takrog
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 24, 2018

Re: KEEP SOUNDTOUCH 10 "ALWAYS ON"

Icarus--

Thanks for Getting It!  So many people just don't.

tunes247
Collaborator
Registered since

Apr 3, 2018

Hi takrog,

Just to clarify, what I found was that I only need to press the AUX button on a single ST speaker once, EVER*** (not every time I want to use it). Then, the ST remembers that you were in AUX mode even though it enters standby, and the voice command "Alexa, ask Bose to turn on Bar" will turn the speaker on in AUX mode without another button press.

I also just discovered that I could ask any Dot in the house "Alexa, play Rolling Stones on Bar Dot" and it will play from the Dot connected to my ST via AUX in the Bar. Then, a separate command to start multiroom from AUX ("Alexa, ask Bose to play everywhere").

Then of course there's the energy savings in not keeping the speakers on when not in use or the need to use BT...

*** Not that I use the ST in this way, but when I tried it, a single AUX press was enough to get the setup working.
decarlod
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 2, 2017

Yes but it is unnecessary.  Its a simple request we are asking.  I bought the Alexa so I could ask it to just play music.  I bot the dot specifically so I can hear it out of a bose speaker. I select the Soundtouch 10 and have to deal with more tasks.  I am using a $20 jam plus I got at bed bath and beyond now and my soundtouch is just sitting there wasted money.  Great going bose 

tunes247
Collaborator
Registered since

Apr 3, 2018

Hi decarlod,

Fair point. I don't really use the wired to AUX setup personally. I was just experimenting. I play and control Alexa-sourced Music on ST using the Bose Alexa Smart Home Skill. It gets rid of the BT and cables; 100% wifi.

I use Amazon Music and Pandora primarily. Your mileage may vary. For example, Spotify is not supported.

D2008
Participant
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

D2008
Participant
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

Holy cow, folks! New update to Bose app, Bose SoundTouch, and Alexa. Now there is an Alexa skill to control SoundTouch and ask Alexa to play music on speaker x.

It will turn on the SoundTouch and start playing! You can also turn the speaker off.

Now for the bad news, it isn’t quite fleshed out all the way. When you make a group in Alexa app off all your speakers, she can’t play to the group and asks you to set them up as multiroom. Alas! When you try to set up multi room music, the speakers aren’t an option. So... you still have to select play all in the Bose app. You have to ask Alexa to play music on a specific Bose speaker...so, it is almost there. I haven’t played with it quite enough to see if there is a command to get them to group, play all etc... but there seems to be potential light at the end of the tunnel. You don’t have to walk around and turn on every speaker. Also, be sure to unplug you six cord and select WiFi on the speaker or it won’t work.

I’m sure with all of us messing around with this somebody is bound to figure out how to get the speakers to work right. I also haven’t had this discovered long enough to figure out if when I stop the music if the speakers turn off and lose their grouping.
D2008
Participant
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

Sorry, didn’t proof read in my excitement, couple of typos- most importantly- be sure to unplug your aux cord. Not “six” cord! Lol
D2008
Participant
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

Ok, so now I feel a little like an idiot, just saw the post above, referring to the Alexa skill....

However, sounds like many were still trying to use the aux solution like myself. Perhaps we all got onto the Bose platform before the skill was available.
D2008
Participant
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

Sorry for all the posts in a row...it’s just this has been such a pain and a bummer for so many of us, if I can shed some sunshine...
here is a tip I just figured out-per the app description(helps to read, I guess)

I have to ask Alexa to play music on a specific Bose speaker and THEN ask “Alexa ask Bose to play this song everywhere”, it will then turn on the other speakers and join them together, it will also allow you to control the volume of the group.
Icarus
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 19, 2017

D2008:

Thanks for all your posts. I'm a simple guy. I don't have an Alexa. I don't care to get one. All I want is what I thought I was buying many moons ago - smart speakers with WiFi and BlueTooth and an AUX jack.

And I expected the AUX audio input to the smart speakers to be "always on" just like the AUX jack on AC or DC powered speakers have worked since Moby **bleep** was a minnow. How hard can it be?

My 67 year old (apparently addled) brain cannot understand why a fine company like Bose cannot, or will not, make this very simple audio function work.

And apparently Bose does not care. One would think that the fine moderator of this thread could explain this audio engineering anomaly. Or get an official answer telling us to fold up our tents and go home - this simple request will never happen because of reason 1, reason 2, etc etc etc yada yada yada.