Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Re: Lifestyles 650 Green Vertical Line on Edge of Screen (4K pass through problem)

Hello All,

Thank you for all the posts. This is actively being investigated, once we have more information, we will let the community know.

Kind Regards,

Joel

Highlighted
Leader
Registered since

Apr 4, 2017

Re: Lifestyles 650 Green Vertical Line on Edge of Screen (4K pass through problem)

Hi All
Not to sure if this makes any difference to the so called overscan greenline issue but, I did calibrate my oled65c6 tv using HDMI HIGH on picture settings instead of the default LOW, on some tv sets this is hdmi normal black level.
My reason for this was better results from the calibration disc test patterns.
Who knows, it might help.
Regards
Squadie
Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Apr 9, 2017

Wow! I just found this page after over a year dealing with this. Like most said it’s an occasional problem. Found other place blaming cables. I dealt with this for over a year because the good outweighed the bad (sound). Just changed to better cables and had work done to put tv on the wall and speakers mounted. Switched from tv to SoundTouch and bam inverted color. Switched back to cable and green line back to SoundTouch and perfect. After a year I think I just gave up contacting Bose. Sorry to say I don’t think this will ever be fixed. I am just going to use ARC and all sources to tv. I will eat my words if they fix this but I think they are to busy changeing the background of SoundTouch or breaking other things that work perfectly. Sorry I know I sound bitter, but I’m glad I did not go to the extreme as others with new TVs. Just had to send back the original 650 because the sub kept disconnecting. Joel good luck with this one. With non tech people in the house and they turn the tv on and get the line of death I have to walk them through getting it to go away because sometimes even a power down does not fix it.
Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Dec 21, 2017

The vertical green line is inherent on SoundTouch 300 4K passthrough as well, particularly with 4K HDR.  Bose replaced mine under warranty and the new one is handling passthrough better.  The original one couldn't handle 4K HDR passthrough at all.  I can find complaints about the vertical green line dating back to January 2017 in this forum. It doesn't seem to matter what brand of TV - it happens across them all.

One thing to note is that the trouble seems to begin when the signal is nearing the top of the 18Gbps maximum capacity of HDMI 2.0b.  4K HDR for instance.  HDR shouldn't matter though because it still maxes out at 17.82Gbps at 4K 60p 4:2:2.  It doesn't matter if the source is streaming HDR (i.e. Netflix) or Blu-ray HDR discs, that's when the vertical green line issue begins for me.  Regular 4K content (aka 4K SDR) is handled without issue, at least on my new unit, at 4K 60p 4:4:4.  You're right  I think this issue is here to stay. 

Interestingly, there are many positive reviews on the internet (at least with the ST 300 system) and they all correctly identify 4K passthrough as a feature; however, I don't think any of the reviewers actually tried 4K passthrough on their test units.

I'm pretty sure Bose engineering is well aware of the 4K passthrough issues.  If it could have been fixed, it would have been by now.  Fingers crossed though a firmware update can resolve it entirely.

Reference posts:

Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Dec 23, 2017

Thanks SkyYYZ!  That was a lot of great information!  After reading all of that, everything on this thread, and things elsewhere on the internet, the thing that baffles me is why more people aren't complaining about this.  We have seen people have consoles replaced to still have the same problem so it seems it's pretty common.  Still, it seems that there are only a limited number of us really trying to push for a solution.  Has everyone else just decided to live with it, or are they just not familiar enough with the forums and not complaining?  Maybe it really is just a batch of consoles and only a unlucky few are having this problem, in that case push out a list of serial numbers and offer replacements.  I don't know but at this point I think I agree that we won't see a fix.  No offense Bose but it seems easier to wait us all out until we just stop posting/complaining/find our own little work around like bypassing the passthrough, or until everyone's warranties are up.  Sure would be nice for some transparency on this issue though.  I mean, Engineering has been aware of this how long?  Just put out a notice saying there are intermittent issues with 4K passthrough.  I said before I have owned Bose products for over 30 years starting with 901's back in 1986, AM7, AM5, VideoWave, etc... have been supremely happy with everything up until now.  The thing I always enjopyed most was the simplicity of control to get such fantastic sound.  I've defended Bose to all the audiophile snobs out there talking about no highs, no lows, etc too!  Again, love the sound of the 650 but popping in a movie and either having a green line, reversed colors, or not recognizing the system over and over really blows the elegant feel it is supposed to have.  Really stinks to do this when you have a bunch of people over and have to explain that your system looks great but you can't always just turn it on and go!

Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Dec 21, 2017

@JaymeWwrote:
  1. "...the thing that baffles me is why more people aren't complaining about this.  We have seen people have consoles replaced to still have the same problem so it seems it's pretty common."
  2. "...Maybe it really is just a batch of consoles and only a unlucky few are having this problem, in that case push out a list of serial numbers and offer replacements." 
  3. "...I have owned Bose products for over 30 years.. have been supremely happy with everything up until now."

1. Exactly.  As I'm becoming more knowledgeable about higher end equipment, it seems a common place for corporations to ignore issues unless the vast majority of customers start making complaints and requesting warranty exchanges.
  2. I think I've figured out the date codes in the serial number:  My original was P7200 and replacement is P7310.  I believe they mean 2017, followed by the day it was manufactured ie. day 200 and day 310 of 365.
  3. I have been very happy with all of my other Bose products over the years as well.  It would seem to me a third party is contracted for the software and driver/firmware because historically, as you said, Bose built their reputation on doing things right.

Fingers crossed this thread helps.  There are other postings across the internet as you pointed out but I didn't link to them because there is sufficient evidence within this Community Forum.

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Apr 9, 2017

After having the 650 over a year it is totally software. I feel for people sending stuff back. If that worked for you great. Why I say it’s software is now after about 10+ updates the problem occurs less with one then worse with a new one. There are times it takes switching from cable box (4K none hdr) to tv to soundtouch x2. Sometimes it’s just cable box to soundtouch and also in reverse. As per many others the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Look at iOS 11. The biggest one is going from soundtouch to cable. There was an update not to long ago I had to pull the plug on everything. Try doing that in a wheelchair. It so much fun! This is now at page 5. Maybe it’ll get fixed when we get to page 100? Love my sound hate the glitches. 

Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Dec 23, 2017

Totally agree!  I also had to pull all my plugs after the last update.  Sorry you had to do that in a wheelchair!

Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Dec 21, 2017

@Sy

It hadn't occurred to me to repeatedly try switching between inputs in order to make the issue go away - nor would I place that needless additional wear and tear on my television circuitry.  In my opinion, that's just asking for trouble.

Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Dec 23, 2017

Totally agree with you, unfortunately that has been the only thing I have been able to do to get it to go away when it pops back up.  That's after switching out HDMI cables, surge protector, and going through three different TVs.  Also spent countless hours trying every possible combo of Bluray/TV/XBox settings and having nothing else work.  Did seem to get it to go away full time from the HDTV signal by taking TV off of full-pixel but that's kind of a shame because I gave up some viewable image to do so, which doesn't seem like the right answer either.  Still having problems with all other sources.