Grahamadams19
Silent Starter
Registered since

Oct 17, 2015

Linux

I have recently bought a Bose Soundtouch system but my music libary is stored on my Linux computer. The sound touch app only has versions for Mac and Windows, is there a way around this problem? I can play music on one speaker via bluetooth but cannot stream it through the house.
Rgds
Graham
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Linux

Hi Graham,

While we do not have a version of the SoundTouch app which works with Linux, There is a potential a work-around which may help to get you access to your music in this setup: 

1. First, we will need to have the SoundTouch app running on another mobile device (iOS/Android) or computer (Windows/OS)  in your home. This is simply required for control and manipulation of the library once we add it. 
  2. Secondly, we will need to have your Linux machine running a DLNA media server on the local network. This can be accomplished via a number of 3rd party tools availble for linux (e.g. TwonkyMedia server). Make sure the media server is set to share the locations on the hard drive where your music is stored.
  3. Lastly, in the SoundTouch app we will choose to Add a Music Library and select the option for "NAS Drive." (rather than Windows Media player or iTunes). DLNA servers on the network should be detected by this method and available to add. 

Make sure that your music is also stored in a compatible format for the SoundTouch system. Those formats are listed here.

(note that while this feature is officially only supported for iTunes, WMP, and Dedicated NAS drives, we often see SoundTouch users having success with the method described above.)
Hope this helps you out!

steffanllyn
Silent Starter
Registered since

Apr 6, 2016

If you're looking for an open-source alternative, you could try Plex media server (see https://mintguide.org/video/452-plex-media-server-install-dlna-server-on-linux-mint.html). It works fine for me!
microbmen
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 8, 2015

Soundtouch has limited support for DLNA, and doesnt work very well, even when we get it to work with Plex or Twonky, etc (ive tried about 10 different DLNA services) it may work one day and then not work the next.  reboot sometimes helps, but again in a day it will stop working.  
The only reliable service is the Bose Soundtouch app for Win/Mac that acts as an iTunes / WMP service for the Soundtouch systems.  Bose obviously knows how to write a service that works perfect and supported by the Soundtouch speakers.  
I would like to re-ask this question - Is there ever going to be a Linux Soundtouch server software built? Does anyone know of an opensource community project where someone is writing a Soundtouch server for Linux? (dont tell me DLNA works ... its too inconsistent)  ... 
2 choices - firmware update so Bose support DLNA without bugs. .. .or other alternatives for Soundtouch WPA/Itunes service.

Highlighted
hptasins
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jul 25, 2016

Plex started working with my SoundTouch 10 recently. It was completely non-functional a couple months ago. uShare also works now and was similary non-functional a couple months ago.  Seems like SoundTouch DLNA support has improved, but I haven't tested it out enough to say that it's solid or consistent yet.

I'm streaming from a linux host, and do not have either the Win or MacOS Bose software running or installed anywhere.