Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mickeybarbs
Participant
Registered since

Jul 6, 2017

Lip Sync issues with Soundtouch 300 Sounbar

Hi. I have a Soundtouch 300 soundbar connected to a Panasonic TV via HDMI. This works well.

I also connect my BluRay player and Sky HD+ receiver to the TV via HDMI.

Problem is both Bluray player and the Sky box suffer from lip sync issues. I can align the Sky one with the delays on SKy settings but I often have to pause and play just to get these in sync or voice is seconds behind the video - once aligned they are OK. I can resolve this by connecting Sky via optical but his seems overkill - now with optical and HMDI incoming to the Soundbar.

This still leaves me with the Panasonic BluRay issue - now getting lip sync on that as well?

Thoughts anyone? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
nickj
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 7, 2017

Re: Lip Sync issues with Soundtouch 300 Sounbar

Author Accepted Answer selected by mickeybarbs

One problem with some TV's (like Panasonic, Sony, Toshiba, etc.) is that they add an audio delay equal to their video delay but do not allow the user to change it. For example if the TV has 70 ms video delay they add 70 ms audio delay not only to their internal speakers but also to their s/pdif output.  (or ARC output via HDMI cable)

The problem with that (not allowing the user to turn it off or change the delay) is it deprives you of the negative adjustment range that inherent video delay would have given you to correct for signals that arrive already delayed or are delayed by a sound system like Sonos.  Sonos has about 30 ms audio delay which yiou may notice on a Panasonic since they have already corrected for their TV's delay.

I have a Samsung and a Vizio TV and they allow the user to change the audio delay.  I set it to zero so I start with about 60 ms video delay and use a Felston DD740 for perfect lip sync.  When the DD740 is set to 60 ms a signal that arrives in sync (rare) will stay in sync but if audio arrives early (the usual case) I add more audio delay to correct it.  If audio arrives delayed then I back down form 60 using the TV's video delay to cancel the arriving audio delay (or delay added by a sound system).  That gives me a range of -60 to + 620 ms.  The DD740 adjusts in 1 ms steps.  Actually it can adjust in 1/3 ms steps but I don't use that feature as 1 ms is good enough for me.

If your Panasonic automatic audio delay is the problem the only way I know to gain access to the inherent video delay is to route your audio from each source directly to the DD740 bypassing the TV.  You can still use HDMI for video to the TV.

You could try it directly to your Bose without a lip-sync correction device like the Felston but that may make everything else seem out of sync.  Companies like Alchemy2 and Primare make similar lip-sync correction units to the Felston DD740 like I have.  Theyt all delay digital audio in 1 ms steps without plastering menus on screen so you can tweak it for prefect sync while watching moving lips.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
nickj
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 7, 2017

Author Accepted Answer selected by mickeybarbs

One problem with some TV's (like Panasonic, Sony, Toshiba, etc.) is that they add an audio delay equal to their video delay but do not allow the user to change it. For example if the TV has 70 ms video delay they add 70 ms audio delay not only to their internal speakers but also to their s/pdif output.  (or ARC output via HDMI cable)

The problem with that (not allowing the user to turn it off or change the delay) is it deprives you of the negative adjustment range that inherent video delay would have given you to correct for signals that arrive already delayed or are delayed by a sound system like Sonos.  Sonos has about 30 ms audio delay which yiou may notice on a Panasonic since they have already corrected for their TV's delay.

I have a Samsung and a Vizio TV and they allow the user to change the audio delay.  I set it to zero so I start with about 60 ms video delay and use a Felston DD740 for perfect lip sync.  When the DD740 is set to 60 ms a signal that arrives in sync (rare) will stay in sync but if audio arrives early (the usual case) I add more audio delay to correct it.  If audio arrives delayed then I back down form 60 using the TV's video delay to cancel the arriving audio delay (or delay added by a sound system).  That gives me a range of -60 to + 620 ms.  The DD740 adjusts in 1 ms steps.  Actually it can adjust in 1/3 ms steps but I don't use that feature as 1 ms is good enough for me.

If your Panasonic automatic audio delay is the problem the only way I know to gain access to the inherent video delay is to route your audio from each source directly to the DD740 bypassing the TV.  You can still use HDMI for video to the TV.

You could try it directly to your Bose without a lip-sync correction device like the Felston but that may make everything else seem out of sync.  Companies like Alchemy2 and Primare make similar lip-sync correction units to the Felston DD740 like I have.  Theyt all delay digital audio in 1 ms steps without plastering menus on screen so you can tweak it for prefect sync while watching moving lips.

View solution in original post

mickeybarbs
Participant
Registered since

Jul 6, 2017

Thanks very useful. I will give this a try