JaymeW
Vocal Volunteer
Registered since

Dec 23, 2017

Lifestyles 650 (and SoundTouch 300) Green Vertical Line on Edge of Screen (4K pass through problem)

ON 7 AUGUST 2018 I CHANGED THE TITLE OF THIS THREAD FROM "Lifestyles 650 Green Vertical Line on Edge of Screen (4K pass through problem)" to "Lifestyles 650 (and SoundTouch 300) Green Vertical Line on Edge of Screen (4K pass through problem)".  THE PURPOSE OF THIS CHANGE CAN BE FOUND ON PAGE 21 OF THIS THREAD.

I AM PROVIDING AN UPDATE TO THIS INITIAL POST/QUESTION ON 26 MAY 2018 FOR THOSE JUST FINDING THIS THREAD.  YOU CAN SEE HERE, WHAT WE HAVE FOUND WITHOUT HAVING TO READ TWELVE PAGES (HOWEVER FEEL FREE TO DO SO).  I ASK THAT IF YOU ARE HAVING THIS PROBLEM TO PLEASE ADD TO THE THREAD SO BOSE CAN HEAR US ALL.  THE ORIGINIAL UNEDITED POST/QUESTION IS BELOW AS WELL.

BOTTOM LINE UP FRONT - THE PROBLEM IS WITH THE CONSOLE.

Over the past several months many have contributed to this thread.  Here is what we have learned WILL NOT resolve your Green Line Issue (and possible color swap issues)

- Do not replace your TV/Apple TV/other 4K device, etc..

- Do not spend time attempting to find the set of adjustments on your devices that will ensure the Green Line goes away.  No settings will fix this issue. 

- Do not replace your surge protector.

- Do not relace your HDMI cables.

- Do not waste time replacing your console, reading this thread will show you that multiple people have done this and have had the same problem with the new console.  In fact, Bose has stated on this thread after initially offering to exchange my consoole that "The escalation team doesn't want us to replace your console due to the large number of reports of this specific issue."

We were told a couple weeks ago that this was escalated, and were told repeatedly by two different Moderators that Engineering had this for action.  We have not been offered a solution.

I think I can safely say that the consensus you will find on this thread is that the problem with the 4K pass through resulting in the Green Line and Color Swap issues, is solely contained somewhere inside your console.

TO BE CLEAR, WE ARE WAITING ON BOSE TO FIX THIS PROBLEM.

Now, if you can't wait and you love the sound like it seems we all do, then you can do what a couple of us have done, and that is to bypass the console's 4K pass through altogether and just use it for the audio.  You have a couple options for that obviously, either HDMI ARC, or Optical.  I personally would recommend HDMI ARC.  I did this about a month ago now... I lost a few things from other components in the process (I'll let you read my original posts below for that) but haven't seen the Green Line since.

Again, I really encourage you not to waste your evenings trying to figure this out, you won't be able to fix it on your own.

WE NEED BOSE TO FIX THIS.  Thank you! 

**Original Unedited Post**

Hello, I have seen this posted one other time in mid-2017 but didn't see a solution.  I have the green line that appears on the very edge of the TV screen occasionally.  For me, it has occurred using the 4K Bluray, XBox One X, as well as Cable Box.  I have went through everything... TV settings, changed cables, changed surge protector.  Was initially pointing my finger at Sony but after more research it seems to be an issue with passing signals through the Lifestyles 600/650.

Has anybody found a way to fix this?  I have the Sony XBR75Z9D UHD TV and Sony UBP-X800 Bluray... is there a magic combo of TV/Bluray settings that work to eliminate this?  I appreciate any help, it's been several weeks of troubleshooting, searching the internet, etc.  Would like to know if there is a fix or if Bose is working on an update to correct this.  I appreciate everyone's time! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Lifestyles 650 (and SoundTouch 300) Green Vertical Line on Edge of Screen (4K pass through probl

Bose Best Answer selected by Moderator Joel_D

Hello twpsoccer17,

Thank you for the question. We recently released an update to resolve issues with 4k passthrough; release notes can be found HERE

We did recently release 2 Soundbars from our new Smart Home Speaker line.

The Soundbar 500 and 700 with the optional purchase of a bass module and wireless Surround Sound speakers. However, these will not be integrated with other SoundTouch products if you have them. The Smart Home Speakers over streaming services and have Alexa built in.

There has not been any communication if a new 5.1 system is coming out.

Best Regards,

Joel 

293 REPLIES 293

Re: Lifestyles 650 Green Vertical Line on Edge of Screen (4K pass through problem)

Hello JaymeW,

I am sorry to hear this. Has this always been occurring since you have owned the Lifestyle 650? Have you performed a factory default on the console to see if it goes away?

Kind Regards,

Joel - Bose Support

JaymeW
Vocal Volunteer
Registered since

Dec 23, 2017

Re: Lifestyles 650 Green Vertical Line on Edge of Screen (4K pass through problem)

Hello Joel,

I appreciate the response.  Yes, I have had three different TVs (all XBR75Z9D) hooked to the system and the green line has been common to them all.  The frequency varies where it may go weeks without happening but then it will appear on every source in one day.  I initially thought it was the TV but after trying every combo of settings, changing HDMI cables, changing surge protector, and then seeing the same thing reported here, I am confident it has to do with the pass through.

It does seem that if I am careful to change sources that I can manage it a bit.  For example, I always put the source back on HDTV before shutting it off and then wake up my HDTV receiver before changing to another source.  As long as I give it some time I seem to be able to manage it but that may be my imagination.

It is a real bummere to have this high end of equipment and then not know if/when this will happen again.  Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated!

Best regards,

Jayme

Nickdgo
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Feb 1, 2018

I have troubleshot every variable and also have come to the conclusion that it is the 4k pass through on the console.
I have Lg oled, oppo 203 br player.

The problem is intermittent. Oppo has several output modes. Auto, source direct, several custom settings. The green line appears on all settings. The signal will cut out sometimes as well. Oppo direct to tv, no problems at all.
I am on my second 650 console, same problem. Any ideas Bose? This is becoming frustrating, especially when my friends want to see the new system.
JaymeW
Vocal Volunteer
Registered since

Dec 23, 2017

Sorry to hear you are having the same problem!  On the bright side though I think there should be enough of us having the same issue, particulary with different TVs, blurays, etc to say that the one thing we all have in common is the Lifestyles 600/650.  Hopefully Bose will be able to fix this with an update.

I know what you are saying about showing friends your system.  Kinda stinks to have all this cool/expensive gear then have friends over and have this green line pop up making it look cheap... "oh, wait a minute, I just need to switch this or shut this off and turn it back on and it should go away."  Not too impressive!

2thDoc
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jan 28, 2018

Any news on the update do rid this annoying green vertical line?? It’s a shame that you spend $3000 to have this happen. Will an update fix this???
JaymeW
Vocal Volunteer
Registered since

Dec 23, 2017

I thought I had this sort of managed by slowly changing sources, etc but I was WRONG!  Not sure what happened but it came back again tonight.  It started again after restarting my XBox One X.  I got it to go away by changing the color space on the XBox One X from 10-bit to 8-bit (it went away), then I was able to change back to 10-bit and it was still okay.  When I changed the color space like that the screen goes black for a second so I think it reset/refreshed the signal or something and maybe triggered something in the Lifestyle 650 to fix the pass through problem.

After that I tried the bluray player (UBP-X800)... it initially was fine but after testing a 4K HDR movie and then taking it out, the home screen of the bluray player had the green line.  I put the movie back in and it was fine.  Took the disc back out and the line was on the bluray player home screen again.  I played around with the settings on the bluray player and found that when I changed the color space from 4:4:4 to 4:2:2 it went away and I could make it come back by changing back to 4:4:4 again.

I'm just guessing but it seems to have something to do with the Bose and switching from various source signals and the way they pass through but I'm not an expert.  All I do know is that I have checked everything else and based on the fact that we all seem to be having this problem, and the only thing we have in common is the Lifestyles, than it must be that.

Sorry this is long, I'm not trying to offer a solution but I thought I'd share how my settings affected the green line today not only for us consumers but hopefully to give Bose all the information I have to hopefully help them fix this very annoying issue.  Thanks!

Hello All,

I'm sorry to hear this is continuously happening with your Lifestyle systems. Can you all provide me the make, model and software versions of your TV? Could you also provide me with the sources make and models this occurs on as well? I want to get this escalated to engineering, the more information you can provide me, we will be better off understanding what is happening.

Kind Regards,

Joel - Bose Support

Nickdgo
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Feb 1, 2018

I have an OPPO UDP-203 HD Blu Ray Player

LG OLED 65 C7P

The green line is intermittent but frequent. I have narrowed it down to source swithching and UHD 4k movies. I have not had it happen with regular blu-rays. I do get the green line on the home screen of the OPPO player. I can get it to disappear by switching between the OPPO video out put, auto, custom, direct source. Some times the display will cut out completely when attempting this. The audio will still play, but the screen goes black or flickers with snow. Then the tv will take over and go to the home screen of the tv because it is not detecting a source from the arc. 

2thDoc
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jan 28, 2018

Hello

I have Sony XBR65X900E tv
Sony UXB800 blue ray (4K)

And Apple TV

FYI I had Sony switch out tv bc I thought it was the tv so it’s not bc it still happens. No matter what source. I think if I put the cable box under 1080p it doesn’t do it. Only the 4K UHD video display. It’s annoying tho bc never had problem with my last lifestyle and only updated to the 600 bc of the 4K capability.