch app that are experiencing the issue
    • Also, list the above device information for any devices that ARE NOT experiencing the issue
  • Please provide the make and model of your router.
  • Are you using any Wi-FI extenders, repeaters, or any other network Access Points? If so, please provide the make and model of any such devices.
  • Your SoundTouch system(s) software version. Please list the version of all SoundTouch devices.
    • Instructions for finding this information can be found here

Thank you,

Brian - Bose Support

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Oct 25, 2016

Hi Brian,

thanks  a lot for this extended explanations and configuration hints.  Most of them I have already implemented. The basic system seems to work stable now. But I still have issues with a stereo paired set of ST10. These are still droping of the network time by time. Sometimes recover sometimes  go off and needs to switched on again. The signal strenght is medium to good like the others are. Since I use now a powerlan wifi-repeater to extend the wifi signal, even those two didn't have any drop outs any more. So for me it is ok, although I know that the system had worked very well in the past without any repeater. Sorry for my harsh criticism in the past!

Norbert

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 20, 2017

OK, so I followed the Troubleshooting directions exactly -  it took me 25 minutes to go thru the steps recommended. 

My pair of SoundTouch 10 speakers are now playing in stereo, connected to an Asus RT-AC87R router on the 2.4 GHz band, and playing  over Bluetooth to an iPad Air 2, playing my iTunes library. 

Now this has happened before but after a day, the speakers would not be available and I have had to go through the setup steps over and over.  So let's see if they are going to stay installed.

This a summary of what i did and what I saw...

I turned off power to speaker for hours, re-booted router, and removed speakers from SoundTouch app with power to speakers off. The speakers were not listed in the router's client list.

Turned power on to speakers and the speakers appeared in the router's client list. The iPad Air 2 also appeared in the router's client list in the same band - 2.4GHz.

When I turned on SoundTouch app, the app displayed "Searching for Speakers" for 5 minutes.So I eventually clicked on "Add Speaker" - and I clicked on Bluetooth  as prompted.

The system then displayed an option to connect speakers by Wifi or Ethernet or "already connected to network" -- I selected "already connected" and both speakers appeared. (This is the first time I have seen this display -- in the past, when I went thru the configuration to re-install the speakers, the speakers would never appear when I tried "already connected" -- even though they were listed on the router's client list.)

I selected both speakers (they had the same names I had given them in the past), and I was given an option to name them. I kept the same name.

Then an option to update both speakers appeared. I selected UPDATE ALL.

An updating message appeared. At some point, the message changed to "give us a minute to find your speaker" but eventually, it changed to 'speaker is ready to play" (this took about five minutes). But it was just one speaker. I selected that speaker and under it was an option to create a pair. I then was able to walk thru the steps to create a pair.

Now I was ready to play, so I turned on Bluetooth. When I went to my iPad's Bluetooth setting, at first I thought there was a problem because it did not display the name of the pair. It displayed only the name of one speaker (EAST, the left speaker). I waited but no other names appeared, so I selected it and it is now playing as a pair.

So far so good. It's now 7:32 pm EST, January 22. I will report back again tomorrow.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 20, 2017

It's now 30 hours after the update was installed -- as I reported in my last post. This morning, the speakers are online. I was able to activate them simply by going to the iPad Bluetooth setting and connecting. Music played from iTunes played perfectly.

The router list shows the speakers how an "access time" of over 30 hours.

That's an improvement. I'll try and report back again tomorrow.

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi gvenditto,

Thank you for updating us with all the details.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Regards,

Joel - Bose Support

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 20, 2017

More than 3 days later and the pair of speakers is still available thru Bluetooth. 

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 20, 2017

a full week now and it has not failed to play as a pair. I don' t even need to open the soundtouch app.  the speakers are just ready when I look at the iPad's Bluetooth list. I was even able to unplug one of the speakers and move it to a new location in the house without causing a problem.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jan 9, 2018

Brian_M -

I, too, have experienced continual problems keeping the ios app connected to the ST.  I have two iPhones (5s and 6) running the latest app, and I also run the MacOS app version on my MacBook Pro.  The MacOS version is reasonable reliable, although it has lost its connect once or twice.  The iOS versions are utterly flakey.  (Note that the ST never loses connection to the sources, LAN or internet.  It's just the app <--> ST that fails.)

I have been through all the suggestions provided in your post several times.  They do not fix the problem.

I have made several posts on another thread that give my system hardware and software details.

Needless to say, this is a huge blot on an otherwise excellent product.