Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Dec 23, 2017

Re: Lifestyles 650 Green Vertical Line on Edge of Screen (4K pass through problem)

sebster,

Wow!  So much great information in your post!!  Definitely appreciate you sticking your neck out there as an employee and sharing what you know.  Great info, but also discouraging!

Yes, after what everyone on here has individually tried to fix this problem, it is definitely the Bose 4K pass-through that is the culprit.  There is just no doubt about that.

The most troubling thing (in my opinion) of what you posted is that the person that you talked to claimed to have no knowledge about this issue.  We've been told multiple times about how this was sent to the "escalation team" and that "engineering had it for action."  Several of us also received PM's asking if we'd be willing to participate in a beta software push trying to resolve the problem.  This makes one really wonder what has been going on.  Were all the comments from administrators and PM's lies, or is the engineering dept just not communicating effectively??

Either way, I am pretty convinced that this WILL NOT EVER be fixed.  Just look at the number of weeks that have pssed since the PM's were sent out!  Meanwhile some people have had luck since the last update but no word about it from Bose.  I hate to be a pessimist but I would be willing to bet that anyone that left the thread since the last update due to the Green Line being gone will be back.  In my experience (before by-passing the console) I had intermittent luck, and even thought the problem was gone, just to have it come back eventually.  It is almost as if the system adapts to whatever you try to do to resolve it and then pops the Green Line back up on your screen.

Here's is what I think will happen and I hope Bose proves me wrong.  They will let this thread die and just not comment here anymore.  We'll slowly just get over it and give up on a solution.  Yes, everyone on here has lives and more important things going on.  We'll never hear what the problem is, or if it was resolved in future units.  It'll just be forgotten over time.  More than likely, when the next biggest thing comes out from Bose we'll probably buy that too.  Just really too bad!

Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Dec 23, 2017

Re: Lifestyles 650 Green Vertical Line on Edge of Screen (4K pass through problem)

Very interesting stuff going on here!

Couple of days ago a person by the name of "sebster" claiming to be a Bose employee posted a rather lengthy commentary about this problem.  He/she spoke about their conversation with the highest level within Bose that they will let the general public/Bose employee's speak to.  He also stated that Bose claimed to have no previous knowledge of this Green Line problem.  Now, I can't say exactlly whether this was an employee or not (sure sounded like one) but I can say for a FACT that the entire post has disappeared!  Now, I have looked and I can't figure out how to make a post disappear so could someone please enlighten me on that?!  (I do have a copy of sebster's entire post if you missed it).

This is very disturbing to say the least!  It's been weeks since anyone from Bose has commented officially about this Green Line issue.  With the disappearance of sebster's post it sure looks a bit shady.  Sure hope he/she didn't get in trouble!

I think Dr. Bose would be very disappointed if he knew how the company he founded is treating it's customers and what is being done to his name!

Yep, pretty sure no one else from Bose will ever comment here again.

Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Dec 21, 2017

Do you mean this one?...

Lifestyles 650 Green Vertical Line on Edge of Screen (4K pass through problem) (Bose Community Subscription Update)

Hi SkyYYZ,

sebster (Audible Advocate) posted a new reply in Home Theater on 2018-07-27 07:44 PM :

As a Bose employee and having purchased the Lifestyle 650 for myself, I am very disappointed to say I am experiencing the same exact issue as the original poster in this thread had since January. The latest firmware update for the Lifestyle 650 does not fix the issue, it still persists even with a complete software restore from USB and factory reset. I have tried everything from several different 4K TV's and HDMI cables as well as a Playstation 4 Pro, Xbox One X, Apple TV 4K, and Nvidia Shield TV 4K, but the issue persists regardless.

It's extremely frustrating seeing that this is an issue that has been going on since the OP first posted about it in January and there are nearly 20 pages in this thread now consisting of various different customers experiencing the same exact issue with numerous different TVs. Clearly this isn't an issue with our TVs and according to some users such as JaymeW, this is an issue that not only affects Lifestyle units, but also the ST300. 

It is very hard for me to recommend the Lifestyle system to customers now, expecially if they currently have or are planning to upgrade to a 4K UHD TV. I take customer service very seriously and always try to do anything and everything I can to make sure I make proper customer recommendations and help find proper solutions for customers based on their needs. The fact that Bose's most premium flagship home theatre systems have this widespread of an issue that has been ongoing for at least 7+ months now is insane, considering we have yet to receive an official update from Bose on the status of this "issue".

Yesterday I gave the Bose technical support department a call to try to explain to them the issue I was having as well as many others, and after being transferred over 3 or 4 times I finally got to speak to the Senior Technical Support Team (this is the highest up team they would let me speak to as they do not allow the general public nor Bose employees to speak directly to the engineering department).

This was a very interesting conversation as it started off with the gentleman I was speaking with NOT being aware at all that this was even an issue! He explained to me numerous times throughout the call that nobody has called reporting the exact issue we all seem to have in this thread, and after I asked him if he had read any of the complaints that people were having on this thread, he claimed the thread had never been brought to his attention and that this was the first time he saw it!

While I was on the phone with him (I currently own a Samsung 40" 4K Model NU7100 TV currently hooked up to my Lifestyle 650) he kept on insisting numerous times throughout the course of the call that this was an "overscanning issue" with the Samsung TV. However, I could not wrap my mind around this as, again, this issue ONLY exists when the device is connected to the Bose Lifestyle 650 receiver, and the lifestyle is hooked up to the TV. When I plug ANY of my 4K devices in to the TV via HDMI DIRECTLY, I NEVER see the green line appear. Clearly there is some sort of issue with the way that the Bose Lifestyle 650 is passing through the video signal, but the gentleman I spoke to would not ackowledge this. He attempted to chat with Samsung online while I was on the phone with him to figure out how to manually adjust "Overscanning" picture settings on the TV, however he ended up finding out that it isn't possible to do so as this is a feature that is automatically managed by the Samsung TV and is not user adjustable. With a little research while I was waiting quietly on the phone, I found out that nearly NO consumer TV on the market HAS the ability to manuall adjust picture overscanning (whether it be Samsung, LG, Sony, etc.). 

It almost seemed as if he didn't want to believe what I was saying, and he kept on insiting throughout the call that this was an issue with TV manufacturers rather than Bose as the TV does all of video encoding, etc. and the Bose system is solely responsible for taking care of the audio, and passing through the video. This simply cannot be true however, as this issue does NOT happen with any other receiver or HDMI hub/switch that I have tested, therefore, this is a Bose issue!!

Believe me, as a Bose employee I am the last person to ever point the finger at Bose, and have tried literally everything to troubleshoot this problem, but clearly after all of my testing and heaps of identical reports contained inside this thread, this has to be an issue with the Bose receiver, whether it be hardware or software we don't know, but it definitly isn't our TVs or 4K devices. 

Now please, if someone at Bose corporate is reading this, please alert your engineers of this issue and roll out some sort of statement to your customers that are affected by this issue with an acknowledgment of the problem, and (hopefully) a timely fix or solution for the issue. Many customers have been waiting way too long (7+ months), it's very hard to sell a system knowing that this is an issue that will mostly likely affect majority of the target audience Bose is reaching with this $4,000 system.

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hello Everyone,

We would like to apologize for this issue you have experienced, and thank you sincerely for hanging in there while we worked on a solution. The good news is we have made progress on the fix for the display “green line” issue. Where are we now exactly? We are validating the fix as well as completing a more thorough round of testing necessary before we make it broadly available. We are happy to say the early test results are quite promising. That said, completing this testing on our end, both to make sure it completely addresses the issue and doesn’t cause any other problems, takes time. We realize we are asking for a little more time, but we believe we are close and really appreciate your understanding in this last stretch.

We have a beta patch release that we are testing with qualified users. If you’re interested in trying this patch, please reach out to us via private message to the Community Admin account. It continues to be a top priority to make this fix available as soon as possible to everyone through the product software updates.

Please provide the following information in your private message.

• Description of the issue and sources affected:

• Make and model of components including TV and source devices(Blu Ray,gaming console, etc.):

• SoundTouch Account Email:

Warm Regards,

Joel - Community Support

Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Dec 21, 2017

I think I can speak for many of us when I say "thank you" for the detailed update.

Having said that, is there acknowledgement that this also affects the SoundTouch 300 flagship product?  I've refrained from generating a unique thread for awareness in SoundTouch forum since it is well documented here, and because many ST300 owners may not even be aware that the problem exists if they aren't using it for 4K pass-through.

I only discovered it because I needed to take advantage of that option.  You can see how I progressed to the discovery HERE, then ultimately found this thread and jumped on board to keep it in one place.

Thanks in advance, and thank you again for the concise details on this priority matter.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 27, 2018

Joel,

Thank you very much for the update! That certainly sounds promising!
Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Dec 23, 2017

Thanks for the update Joel,

I'm still a bit skeptical however.  We have had to fight much harder than necessary, talking amongst ourselves here while sometimes weeks/months went by with no comment from Bose on a most obvious problem.  As far as I'm concerned this issue would have been dropped if we hadn't kept harping on it, so I just can't immediately get excited about this little bit of information considering how hard Bose made it to get.  After all the time some of us spent pushing and pushing for some type of info on this problem it seems to only have been sebster's post (and removal, and re-posting by another user) that got any attention from Bose worthy of an update.  Maybe it's a coincidence, but either way, whoever is making the big decisions about when moderators are allowed to chime in on this type of thread/problem needs to do better.  

I just can't understand why engineering would need to know what type of components we have, TV and sources, etc at this point?  Everyone already knows it's the 4K pass-through of the Bose console, not our variety of components.  Honestly, the real point though is that this never should have went to market like this.

Thanks again for the update.  We look forward to more regular updates and the eventual remedy of this problem.

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi JaymeW,

I completely understand what you've stated. As per what I discussed with you before, I already have your information and will be forwarding it to development to include you in the test.

Let us know the results.

Regards,

Joel 

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hello All,

Just wanted to make a few users aware that have been work with myself and Brandon. I have added the following to the test:

@GoneGator
@JaymeW
@Squadie
@Moonman
@2thDoc
@Flexiboy

If there is any others that would like to be included, please fill out the fields above in my earlier post and private message to the community admin and we will add you as well.

Warm Regards,

Joel 

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

May 25, 2018

For those hoping and praying , the green line has definately disappeared for me since the update 2 weeks ago so lets hope Bose releases it to the general public ASAP