robfyfe
Silent Starter
Registered since

Nov 23, 2015

June 2016 Updates have broken Spotify <==> SoundTouch integration

Has anybody else had problems with SoundTouch integration with Spotify since the latest SoundTouch & forware updates in early June.  Prior to these updates, I have been using Spotify without a problem from both the SoundTouch and Spotify apps to play music on my Lifestyle 525, SA-5 and SoundTouch 30 (series III); however, immediately after being forced to take this update I have been seeing problems.  I am able to play from a Spotify stream, it will happily play one song, but, at the end of that song it appears to lose connection to the device.  The SoundTouch app crashes with error "Unable to play selection, please try again later (3103)" after showing a spinner for several seconds.  If I play directly from the native Spotify app I see the exact same problem, there is no error using the Spotify app, it simply stops playing.  The spotify or SoundTouch apps then needs to be forcibly killed and restarted before they will play anything from Spotify; even after that it will only play one song then crash with the same error.  This is 100% reproducable on all three of my devices.  Spotify works fine over BlueTooth, just not WiFi.  Deezer is working perfectly using WiFi.  I only upgraded my Deezer subscription because of these issues as Spotify has been rendered useless since the update.  
I also rang the Australian tech support line and their advice was 2-fold; 1) turn off the power at the wall and leave the devices for 5 minutes, then turn them back on.  2) Re-install the sound touch app.  I had already tried both of these actions and neither had any impact.  This is not the first time I have had problems integrating Spotify and SoundTouch devices and it only takes a quick google search to see that lots of people are having the same sorts problems.  I have also personally raised several support issues with SoundTouch to try and get other Spotify issues resolved.  It's very disappointing as the hardware is sold claiming fantastic support of Spotify...but this does not appear to be true.  I would love to know if anyone else is having problems since the June 2016 updates.  Bose, is there any action I can take to rollback or get another update as Spotify was working perfectly before the update and was broken immediately afterwards.  I would prefer to use Spotify than Deezer because I can use the native app, rather that the SoundTouch app as the feature set is poor in comparison.  Thanks for any help or ideas!
10 REPLIES 10
JoergGD
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 21, 2015

Re: June 2016 Updates have broken Spotify <==> SoundTouch integration

Hi there, had the same issue. Run ST130 and ST20 together with Spotify. All the sudden Music stucks and did not come back. Recoverd again on St130 but I had to add again the ST20 into my home network. Did not run Spotify again since that...
Highlighted

Robfyfe & Grodu55
After the last update, all users will need to remove and re-add any Spotify account that was previously connected. While the software should have prompted you for this procedure automatically, we can also perform it manually. 
To do this: Open the SoundTouch app and choose: EXPLORE > SETTINGS > MUSIC SERVICE > SPOTIFY > > REMOVE
Once removed, choose the button to add a new account.
Please try this out and let us know if you continue to have trouble with Spotify playback within the SoundTouch app. Thank you.
robfyfe
Silent Starter
Registered since

Nov 23, 2015

Hi George, thanks for your help.  I tried your advice but it did not work.  The problem persists.  I'm having the most trouble with the ST30, which I can 100% reproduce the problem on.  Before trying the fix you suggested, my Lifestyle 525 and SA-5 units starting working "some of the time" (i.e., before removing and re-adding Spotify via the SoundTouch app)  However, I still see problems on them, it's not as consistent as on the ST30 which always happens after 1-2 songs play.  When it tries to skip to the next song in a playlist/album it shows the spinner on the ST30 and the ST app.  It appears as though the hardware cannot communicate with Spotify and eventually it times out, the SoundTouch app still reports error 3103 after some time showing a spinner icon (approx 60 seconds).
It's worth noting that if I explicitly skip songs it seems to work OK (although it can be very slow to change between the songs).  It's also worth noting that all other music sources are working perfectly, including Deezer streaming across the same network.
Just as a side question George, what bit rate does the SoundTouch app stream Deezer?  The Spotify music source config (within the ST app) has three music quality settings to choose from, but the Deezer connection has no choice.  Can you please tell me what bitrate it's streaming at?
Thanks for your help as I am desperate to get this working again as I use my systems all the time and at the moment I cannot use Spotify.  Just to confirm, this definitely stopped working immediately after the June update, I was using my systems earlier that same day without any problems, once the update kicked in Spotify was rendered useless.
Thanks for your continued support.
Community Manager

Rob - To answer your question, Deezer streams to our systems at 320Kbps but doesn't have the ability to customize the quality in the way that Spotify does.  
Apologies if this has already been attempted but have you tried to recreate the issue on the 30 by temporarily hard wiring it to your router with Ethernet?  If a system is on the edge of solid a solid wireless connection it can cause a timeout when connecting to Spotify especially when changing tracks. 
You can check the wireless strength on the 30 from within the application by going to Explore > Settings > About > RSSI Signal Strength.
If it's showing anything other than Excellent or Good try relocating it closer to the router or wiring it directly and test it again.
If the issue isn't related to the wireless strength, could you send us an email to technical-support@bose.com so we can assist further?  We'll likely want to collect event logs from the system to review and hopefully determine the cause. 
betordz
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jun 24, 2016

Hello robfyfe,
Were you able to fix the issue? I'm facing something similar.
Regards!
robfyfe
Silent Starter
Registered since

Nov 23, 2015

Hi betordz, No, I was not able to fix the issue.  The only advice I was given from Bose tech support was that it was network issues.  I diagnosed the netork before even raising the tech support issue as obviously that was my first thought.  The problem was not the network, and was never the network.  Sporify works just find on the same network on other devices, just not ST.  I have had constant problems with Bose ST and Spotify integration since my date of purchase (about 10 months ago).  I have seen problems on all three of my Bose ST devices (SA-5, Lifestyle 525, ST 30) with Spotify.  The problem generally manifests in one of two ways: 1) Stop/starting when a song is playing; 2) Song will not play after previous song ending (stalls and eventually needs restarting);  The problems are intermittent and I have had several open support issues with Bose and Spotify.  None of the issues were ever resolved and I eventually concluded that ST <=> Spotify integration was not actually supported as claimed.  After making that decision I switched to Deezer.  I have not had one problem with Deezer integration and I have been using it for about two months now.  There are several free online services to convert your Spotify playlists to Deezer. (e.g., http://spotizr.com/)
Cheers, Rob.
damianb
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Aug 1, 2015

I am still having the same issues with Spotify.
After fully resetting my network and ll devices on it, it seemed to sort itself, but the problme has returned.
I can only play 1 song before the connection drops out.  Pandora and Deezer work fine.
Has anyone been able to sort out the problem?
robfyfe
Silent Starter
Registered since

Nov 23, 2015

Hello damanb, I have not tried to use Spotify since switching to Deezer.  Your post was interesting timing as I had heard that serveral good updates were made to the Spotify mobile app and I was thinking of giving it another go,..until I saw your post.  Just out of interest, did you get any support from Bose or Spotify to get the issue resolved?  As I said in my earlier posts, since the day I purchased the Bose systems I had nothing but trouble with the Spotify integration.  There have been several problems from minor (volume not working, add to queue not working) to major (pausing every two seconds or simply not playing a song after one finishes).  The only advice I ever get from either Bose or Spotify is that it is my network.  I work in I.T and I have done several LAN and WAN line speed tests and it's definitely not the network.  I would be curious to know whether you've had any success or support with this issue.  I hope you can get it sorted.
I will add that since switching to Deezer I have not had a single problem, not once...and that streams at 320kbps.
Cheers, Rob.
Sita
Silent Starter
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

I am still having the exact same problems sith ST and spotify and my itunes music. It looks like you guys at ST are not finding the solution....too bad