Contributor
Registered since

Jul 2, 2018

Re: Lifestyles 650 Green Vertical Line on Edge of Screen (4K pass through problem)

Please get bose to update the sound codecs to the newest versions out. dts x and dolby atmos and vision. PLEASEEE! this system is updated right now and its worth 5k pretty much. 

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

May 25, 2018

Re: Lifestyles 650 Green Vertical Line on Edge of Screen (4K pass through problem)

Well I installed the software update last friday and can say I have not seen the green line that was plaguing me daily so something somewhere was resolved by this update. I am now starting to love my Bose 650 and 4K devices again.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 9, 2017

It still happens with mine. But, I noticed if I restart AppleTV (4k), it will go away. Haven't tried our 4k bluray player, yet.

Baby steps, I suppose.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

May 25, 2018

Mine used to happen switching from SkyQ to Blu-ray or ATV4K almost everytime but now its not doing at all. In fact I tried last night to get the green line by switching inputs constantly but couldn't get it to do it unlike prior to the software update.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 25, 2018

Hi all, I do not currently have a Lifestyle 600/650, but I do work at Best Buy in Magnolia Home Theater and am an expert in 4K HDR formats and displays. I find it unacceptable that this issue has not been resolved. Something like this has not happened (at least not an issue that has persisted this long) with any other major A/V brand like Sony, Denon, Pioneer, etc. It is hard to tell if this is a hardware or software issue on the face of it, however the HDMI 2.0a/b standard had been around before the system was released and HDR standards had been around for even longer. Therefore, no matter if it’s hardware or software, the standards for HDR pass through were already available. I believe that it is a hardware issue because I don’t see a way that a large company such as Bose cannot take so long to fix an HDR issue that is software-related. HDR 10 is open source and free so I don’t see how it would be an impossible problem to solve when the expertise and technology is so easily available. I really want to see what Bose has to say about this because as I’ve been reading in this thread, many lifestyle customers have high-end home theater televisions and devices that cost as much or more than the lifestyle systems. I’m definitely not going to recommend this system to anyone until the issue gets resolved or a recall is issued.
Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Dec 21, 2017

@zradu

A recall would go beyond the Lifestyle systems—into the SoundTouch 300 line.  The same 4k pass-through "green line" issue problem plagues my SoundTouch 300 (ST300/AM300/VI300s).  Bose replaced the soundbar under warranty because of the green line to no avail.  If a recall was necessary, it would also mean acknowledging that it affects their other flagship product.  You can bet the ratio is thousands to one!  Let's hope there is a fix available.

Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Dec 23, 2017

Yes, it is very disappointing that this problem also affects the ST300, yet that is barely even mentioned, and certainly not acknowledged by Bose.

In fact, this whole situation is very disappointing and it's hard to believe, like zradu said, that a company as large as Bose hasn't resolved this yet.  Having said that, I am really happy to hear that some have had minor and even major improvements since the update!

For my part, I have still by-passed the console and just can't bring myself to pull cables from the walls and plug them back into the console until I hear straight from Bose that this update resolved the problem.  I just can't see going through all that trouble just to still have the Green Line, especially when at least one Bose rep has stated that the update wasn't intended to fix the problem.  Actually, the way Bose has handled this from the start has been super disappointing.  

IF THIS UPDATE IS BELIEVED BY BOSE TO HAVE ACTUALLY RESOLVED THE ISSUE THEN THEY NEED TO SAY SO PUBLICLY SO WE CAN KNOW WHERE THIS STANDS.  HOPING IT IS GONE EACH TIME YOU TURN THE SYSTEM ON IS JUST NOT HOW THIS SHOULD WORK.

Soap box alert - growing up I heard about the legendary Bose company and in 1986 while living overseas I was able to order a set of 901's... they lived up to their reputation!  Along with a huge rack of Yamaha equipment they could make the Earth shake, those things were bullet-proof!  I only let them go because I was getting married and sold them for twice what I paid before I came back home (and I regret it to this day!  That wife is gone too, which I don't regret).  Over the years I've had many Bose products and right now still have the VideoWave TV set up in another room and it has never disappointed.  Also have several other Bose products around the house.  Have aways been 100% satisfied throughout the years with Bose but I think this is my last go-around.  I never even looked at another brand but after this I am pretty certain that my next update will be a brand other than Bose.  This 4K issue (and especially the way it has been handled by Bose) is the proverbial "TURD IN A PUNCH BOWL" for me.  If there is a turd floating in your punch the rest of the punch may LOOK good, but you might want to think twice before drinking it.  My confidence in this brand will never be the same as I think this signals the end of the days of bullet-proof Bose products.  Might be best if I stick with them for small speakers but never my major home entertainment system again.

C'MON BOSE, JUST LET US KNOW IF YOU THINK THIS IS RESOLVED SO WE CAN STOP GUESSING AND GET BACK TO ENJOYING, AND SAYING GREAT THINGS ABOUT, YOUR BRAND!     

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 27, 2018

JaymeW

thanks for your post. I’m just looking at the Bose lifestyle 650 mostly for the audio. I’d be hooking it up to a new 4K tv on its own, no other components attached. Just for tv audio and stereo. Would the green vertical line come into play with something like that?

thanks 

kim

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

May 25, 2018

Well its over a week now and since the software update and I have not had the green line. Sorry for those people still having the issue and I can't explain why but the problem is now resolved for me so I am going to drop off the forum.

Good luck with those sill having issues.

Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Dec 23, 2017

Hey Kim,

Everyone on here that by-passed the console stopped having the Green Line.  Basically, it seems that as long as you only have the ARC running to the console for audio and don't have any 4K video going THROUGH the console you are okay.

Having said that, some people are reporting that the Green Line is gone for them after the last update so perhaps it's a non issue at this point anyways.  (Others are still having it occasionally, so who knows though).  

Can't really say for sure until Bose says something about it.  I, for one, won't be sending any video through the console until I hear from Bose.  This Green Line has been tricky and in the past has seemed to go away but always came back eventually.  Need to hear from Bose.

To your question though... use HDMI ARC from your TV to the console and you will be fine.  That's what I'm doing and I have ZERO complaints about the sound.  Good luck!