SkyYYZ
Advocate
Registered since

Dec 21, 2017

Re: Lifestyles 650 Green Vertical Line on Edge of Screen (4K pass through problem)

The topic of "Pixel Shift" and "Fit to Screen" was discussed on pages 9-10... just fyi if you want to have a read.

JaymeW
Advocate
Registered since

Dec 23, 2017

Re: Lifestyles 650 Green Vertical Line on Edge of Screen (4K pass through problem)

Hello BigBlue007,

I don't have an OLED but as SkyYYZ mentioned the pixel shift issue has been discussed pretty thoroughly on this thread.

In the end anything anyone of us has tried has only been temporary, whether it was a setting on an OLED, or trying something new with a LCD/LED display.  No matter what combination of settings a person tried they may have some temporary success and when I say "success" I don't mean that literally... what will happen is that you may not exerience the Green Line for a little bit of time and then it will return.  My opinion is that it is purely luck that after you try a new setting that you don't see the Green Line right away as the problem is still there (Bose 4K pass-through problem).

The ONLY thing that has been proven to eliminate the Green Line is by-passing the Bose 4K pass-through altogether... you can read earlier posts on this but, long story short, when you do this you will ultimately lose other functionality of not only the Bose console, but also perhaps your other components as I did.

Bottom line, don't waste your time chasing your tail trying to figure out something to change on your TV/other components thinking you will figure out a way to make the Green Line go away for good... THE PROBLEM IS THE BOSE 4K PASS-THROUGH AND BOSE KNOWS THIS.

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said "the HDMI chipset sometimes work properly, and sometimes not."

JaymeW
Advocate
Registered since

Dec 23, 2017

Okay Bose,

Been three weeks since the super secret private messages went out... time to put your money where your mouth is.

Very glad to see that more people are finding this thread!

Have to keep pushing this until we consumers/loyal Bose afficianados get some resolution.  I personally have a $4,000 audio system which I have by-passed the majority of the functionality I paid for, and I know each person on this thread has their own set of compromises they are putting up with.

BigBlue007
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 1, 2018

I guess you completely missed my point... 😉

I was not saying that the root cause for this issue is anywhere else than in Bose's HDMI chipset, or that there is anything else that can be done about it other than Bose fixes this. On the contrary, I ended my post with the remark that the fault is defenitely with Bose.

The only reason for my post was because I thought that the reason why I don't see the green line all the time might be that pixel shift thingy. But even if this would have been the case (and I now know that it isn't), I wouldn't have considered this as a workaround, let alone a solution. It was just something I asked myself out of curiosity. It is more than obvious that this needs to be fixed.

Hope I made myself clear now... 😉

Connecting my sources to the TV is not an option anyway, because a) I have more sources than my TV has HDMI inputs, and b) the TV (not only my model but pretty much all models from Philips/TPV) adds a noticeable audio delay when passing through external HDMI sources, no matter if ARC or optical is being used.

Based on our local law I can return the stuff within 2 years because of failures that were present at the point in time when something was purchased. So far the issue is nothing that would bother me that much that I would tend to return it right away, so I have plenty of time to wait for a fix. If there is no fix after 2 years, and if there's a potential successor by then, it wouldn't be the worst to return it, get the full money back and take the successor... 🙂

JaymeW
Advocate
Registered since

Dec 23, 2017

Thanks BigBlue007,

I think I got it now Smiley Happy  

Please don't take my bold text as yelling... that was to emphasize the point to Bose.  We've seen times where the Moderators were missing for weeks at a time and I hope it helps them take notice of our conversations.  I think the persistence of this thread is the only reason we've got any reaction at all up until this point.

Honestly, I received the PM about three weeks ago after starting to post reviews where I could, and pointing people to this thread.  I'm not trying to bad mouth Bose (I've owned their products continuously for over 30 years and even recently bought the Revolve+, which is incredible, even after having this problem with the LS 650), but the fact really is that this is a problem that they need to fix.  Not to be too much of a conspiracy theorist but I have started to wonder if the whole secret PM was to get people to shut up for awhile.  There is a lot of money on the line, not to mention the damage to the brand if this problem (which is not our imagination) is openly admitted... imagine if there were a recall due to defective product!  One thing I can say for sure is receiving the PM made me feel completely disloyal to the people that have dedicated time to this thread!

I've said it before, I am absolutely not an engineer, but I can't imagine that if this could be fixed with an update, that it wouldn't already have been resolved.  My theory is that there is a problem with the hardware somewhere, but I hope I am proven wrong very soon.

GoneGator
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 9, 2017

Bingo.

This has been extremely disappointing. I really wish Bose would own up to their issue and simply offer returns/refunds. This has been going on way too long. I’m sick of the green line, swapping sources (which no longer works!), bypassing the console all together, etc.

I want what was advertised. 

BigBlue007
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 1, 2018

@JaymeW:

If Bose opted for a halfway good HDMI chipset vendor, I would guess that this should be something that can be adressed via a firmware update.

I am working in a somewhat different, but also somewhat similar industry. At least we have products with firmwares and BIOSes. When it comes to firmware or BIOS updates, it takes a considerable amount of time from finding/acknowledging an issue until a final version of an update is available. In most cases (and I'm sure this is true for this situation here as well) you are not doing this in-house, but instead you have to rely on suppliers from whom the affected component is coming from, as they need to code the update with the fix. Then the fix needs to go through a QA phase, which I could imagine takes longer for a company like Bose than it would take for some lower-end vendor.

So everything below a, let's say 3 month timeframe for a solution would be surprisingly fast. So I'd say it's still within a reasonable timeframe. Of course they could have acknowledged it much earlier...

SkyYYZ
Advocate
Registered since

Dec 21, 2017

@BigBlue007

Jayme posted this at the end of January, this year.  Bose has been aware of and acknowledging the green line issue since January 2017, and because of *this* thread, it has finally gained traction.

For example, here are a few postings that can be found using the search function of this forum - again, dating back to January 2017.

Having pointed that out, I would like to thank-you for taking the time to post a probable explanation of the process to get the 4K pass-through implementation fixed on the Lifestyle 600/650 and the SoundTouch 300 lines, which Bose has yet to acknowledge even though I've been an active troubleshooter within this forum as well.

flexiboy
Contributor
Registered since

May 25, 2018

Unfortunately I suspect nothing is going to happen and all the PM's are indeed a smoke screen to keep people happy. If its a basic hardware fault then nothing is going to fix it and it it can be done by software then I think it would have been now. As it I have to swear and curse , power off/on and keep getting stressed with the system that I have but I wont EVER be buying BOSE again as they have really let it's customers down. Shame on them.

JaymeW
Advocate
Registered since

Dec 23, 2017

Hey SkyYYZ,

Totally appreciate you posting the older links to this problem!  Seems this problem has been creeping up for longer than most of us even knew, which makes the "timeliness" of the solution look even worse.

I really hope Bose is paying attention to what people here are saying about how the problem seems to be evolving.  When I here people like GoneGator and flexiboy saying that the Green Line is more persistent (and is even happening all the time now) it makes me wonder even more what is causing this.  Perhaps things aren't holding up in there.  Thought before it may just be something like a handshake issue and sometimes it connected okay and sometimes not but if the frequency is increasing then (and again, I'm no engineer) it sounds to me that something (hardware) may be getting progressively worse/wearing out.  I have no idea but this definitely seems like good data for Bose to use.

BTW - been a month since the super secret PMs and no other word.