Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 9, 2017

Re: Lifestyles 650 Green Vertical Line on Edge of Screen (4K pass through problem)

Green line.. Hulk smash!! 

Count me in with this crap too. I have tried EVERYTHING to resolve it. Even went as far to take my high-speed HDMI cables and 4k Apple TV to a friends house and run it through his Onkyo receiver - zero problems. I continue to "swap" sources when wanting to view ANY 4k device utilizing pass-thru. And now, this is starting not to work, as well. Sometimes the green will go away, other times, it won't.

Overall, the system is really nice and pretty much works. But if I had the opportunity, I would return it to Bose in an instant. I've had the system for over 7 months, so I know that's not an option. 

FWIW, I have the LS 600 and a 65" Samsung 4KHDR TV (Model UN65MU8000FXZA). When the Apple TV and Sony UBP-X800 are connected directly to the TV, again, no problems. And "no" I don't want to use ARC. It's flakey as all get out with this Bose system. So, for now, all sources run to the LS 600 and then to the TV. 

I've been folloing this thread for a while and it is amazing Bose has not replied faster or updated any progress or "admittance" to this issue. So disappointing.

Highlighted
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Apr 4, 2017

Re: Lifestyles 650 Green Vertical Line on Edge of Screen (4K pass through problem)

Hi All
For Samsung Tv owners turn off your fit to screen option, for LG Tv owners turn off Just Scan in the Aspect Ratio settings. Yes you will loose some of the outer edge of the picture but, you won't see a green line, the action normally takes place in the centre of the screen. Some AV companies are putting the green / white or black line down to lack of video information being passed by their system to the tv from other sources!
Any how, hope this helps as a temp work around until this is resolved.
Squadie
Highlighted
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Dec 21, 2017

@Squadiewrote:

Some AV companies are putting the green / white or black line down to lack of video information being passed by their system to the tv from other sources!

That is illogical.  That "lack of video information" is (eventually) restored by interrupting the pass-through signal a few times.  This thread requires a reply on behalf of engineering.

Highlighted
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Apr 4, 2017

What ever you believe, this is what some sites are saying, turning off the fit to screen option for your own panel aspect ratio does work which, some community members will benefit from, plus turning off this feature also validates the lack of video information theory, if it works, and for me, the answer is yes.
Highlighted
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Dec 21, 2017

Turning off fit to screen enables overscan of the video, so you lose some of the filmed image.  Connecting source devices directly to the TV does present the same issue.  The problem is the Bose pass-through implementation, be that hardware or firmware.

Highlighted
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Apr 4, 2017

That's correct but, you only loose a small percentage of the outer picture which means, loosing the green line, Whether your watching movies or playing games, your eyes are focused to the centre of the screen, this is a work around if and when Bose can rectify this. The moderators have already passed this on to engineering, they will be in touch if anything comes about this issue. No time line will be given which, Bose has made clear in the past.
Hope this helps
Highlighted
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Dec 21, 2017

Understood and yes, over-scanning the image is a band-aid solution. 

This band-aid results in a 4% horizontal + 4% vertical loss of picture, resulting in artificial zoom of the original 3840 pixels × 2160 Ultra High Definition picture.

I originally replied because I wanted to point out that there is no missing video information behind the green line as was suggested.  Instead, the green line is covering a portion of the original video that exists beneath it.

Fit to screen set to ON on Samsung TVs = 1:1 picture with zero overscan.

Highlighted
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Apr 4, 2017

Please see link below from Samsung Support.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiflczgyr...

To me, this does explain the green line issue.

Edit :- On my LG OLED65C6 with Just Scan turned off, I Loose a total of 2.5% of the entire picture, confirmed, by my Overscan test pattern on a calibration disk.  So what, I can't see an entire cup on a shelf if a pause the video 🙂  Its the action my eyes are focused on, old CRT TVs use to have a safe zone of around 5 % with overscan.

This is not a plea to stop Bose from researching the green line issue, just a work around to what Samsung and a few others are saying about this issue if, the above link is actual true.

Regards

Squadie

Highlighted
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Dec 21, 2017

I've seen the missing information in broadcast television before (I referred to it as edge noise) and have used a custom 2% total overscan to correct those broadcast channels.  Samsung automatic overscan is 4% unless you select custom and reduce the zoom.  I've never seen a green line as a result of a broadcast signal, only the "noise/static", but good to know.

In either case that is a broadcast/cable TV signal, not an Ultra High Resolution direct feed. 

The Bose pass-through approach can be corrected by interrupting the signal a few times or by zooming in on the original signal using overscan.  Neither are acceptable.

This proves there is a signal loss when using the pass-through which requires band-aid approaches to either restore or hide the problem.  Thanks for that link!

Highlighted
Vocal Volunteer
Registered since

Dec 23, 2017

There is always a so what with this problem in my opinion.  It sounds like in the case of Samsung owners it is giving up a percentage of viewable area in order to work around the fact that Bose screwed this up royally.

In my case, after the last "Belkin cable debacle" I decided to finally go straigth to the TV with all my sources and just use ARC to the LS 650.  My so what is that my TV (Sony Z9D) has 4 HDMI ports but only 2 & 3 are full bandwitch (and 3 is also used for ARC).  This means that I had to connect my XBox One X to one of the less than full bandwidth ports... it is still 4K but my XBox is no longer capable of displaying HDR, or when games get up to 60fps I lose that as well.  So, I say so what because I can't really tell the difference anyways, but that's not the point.

The point is that Bose should have tested this product and made sure they didn't push this problem off on the consumer who then spends months troubleshooting, changing settings on other devices, buying new cables, hoping someone here has a solution, etc, etc, etc, just to have the GREEN LINE or SWITCHED COLORS always come back.

Now I can say that since going straight to TV I think the system looks and sounds better and I haven't seen the green line at all and I have played around with all sources enough that before doing this I definitely would have seen it by now.  The ARC is working fine also.  Another thing I have had to give up is the ability to get real functionality out of the Bose remote control.  Basically, all I use it for now is to turn the Bose on.  For some reason my Sony TV control will turn the system off, but not on.  I really like the Bose remote but oh well, I guess, just another thing I paid for from Bose that I can't use.

I have come to the realization that Bose will not be fixing this any time soon.  If they could (or wanted to) they would have.  Maybe this requires a recall of all of our systems, does anyone think they are going to damage the brand with that.  More than likely, if they do resolve this they'll either push the new consoles out slowly and quietly, or wait a few years, call is LS 650 II, add in a couple more bells and whistles, just enough to get us to bite once again.

Just really disappointed that the only solution for any of us it to willingly sacrifice the performance of our other components in order to work around the Bose which we all paid a premium price for.  Bottom line, it should work as advertised and we should be able to choose settings on our other components to MAXIMIZE performance, not to degrade it.