Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Dec 21, 2017

Re: Lifestyles 650 Green Vertical Line on Edge of Screen (4K pass through problem)

Sy,

I believe most people paid $4000 for the Lifestyle 650 home theatre system that it is, to compliment the terrific sounding speakers.  In my case it was $1700 for the SoundTouch 300 complete 5.1 surround system with 4K pass-through.  The engineering problem is cross-platform.

Excerpt from Bose.com - Lifestyle 650 Home Theatre:   

Details mean everything. So we compromised on nothing.

Beauty’s in the eye—and ear—of the beholder. So we designed the Lifestyle 650 home entertainment system to be beautiful in every way. Acoustics. Aesthetics. Craftsmanship. Simplicity. For your movies and music, it’s the most uncompromising 5-speaker home theater system we’ve ever made.

Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Dec 23, 2017

Re: Lifestyles 650 Green Vertical Line on Edge of Screen (4K pass through problem)

Perfectly said SkyYYZ, the literature says it all and proves we're not getting what was advertised.

CoolHead's post confirms that the problem still exists on consoles being sold today.

Just turned my system on after two days and of course had the green line, wonderful!

Let's go Bose!!

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 28, 2018

Yep! Bose didn’t mind taking my $4000 for the system tho. People are shocked how much Bose charges. I don’t think they care about the consumer. We shouldn’t have to adjust cables, or change sources etc. We paid good money! Should be perfect. Oh well! Maybe it’ll be a miracle and they’ll have new software update 

Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Dec 23, 2017

Felt like posting a little update:  Went to play a little XBox One tonight - GREEN LINE.  Switched sources in order to correct the problem.  Played Fallout 4 for about a half hour.  Decided it would be cool to watch the scene in Man of Steel where Superman learns to fly.  Switched to BluRay - GREEN LINE.  Had to switch sources and back again to make it go away.  Rant ahead:  Wife and I moved last year, have always wanted my ultimate TV room (within my budget, and stretching it a bit).  Have a $9K TV, $4K Bose 650.  Spent another $250.00 for ceiling mounts for L, R, and rear speakers, and wall mount for center.  Bought a second bass module for $600.00.  Spent I think $70.00 to get the Bose proprietary hard wire cables for the rear speakers (thanks for that Bose!).  I paid a professional $900.00 to mount everything and run cables through the walls for my "dream" home cinema.  I then spent several hundred dollars chasing this GREEN LINE issue around by switching HDMI cables and surge protectors.  Have had the TV replaced!  I am not a rich person so all of this comes at the expense of something else in my family's life.  Having said all that... EVERY TIME I TURN ON MY SYSTEM IT LOOKS LIKE CRAP... I EITHER HAVE A GREEN LINE ON EITHER SIDE OF MY TV, OR THE COLORS ARE SWITCHED... IN CASE I AM SPARED EITHER OF THESE PROBLEMS I END UP HAVING COMMUNICATION PROBLEMS WHERE THE SYSTEM SPEAKERS KEEP TURNING OFF.  I've said this before but I HAVE OWNED BOSE PRODUCTS FOR 30 YEARS AND NEVER HAD A COMPLAINT... THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE.  BOSE JUST DOESN'T SEEM TO CARE ANYMORE.  I AM OBVIOUSLY STUCK WITH THIS PROBLEM BUT I WILL NEVER AGAIN SPEAK HIGHLY OF BOSE, OR RECOMMEND THEIR PRODUCTS TO FRIENDS... JUST REALLY REALLY SICK OF THE SAME OLD 'ENGINEERING IS LOOKING INTO IT" LINE.  GET YOUR STUFF TOGETHER BOSE AND ACT LIKE YOU CARE ABOUT THE CONSUMER!

Sorry to you guys for the rant but I am just a little frustrated and thought I would speak plainly so maybe Bose will start to actually listen.

Haven't heard from you in awhile Joel!  

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Apr 9, 2017

Great post. Sounds like an awesome setup. I feel you. I just had all mine wall mounted and all the bolts and nut too. I know we all want the 650 to “just work”. Bypass the bose. Go directly to the tv. I did after over a year dealing with the green line and reversed colors. For me the only problem I have now is it take 4-8 seconds for the sound to come through on a cold turn on. I also solved (I think) my tv being confused on where to send the sound by changing fixed instead of variable. I just hope when my vet, 90% deaf father in law comes the audio out still works from the tv to send to his hearing aid.
And yep I’m new here but where is the bose guy gone too?
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

May 8, 2017

I know the minute I post this the ‘karma’ will be gone and the green lines will be back. 2 weeks ago I positioned my components (Apple 4K, Xbox One and cable box) back to their original setup (into Bose and out to TV). I made 1 change this time, the purchase of 2 Belkin Ultra High Speed HDMI cables ($29.95). The cables are recommended by Apple. One runs from Apple 4K TV to Bose and the other from Bose to TV. After 2 weeks and hours of watching video through the ATV ‘no green lines’.   On the other hand, I have experienced green lines while using the Xbox (still has the generic 4k cables).

I’m not backing away from screaming at Bose Engineering to ‘fix the problem’ but wanted to provide an update.

Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Dec 21, 2017

I too noticed an improvement using my own Certified 18Gbps cables (certified by HDMI.org); however, the green line issue eventually creeped back up.  I have been wondering if buying more expensive (non-certified) cables of even higher bandwidth would be worth a try.  According to the HDMI 2.0 specs, higher bandwidth cables shouldn't matter because it maxes out at 18Gbps.  I have to go to Best Buy anyway today, so maybe I'll pick up a couple of higher capacity cables and see what happens.  Thanks for the post... it seems apparent we've reached the end of support information from Bose.  I don't fault Joel either... he's probably been told just to leave it alone because eventually people will just stop talking about it.

Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Dec 23, 2017

Great info, did a little reading this weekend and found out that the future of HDMI is going to be 48 Gbps, which is what these Belkin cables are now.  Even though things max out right now at 18 Gbps I wonder if the larger "pipe" of the Belkin cable gives the Bose more space to perform the proper handshake?  

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/HLL52ZM/A/belkin-ultra-high-speed-4k-hdmi-cable-2m

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Apr 9, 2017

Hi all,
Do not I repeat do not buy new anything. Unless you know what you have is really old and does not have the speed for 4K or hdr. I have read all 7 pages of these postings and many more on other sights. If bose needed a super high cable they would of supplied it. I know some people are not 650 owners and this is on other devices and their device may not come with a supplied hdmi from bose like the 650 did. It’s all software. Somewhere in there something is just not clicking right. Do yourself a favor bypass the bose except for sound. Use arc not optical, hdmi is better sound. For some I know, “not an option” because of personal setups. I agree with some at least Joel tried to help but he has come and gone but the green line of death is here to stay.
Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Dec 23, 2017

Okay, some of you may not agree with me but I went ahead and ordered three of the Belkin HDMI 2.1 48 Gbps cables.  I ran across some reviews where other people were having similar communication problems on different receiver brands with pass through and these 2.1 cables resolved their issues.  There were also a couple really good YouTube technical reviews of the cables where they seemed to do very well, exceeding expectations.  I'm going to use one each for ARC, XBox One X, and my BluRay player.  The AT&T cable box hasn't been a problem in a long time so I'll save that for later if necessary.

So, I'm out another 100 bucks.  The cables arrive Wednesday, I'll hook them up that night and will let everyone know how it goes.  My XBox has been a consistent problem lately so I should be able to tell pretty quickly if these cables make a difference in my case.