Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 2, 2017

Re: KEEP SOUNDTOUCH 10 "ALWAYS ON"

I stand corrected.  However it appeared to stay on much longer than the 20 minutes or so it would only stay on for before I executed the command. This morning when I woke up it was in sleep mode.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Apr 8, 2018

I will try this tomorrow. If it didn't work I too will be returning my newly purchased SoundTouch 10 in lieu of the Beats Pill which I know will stay on.
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 2, 2017

I thought I would try this again.  Same thing it doesnt work.  How can this work for some but not for all? I am even including a screen capture of the same results everyone else got.  1st try it cant find the command.  Second try it says its disabled.  Are there other commands that can be used this way?  

Bose.PNG

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 5, 2017

I tested a ST10 and that command does not disable the time out feature as it does with the ST20 and ST30.  There is another post where I mentioned it but there are a lot of similar posts.

Unless you can get the developers to enable this command it is not going to work. It also doesn't work on the 300 soundbar.  The operating system appears to be the same for each of these unit types and the command appears to work on all the hardware types.  It appears to me that some of the firmware/hardware versions just don't use that setting to determine how long before it shuts down.

I am amazed that there is so much interest in this met with a blackout of communication from the site mods,  especially considering how easy of of fix this could be.  But it likely would require to be a small change in the firmware that you would think they could add and test with a future update.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 2, 2017

Bissettb

Your test gave the same results mine did.  However several people on this thread have confirmed that it worked for them with the Soundtouch 10.  I am trying to understand what the differences are. 

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 5, 2017

I hope that you are correct and I'll monitor this for any reply on this and other threads.  I am not convinced the command is working with current the current firmware revision for the ST10.  I would love to be wrong and given an additional step to implement it.

Thanks

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 24, 2018

The inability of the Soundtouch 10 to keep the aux on permanently is really maddening if you enjoy the Alexa multiroom music function which REQUIRES your speakers to stay in aux mode.  And before anyone says to just use the Bose Soundtouch app to play multiple Bose speakers at the same time, don't.  The Bose Soundtouch app was garbage when it first came out and remains garbage.  I've been a loyal Bose customer for over 10 years and keep having nothing but issues with Bose products...e.g., (1) my second gen Sounddock became obsolete when the lightening pin came out on Apple iPhones (fixed that with a Coolstream Duo Bluetooth adapter and then a simple 3.5mm aux cable when I went full blown Alexa with one in every room of my house as Sounddocks stay in aux mode permanently), and (2) I purchased multiple first gen Soundtouch 30s which ended up not playing nice with Apple Airplay, didn't support Sirius XM initially on the lousy Soundtouch app and that ALSO wouldn't stay in aux mode (fixed that by dumping Apple iTunes, going Spotify, getting Alexa and THEN using the "hack" here - https://community.bose.com/t5/SoundTouch-Speakers/KEEP-SOUNDTOUCH-10-quot-ALWAYS-ON-quot/td-p/82156/... STUPIDLY, I bought a few Soundtouch10s THIS MONTH only to discover the aux mode will NOT stay on even with the foregoing hack which means I can't use Alexa multiroom function unless I manually switch every Soundtouch 10 to aux mode - not an elegant solution.  And it's still crickets from Bose re keeping the aux mode on permanently on Soundtouch 10s.  It shouldn't be this hard Bose, and it's BEYOND clear that Bose really doesn't care about its loyal customers. 

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 19, 2017

TAKROG

Bravo! I could not have stated the case better about the need for “ALWAYS ON AUX” functionality in the Bose SoundTouch 10.

Why Bose can’t - or won’t - correct this design defect (they call it an “enhancement”) continues to baffle me. 

Bose releases quarterly software/firmware updates. Many quarters have passed since I first asked about when this essential AUX function will be provided. 

BOSE DESIGN & PRODUCT MANAGEMENT!!

Listen to your LOYAL customers. Tell us YES, you’re going to provide ”ALWAYS ON AUX” functionality!  Tell us it WILL be, or is PLANNED to be, available with the Q1/Q2/Q3/Q4 YYYY update. Or, treat us like adults and tell us there ain’t no way in hell “ALWAYS ON AUX” functionality will ever be available. Just get off the dime and tell us one way or the other. 

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Apr 3, 2018

Icarus,

Since you are using an Alexa as your source plugged into the AUX, here's an alternative to having ST always on. Go to the Alexa App (under 'Skills') and enable the 'Bose SoundTouch Control' skill. I selected the AUX button on my speaker, then used these Alexa commands to play everywhere (my speaker name is 'Bar')...

"Alexa, ask Bose to turn on Bar"

"Alexa, play Kansas"

"Alexa, ask Bose to play everywhere"
"Alexa, ask Bose to turn off Bar"

This worked for me. Since you have Alexa speakers throughout the house, you can command the 'Bar' to turn on from anywhere in the house. It doesn't give you 'always on', but it does keep from using the ST app to turn on and get multiroom going. AND you can use the Alexa speakers you already have.

Let me know if this idea works for you.

Cheers!

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 24, 2018

Tunes247--

Appreciate your attempt to help, but your suggestion doesn't solve the problem.  If I want to use the multiroom function on Alexa to play music on ALL my Bose speakers at the same time, I shouldn't have to FIRST manually switch my SoundTouch10 speakers to aux mode via the Soundtouch app as you suggest, or push the aux button on the speakers themselves.  The SoundTouch 10 speakers should STAY in aux mode indefinitely once I put them in aux mode so I can simply tell Alexa to play music everywhere at any time I want.

Because the aux mode won't stay on indefinitely on my Soundtouch 10 speakers, this is what I'm forced to put up with...

Keep my Soundtouch 10 speakers connected to my Alexa echoes and dots via bluetooth so I can hear Alexa since bluetooth mode stays on indefinitely on Soundtouch 10 speakers.  BUT when I want to play music everywhere, I have to connect my dots and echoes to the Soundtouch 10 speakers via a 3.5mm cable AND then press the aux button on all of my Soundtouch 10s (OR use the Soundtouch app to put them in aux mode as you suggested) because the Alexa multiroom function ONLY works with aux connected speakers and not with Bluetooth connected speakers.  After I do all this, THEN and ONLY THEN can I finally verbally command my Alexa devices to play music everywhere.  These extra steps, all due to Bose Soundtouch 10 speakers' silly inability to stay in aux mode indefinitely, pretty much defeat the purpose of voice automation via Alexa. 

All that said, I do want to PROFUSELY thank whoever posted the telnet hack to keeping first gen Soundtouch 30s in aux mode indefinitely.  It works on my old Soundtouch 30s, but not for the new Soundtouch 10s I just bought.  Sadly, Bose doesn't seem to care.