Icarus
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 19, 2017

Re: KEEP SOUNDTOUCH 10 "ALWAYS ON"

So funny! Apparently the second word in the title character's name in the 1851 Herman Melville literary classic novel Moby "Delta India Charlie Kilo" had to be "bleeped" out by the Bose message board censor bot!

D2008
Participant
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

A quick update to my excitement about getting the Alexa Skills app to work.  It does technically work, however as I eagerly showed my wife how easy it was, I looked like an idiot attempting several different commands to make it work and she just gave me "the look" and walked out of the room.  So....though you can get it to work, the commands need to be really precises and is not very quick or elegant.  Also, not so sure it will work with being able to play the same music everywhere and include the bose speakers, which really is the whole point, which means, mind as well go back to bluetooth with works much more easliy. 

Aux is definitely still the better way.  Just need the darn thing to stay on, Bose.  If anyone is interested in 2 hardly used ST10 speakers, I got some for sale.  

Decided to add a Homepod in for quick easy decent sounding music, which is really what we do most of the time, and if I want bigger fuller sounding music for a party or something I will play through my larger entertainment system and stream via airplay to my other devices that can do that too.  I am pretty much over trying to make this stupid thing work.  The amount of time I have spent on this project collectively would add up to a lifetime of walking around and turning on speakers....

decarlod
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 2, 2017

I guess Bose is still unwilling to disable the inactivity timeout on these devices. Here are some great examples of why this is ridiculous. 

Take for example you want to set an alarm by asking alexa to set it for 6AM.  Oh she will set it which is great but in the morning she wont wake you up to go to work because most people dont have thier alarm clock go off less then 20 minutes after you go to sleep.

And how about a cooking timer?? "Alexa set a timer for 30 minutes".  35 minutes later you smell something burning because its been longer than 30 minutes.

I could use the blue tooth connectioin but that has its issues as well disconnecting at times. I want something I can trust. Echo Dot and Bose Soundtouch 10 you cannot trust.

I would return them if I didnt have them so long.  This is the last Bose item I ever buy.  

decarlod
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 2, 2017

I thought I would try the bluetooth for connectivity.  Another laughing matter.  If definitley stays connected longer than the aux port. But after I dont know maybe a few hours I talked to the dot and it was not connected.   I cant believe that bose even has this combination on its website.  What false advertising.  Imagine telling alex to wake you up at 5AM to catch a flight and the bose looses contivity?? Thats usually a deal breaker for anyone.

Oh and another bug.  Sharing the aux as a group is a nightmare.  The one without the aux and is using wifi to group goes on for a minute and then goes off. Then goes on again. Highly annoying and would never have that on with guests over.

sebastianshaw
Participant
Registered since

Aug 26, 2018

After reading reviewposition's reviews, I decided to get the Megaboom, because it gets the job done and I don't have to worry about things like these.

toddneville
Participant
Registered since

Nov 5, 2018

I'm glad I found this problem and researched it so soon after I purchased my SoundTouch 10.  Returning to Amazon today as I have the same issue as everyone else.  I found the following:  

1) If you plug your Alexa directly in via AUX, the speaker goes to sleep every 20 min.  The only way to use the speaker is to walk over to it or the remote and turn it back on.  This is ridiculous and makes the speaker unuseable plugged into an Alexa (or anything that you don't want to walk over and interact with directly)

2) If you pair it to an Alexa via bluetooth, and have multiple Alexa's around the house to talk to, you might be inclined to have all of your Alexa's play the same music at the same time by saying "Alexa play ____ everywhere".  However, the Alexa connected to the Bose Soundtouch will start playing from it's internal speaker, not over Bluetooth / via the Bose soundtouch.  (acts normally if you do not do "everywhere").  

Thus:

1) You cannot use a Bose Soundtouch with an Alexa via the Aux plug.

2) You cannot use a Bose Soundtouch via Bluetooth and play music everywhere via multiple Alexa's.

This makes it largely useless to me.  Returning the unit now, glad I found this thread.

Encourage everyone who reads this to post to the Amazon page for the Soundtouch to make this clear.

Bose developers:  Fix your Aux plug - this is silly that so many people have had to suffer as a result of your bad design.  

shafiq
Participant
Registered since

Nov 18, 2018

Same here.... bought 4 pieces of soundtouch 10 for my teenagers, two for each kid, so they can have stereo sound for their gaming PC's. Wasted a week troubleshooting "sleep mode". First, my brain was not accepting that a company like bose will take such a stupid decision and then I was furious when I found out that people have been complaining for last two years but bose is sleeping. Utter disappointing, returned all of them today.

BOSE Executives: Please don't leave product design issues with your engineers, they are surely screwing the company reputation. what were they smoking when they designed/decided this stupid feature? I pay my electricity bill, not you guys!!!!

Today you lost a customer who already owns following,

Quietcomfort 35

Soundsport free wireless headphone

Soundsport wireless headphone

Bose soundbar 700 with bass module

QC25 and QC20 noise canceling headphone

Mini bluetooth speaker II

Companion 20, planned to upgrade to companion 50 but now on hold. Looks like it has the same power-saving feature (read issue)

Planned to buy bose noise-masking sleep buds but now on hold as I don't feel like giving you guys my money anymore.

Wake up.... Nokia died because of poor decisions NOT because they had poor products.

Greg_B
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Jun 6, 2018

Hello shafiq! Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community.

I am sorry to hear about your experience. It looks like this feature request for disabling the auto-off feature (including AUX) has been passed along to our engineering team. If any new information becomes available, we will certainly share here on the community! We understand the frustration, but appreciate your patience!

Best Regards,

Greg - Community Support

decarlod
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 2, 2017

Hi Greg,
Thank you for taking the time to address this. However this isn’t something new and has been posted many times. What do they say when it is submitted?
Greg_B
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Jun 6, 2018

Hello decarlod,

Thanks for joining the Community. Great question! We compile feedback and feature requests and send them to the appropriate teams for consideration. Once submitted, we typically hear changes have been approved/implemented only when release notes are prepared for updates. You can imagine the number and scope of the requests we receive. I am sure their decision process includes determining how best to allocate resources. As always, it is good to remember that while we can pass those requests on, we are unable to guarantee that they will be implemented. Updates, when available, are shared here in the Community.

Hope this helps!

Best Regards,

Greg - Community Support