Rob Vanderbroeck
Advocate
Registered since

Nov 22, 2018

Livingroom setup soundtouch.

Hi,

Last week I tryed a couple of ST 10 III in stereopairing and in partymood, but the soundquality was not what I hoped for and the roomfilling sound was poor. In stereopairing mode I had to change the balance between the speakers to much, in partymood I found the soundquality of the ST 10 III to poor.

I turned both the ST 10 III ub for a ST 20 III and the soundquality is a lot better and it sounds more roomfilling than the two ST 10 III. Now I want to create a more roomfilling sound in my livingroom and I am not sure what to do.

Can I try a ST 300 soundbar and play it together with the ST 20 III or should I try it with a second ST 20 III or perhaps a ST 10 III in the same room. Who has some experience in this matter.

regards,

Rob

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rob Vanderbroeck
Advocate
Registered since

Nov 22, 2018

Re: Livingroom setup soundtouch.

Author Accepted Answer selected by Rob Vanderbroeck

Hi Joel,

I get the picture, what I want is not possible. There will alway's be a audio sync issue when video is involved. I will not spent € 639 to get an out of sync room filling TV sound. I just tried to connect one ST20 with AUX and sound is synchronised but when I turn on the second ST20 sound is not synchronised. Turning on video sync option only makes it worse. 

So no need to spent that kind of money on the ST300. I will keep searching for on kind of solution in combination with my Samsung soundbar with sub.

Thanx for your support, I will close this topic when possible appreciate the effort.

Regards,

Rob

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Tony_A
Community Manager - Retired
Registered since

Mar 15, 2018

Hi Rob,

Thanks for writing in!  

Any of our SoundTouch products can be grouped together to achieve a wireless setup throughout the house.  For this particular room, have you considered looking into a SoundTouch 30 III?  These systems have built in woofers and should fill this room without an issue with a single speaker.  You can certainly add another SoundTouch 20 III, however you would not get a stereo pairing like the SoundTouch 10 systems.  

Warm Regards,

Tony A - Community Support 

Rob Vanderbroeck
Advocate
Registered since

Nov 22, 2018

@Tony_A wrote:

Hi Rob,

Thanks for writing in!  

Any of our SoundTouch products can be grouped together to achieve a wireless setup throughout the house.  For this particular room, have you considered looking into a SoundTouch 30 III?  These systems have built in woofers and should fill this room without an issue with a single speaker.  You can certainly add another SoundTouch 20 III, however you would not get a stereo pairing like the SoundTouch 10 systems.  

Warm Regards,

Tony A - Community Support 

Hi Tony,

A friend of mine has the ST 30 III and last weekend I installed my ST 20 III next to his ST 30 III and we did a comparison test with simmelar radio channels. I didn't no that the ST 30 III had a soundwoofer and I wanted to hear the difference.

Playing add a loud volume the ST 30 III was indeed a lot better, but I use the ST as an background device playing different content and my ST 20 III was ok playing at a low sound level. My wife also dislikes hard bass sounds, so I would be better of with a second ST 20 III playing party mode or adding 2 ST 10 III in stereo paring. Right now I am checking out the option to find a ST 300 soundbar and add this to my livingroom in the app. Do you know if its possible to play one ST 20 III and two ST 10 III ( in stereo pairing ) together in a play all setting.

thx for your reaction

Joel_D
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi Rob,

Thank you for getting back to us.

Yes, you would absolutely be able to use "Play All" with a pair of SoundTouch 10's in stereo pairing along with a SoundTouch 20.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Warm Regards,

Joel 

Rob Vanderbroeck
Advocate
Registered since

Nov 22, 2018

Hi all,

Today I went to germany and bought a second ST 20 III for my livingroom. I connected the speaker and playing both together gives a magnificient room-filling sound were the ST 30 III cannot compete with. Next thing I want to do is add a ST300 soundbar to the system so I can combine the music I play from internetradio and streamingservices on both ST 20 III and the ST300. And secondly I want to play the content from the ST300 ( by Optical input or HDMI ARC ) also in the Livingroom group ( ST 20 ' s and ST 300 ).

I know that it is possible to play the first option, but the second one is that also possible ?

Regards 

Rob

Joel_D
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi Rob,

Glad to hear you love your new SoundTouch 20!!

As for the SoundTouch 300 being able to rebroadcast a signal to the other SoundTouch systems you have in your home, yes you can absolutely do that.

This is known as "Wired Rebroadcast," and a helpful video can be found HERE in the videos section.

If you have any other questions about this, let me know.

Warm Regards,

Joel 

Rob Vanderbroeck
Advocate
Registered since

Nov 22, 2018

Hi Joel,

Tommorrow I am going back to Herzogenrath to get the ST 300 soundbar. I will use the video sync option when I play content by HDMI ARC ( movies from Kodi eg ) and when I play audio I do not have to enable the Video sync option. 

Something strange happened today, when playing in party mode ( play all ) I noticed that turning of the speakers with the remote one speaker turned of and the other still kept playing. The volume button on the remote works ( synchronises the volume on both ST 20 III ) before posting this I just tried it again and now turning of works. I also noticed that the icon's on the display of the speakers differs. The speaker I turn on first will show on both sides a kind of " soundwave " icon. If I power up the speakers the other way around the icon shows on the other speaker. Is this something like the stereo pairing option on the ST 10 III ( left speaker respons to the remote and the right doesn't ? )

regards,

Rob

Joel_D
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi Rob,

The Soundwave around the logo of your speaker in the app is just to let you know you're using "Play All" and that speaker is the main one of the group. If you do only shut one speaker on it is normal behavior for the other one to keep playing until you shut it down. 

As for using Wired Rebroadcast when you're using the SoundTouch 300 as a source. There will be an inherent delay to your other speakers of a few seconds; this is not meant to be used as a home theater like audio solution when using "Play All" from a video source.

If you're using "Play All' with a SoundTouch streaming service it will work in unison with your other speakers with no delay; the delay only happens with video sources.

Regards,

Joel 

Rob Vanderbroeck
Advocate
Registered since

Nov 22, 2018

He Joel,

This means I can not play video content from my TV synchronised over both the bar and the two ST 20's ? Only streaming audio wil by synced ? What exactly does the option video sync in the group setting section mean. I remember last week I was experimenting with the ST 10 's and I connected one with the headphone output from my TV there was a lipsync problem and after enabling the video sync option everything was OK. 

I just can not remember if I was using the stereo pairing or party mode. If it worked in stereo pairing I wil have a problem with my two ST 20's as they will not operate in stereo mode.

I will be better of returning one of the ST 20 and buy the ST 300 and return the other ST 20 and change back to the two ST 10's.

One ST 300 and two ST 10 will give a better roomfilling sound for both video/audio playback than with two ST 20 's and it wil save me € 300.

I wil try with the ST20 if they play to headphone output from my TV without lipsync.

Regards,

Rob

Joel_D
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi Rob,

I appreciate the questions so you can figure out what is going to be best for you.

This might provide a bit more insight on how Wired Rebroadcast works with the SoundTouch 300.

Video Sync setting for the main speaker aka SoundTouch 300

• Video Sync will appear as an option for the system that is broadcasting the audio from its connected auxiliary device. To gain access to the setting, customers will select “Group Settings” in the Speaker Details screen of the main speaker
    • When set to “On” – The main speaker will produce audio 3 seconds sooner than any speakers added to it’s group or in Play All
      • This is most beneficial when the main speaker is an audio for video product, such as a SoundTouch 300. Therefore, it will keep the SoundTouch 300 in sync with the video on the connected television
      • All other speakers in the group or Play All will have a 3-second delay from the main speaker
    • When set to “Off” – The main speaker will produce audio in sync with any speaker(s) added to its group or in Play All
      • If the main speaker is connected to a video display, the audio will not be in sync with any video content being displayed

Hope this helps clarify it a bit more for you.

Warm Regards,

Joel